Thread: PBR Rainguard

mtbr member

PBR Rainguard

Just had my Lefty converted to PBR. I live in Seattle (you know what we're famous for, other than coffee, software and terrible pro sports teams)....RAIN! I never used the lock-out before the conversion and don't plan to change.

There are times (hunting deer, for example) when my bike must sit for hours in the rain. Without the lock-out lever in the way, it seems obvious that Cannondale would manufacture some kind of plastic/rubber rain hood one could slip over the top of the fork. Is there such a thing? Currently the top of my Lefty looks like a funnel for rain water.
    Wisdom is the domain of the Wiz...which is extinct. FZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    condom?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Damn, I signed into this one thinking you'd come up with a slick solution.

You're correct, it does catch a lot of crap, dirt too, not just water. I rebuild a fair number of these when they come in, just to get them functioning again. Luckily they are pretty simple to pull apart, even for the not so mechanically inclined.

But yes, a shower cap is a great idea. I like the condom concept, but unless they make a John Holmes version, I'm thinking the Lefty is too fat for that

Plastic bag with a rubber band is the wicked cheap and dirty option. Got a sewing machine happy person in your life? A bit of elastic and some coated nylon would do the trick too....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Helmetless Crasher
    Magnum-sized condom
    saran wrap or plastic baggie w/ rubber band or zip tie.

I honestly would use a different bike (like an old Huffy) for leaving it out in torrential rains, though . . . just sayin'
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Yeah, Mendon, pretty easy to rig something. The condoms I buy would probably rattle around on there. Riding in the rain or letting it sit in the rain.....what's the difference? In Seattle, you ride in the rain or you don't ride.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by pope View Post
    Riding in the rain or letting it sit in the rain.....what's the difference? In Seattle, you ride in the rain or you don't ride.
    I can see buying an expensive high-tech bike for RIDING in the rain. One can enjoy the high-performance nature of the machine under those circumstances.

I would not buy/use one for the purpose of sitting it in the rain for hours while I'm engaged in some other activity. I'd use an old beater bike for that.

Its your bike - obviously do with it whatever you desire. But if you are concerned about water-related wear/damage . . . you may want to minimize exposure to water whenev practical.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    I can see buying an expensive high-tech bike for RIDING in the rain. One can enjoy the high-performance nature of the machine under those circumstances.

I would not buy/use one for the purpose of sitting it in the rain for hours while I'm engaged in some other activity. I'd use an old beater bike for that.

Its your bike - obviously do with it whatever you desire. But if you are concerned about water-related wear/damage . . . you may want to minimize exposure to water whenev practical.
    You wanna climb 2 or 3 thousand feet, while pulling a trailer and packing a rifle, on a 45-pound Huffy? Go for it! I'm only concerned with keeping my Lefty out of the shop. The rest of the bike is easy to work on and holds up well in these conditions (2006 Furio-X still going strong).

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The condoms I buy would probably rattle around on there.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Helmetless Crasher
    You wanna climb 2 or 3 thousand feet, while pulling a trailer and packing a rifle, on a 45-pound Huffy? Go for it! I'm only concerned with keeping my Lefty out of the shop. The rest of the bike is easy to work on and holds up well in these conditions (2006 Furio-X still going strong).
    LOL! I hear ya.

That sounds like some fun hunting/riding you do! Got any pics?

I threw "Huffy" out there as a joke. Maybe an old high-quality bike in good repair would be better suited for the job. My old Stumpy HT weighs about 24lbs and climbs like a friggin mountain goat on crack. But frankly, considering you are pulling a trailer and hunting gear, + or - 10lb of bike weight is not all that important.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    LOL! I hear ya.

That sounds like some fun hunting/riding you do! Got any pics?

I threw "Huffy" out there as a joke. Maybe an old high-quality bike in good repair would be better suited for the job. My old Stumpy HT weighs about 24lbs and climbs like a friggin mountain goat on crack. But frankly, considering you are pulling a trailer and hunting gear, + or - 10lb of bike weight is not all that important.
    It's a blast! Just started last year and haven't tagged out yet (blacktail deer are so challenging), but the bike and locked gates combo lets me go where pressure is light. I do plan to set up a utility bike and ditch the trailer for some panniers. 24 pounds for your HT sounds awesome.