Thread: Paint

trail demon
    Jun 2005

Paint

My prophets been suffering from a few clicking noises while out on the trails so i thought i'd inspect the rear shock mount bolts etc. While undoing the bolt from one side i found the paint flaked off should this happen, is it general wear? very minor i know but has anyone else had problems with the paint finish, doesn't seem that durable to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by d4re; 01-14-2006 at 10:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by d4re
    My prophets been suffering from a few clicking noises while out on the trails so i thought i'd inspect the rear shock mount bolts etc. While undoing the bolt from one side i found the paint just flaked off on the edge! should this happen, is it classed as general wear? to me it seems a little poor, only minor i know but has anyone else had paint problems in the same area, finish doesn't seem that durable to me.
    not even worth

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Should look like this....

Quote Originally Posted by d4re
    My prophets been suffering from a few clicking noises while out on the trails so i thought i'd inspect the rear shock mount bolts etc. While undoing the bolt from one side i found the paint flaked off should this happen, is it general wear? very minor i know but has anyone else had problems with the paint finish, doesn't seem that durable to me.
    Just wanted to mention that I waited too long before cleaning and greasing the shock pivot bushings so I will be replacing them, and the mounting bolts soon. I noticed some play when lifting the saddle, took the pivots apart, and no surprise they were full of dirt, and the plating was rusted off the mounting bolt. My fault.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Not good that paint flaking off

Hi! That would seriously P**S me off. Last year I jetwashed my Prophet 800 and the paint flaked off big style underneath the frame I'd only had the bike 4 weeks. Before anyone says "you should never jetwash your bike!", this jetwash was set up just enough to get the mud off your bike after a race and I didn't see anyone elses paint flaking off!
    Anyhow I took my bike to my LBS and they didn't hesitate to send it off for a respray, don't forget your frame has a lifetime warranty its just not good enough that chunks of paint are falling off your bike IMO.
    The only downside was I was without my Prophet for six weeks as it was sent to Cannondale Europe (in Holland) for its respray and I live in the UK. Guess resprays could be quicker in the US though I doubt it.
    I'd try taking it back to your dealer and see what they think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    my prophet also lost paint around the shock mount area in the same spot as in the photo from d4re. same thing in the area under the seatpost clamp. paint also gone from area on downtube behind headtube from cable rub.

mtbr member

Normal Wear

There should be a thin rubber washer design to minimize metal/paint contact stresses. Same thing happened while I was relubing shock bolts on mine. In an ideal full suspension design the rear shock pivot(hole) should be the component taking the wear and tear, not the Al frame/mounting holes, paint, or SS bolts. Oh well, at least I don't have a bike with multi-pivot, bar linkages.

mtbr member

..And don't forget 5Nm(44in*lbs)

Even with proper torque wrench, this still happened

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    definately!!! i'm completely neurotic about proper torque on hardware. you're right though, the paint situation still happens. i've already found at least five other things to worry about (creaking noises, is this or that bent?, is my chain too loose?, could my suspension settings be better?, do my shin guards match my gloves?). you see, all of these issues are far more pressing than the bare aluminum on my frame. ha-ha

mtbr member
    Hmmm.... Thats weird my freind has a Prophet and the paint on his seems very top notch durablity wise.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

Members who have read this thread: 0