mtbr member

Painting my Carbon Lefty Clamps

I have a Carbon Lefty SL/DLR and I want to paint my clamps. Currently they are silver but I would like to paint them red or white. Have any of you guys done this before and if so any tips or tricks.

Ridin' dirty!
    Why would you want to paint them to begin with?
    If you use the bike/fork what it is intended for, the silver is the best choice since it doesn't show scratches and cable rub that much.....

Other than that I would think that anything epoxy based would be the best bet....make sure you use masking tape, only exposing the clamps, use a steel wool pad to remove the factory clear coat and to roughen up the surface, use an ammonia based wash to degrease and clean the prepped surface, use a self etching primer as a base and then pick whatever paint/color you like.

Once painted in the desired color 1-2 coats of clear will give you some extra protection against scratches and such.....
    Don't forget to also tape off the mating surface inside the clamps where the steerer tube will have contact....
    IMHO way to much work for an "updated" look, since I bet that's what you shootin' for, right?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Why would you want to paint them to begin with?
    If you use the bike/fork what it is intended for, the silver is the best choice since it doesn't show scratches and cable rub that much.....

Other than that I would think that anything epoxy based would be the best bet....make sure you use masking tape, only exposing the clamps, use a steel wool pad to remove the factory clear coat and to roughen up the surface, use an ammonia based wash to degrease and clean the prepped surface, use a self etching primer as a base and then pick whatever paint/color you like.

Once painted in the desired color 1-2 coats of clear will give you some extra protection against scratches and such.....
    Don't forget to also tape off the mating surface inside the clamps where the steerer tube will have contact....
    IMHO way to much work for an "updated" look, since I bet that's what you shootin' for, right?
    Actually I wanted to paint them red or white to match my bike since it red/white. The silver does stick out like a sore thumb though. I like projects as well though. A couple beers, garage, bike I'm good to go!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    if you take a look at the volvo team bike on here...

Post your F and Caffeine series bike

Mr. IROC-Z had that lefty painted, there is a thread dedicated to the project but i'm not too sure where. i think it looks magnificent!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well.. you could do all the fancy prep stuff or you could just try a light sanding to rough the up, mask them, and spray paint them using a high quality spray can paint. Use small clear cable rub protectors where necessary and you might be just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    scuff sand with 400 or 600, clean well, then if you want it to last, find the proper primer, then paint... unless you can find a paint claiming not to need a primer before metal.. (been a while since I've painted cars!)

Depending on where you live you can have just about any auto paint put in a spray can... (not in greater metro areas of California any more...)

Basically if you scuff sand, clean well ( with enamel reducer or like) and paint you should be good.
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    Well.. you could do all the fancy prep stuff or you could just try a light sanding to rough the up, mask them, and spray paint them using a high quality spray can paint. Use small clear cable rub protectors where necessary and you might be just fine.
    The paint job will only be as good as your "Fancy prep stuff".
    Zinc plated metal and aluminum always need more care when prepping for paint.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The paint job will only be as good as your "Fancy prep stuff".
    You should know this since I saw some of your artwork before....do you still do it btw?
    HUH? I have no idea what you are talking about... I have never painted any bike parts much less displayed them anywhere. You must be confusing me with someone else...

Ridin' dirty!
    HUH? I have no idea what you are talking about... I have never painted any bike parts much less displayed them anywhere. You must be confusing me with someone else...
    I meant your painted model tanks and such.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I meant your painted model tanks and such.....
    Ah.. a fellow eBayer.. No.. those model tanks I was selling were built by me over 30 years ago during my teenage model building "career". I definitely have no experience in painting non-plastic items like Lefty clamps.. and it sounds like a pain in the a$$ to do it the right way!!
    Last edited by vitaccop; 01-22-2011 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Ah.. a fellow eBayer.. No.. those model tanks I was selling were built by me over 30 years ago during my teenage model building "career". I definitely have no experience in painting non-plastic items like Lefty clamps.. and it sounds like a pain in the a$$ to do it the right way!!
    I think I'm going to take it to a body shop to see what they would charge. Probably $75-$100 at most. Maybe less. I work for BMW so I could see what one of our shops will charge. For me to buy materials would probably be $25-$50 plus time and inexperience. So I might be better off paying someone to do it. I'll have it off anyway to send it to Craig at Mendon Cyclesmith to do the PBR or XLR conversion. We'll see.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I plan to pait on Lefty clamps too.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonrunning

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Go figure. I wish I has white to match my bike. Lets swap uppers! Lol!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonrunning

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Did you get yours tuned by Eighty Aid? What did they do to it?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I do only sticker job on Lefty

not tune it.