mtbr member

Paging jeffj - Super V Qs

Over the last 1 1/2 months as my Slayer has been out of commision (don't ask) I've enjoyed a summer fling with my old flame, the Super V. Tomorrow I pick up the Slayer, finally, but here's the thing; I can't stop loving the C'dale! I'm getting her back into her rightful smooth working order, no more dark basement corners, she's going into regular rotation. Ever since I viewed your pic and read your post, the wheels have been turning. I've found the Minute 1:00, Black Elite RTWD, and Firefly, all for decent prices, with the Minute being only 40 bucks more than the other 2. Now, you've got the Minute, you say you like it, and it revived your bike. What kind of riding do you do? Do you do any drops,jumps, etc. and if so, what size/degree of this kind of usage have you experience. I drop up to 5-6 feet, and think maybe the Firefly might be a better fit for me, but the weight if the thing ( claimed 4.9 lbs on the site, but who knows for sure) scares me. Did the increased weight of the front end dramatically change your bike? So many questions....

R.I.P. DogFriend
    .Font was messed up so I reposted.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I don’t do 5 or 6 foot to flat drops (if it had a transition landing maybe, but not to flat). If I did, a Firefly would be my choice over the Minute, especially considering my size (6’5” – 270lbs). The aluminum steerer portion on the Minute is what I would be most concerned about rather than the crown itself or the 30mm stanchions. I’m not a jumper per se, but I love to get air when I can although I rarely get more than a couple off the ground or more more than 20 feet in length through the air. I ride mainly XC type trails here in SoCal, but ride my local DH course when I can as it connects to the XC trails in the area. I may be slow up the hill, but I’m at least an average descender. My guess is that your trails are more technical, but not quite as fast when descending which means nothing more than “different”.

I’ll give you my $.02 after having the Minute One for nine months on my SV 900.

I think the Headshock I have (Super Fatty with SL cartridge – 80mm travel air spring with 5 position damping adjuster) weighed about 3.5lbs amd the Minue 1:00 is about 4lbs. Not that much difference. The Firefly might be noticeably different, but with a slightly longer axle to crown length, this might be a good thing. At any rate, the bike feels balanced weight wise to me.

There are things that can ‘improve’ (make a noticeable difference) a bike and then there are things that ‘transform’ (make enough difference that it feels like a different bike) a bike. Putting the Swinger on the rear made a very noticeable improvement in the ride of the bike for me, but it is definitely the Minute 1:00 that’ transformed’ it enough to seem like a new bike, especially in the more technical sections of a trail.

After nine months, I still love the way the fork performs. For me at 270lbs, putting the firm ride spring in it allowed me to back out the volume adjuster on the SPV, making for more linear travel. This made it perform much better on the medium size hits and especially ‘sustained abuse’ situations such as a rock garden.

When climbing in 130mm mode, the front end is somewhat ‘lighter’, but not so much that it makes climbing in that mode unpleasant. It is better if I wind it down to 100mm though. Sometimes, I’ll be halfway up a climb before I even think about it. It’s got to be fairly steep before it’s a factor. What I’m trying to say is that even though the Headshock was 80mm, the Minute with it’s 100mm to 130mm travel is an excellent fit. The axle to crown is about the same on the Minute at 100mm as the Headshock was at 80mm.

I see it flex more than the Headshock did, but it is still worlds faster than it was before. I can (and do) look for rougher parts of the trail to bomb through just for kicks that I would previously have been careful to pick only the smoothest lines. I think it is both the increased travel along with the quality of that travel that allows this to happen.

When descending tricky low speed switchbacks, it does steer better in 100mm mode. But I can ride all day in either 100mm or 130mm and not feel like I had to change if I didn’t want to.

The Cane Creek adaptor headset works perfectly for this conversion. I did the work myself and it was not difficult.

A few other things to consider:

The only negative so far has been since I have installed an 8” rotor on the Minute 1:00. The Avid mechanical performs incredibly well. Better than I thought possible, but being that I am a “plus sized” individual, there is enough flex in the fork & hub that I have to fiddle at times to keep the rotor from “singing” as it rubs ever so slightly once I have put my weight onto it. It never was an issue with the 6” rotor and if I could perfectly true the rotor, it might not be an issue, but it happens at times. I do remove and replace the front wheel often when the bike is transported, so that doesn’t help matters.

It’s not all the time and it’s VERY minor, not enough to feel like it actually drags, but I hear it. This makes me wonder if maybe in my situation with my size and the 8” rotor, the Firefly with a 20mm axle would not have this issue. Hard to say because the flex could be coming from the hubs (Deore) and QR axle. I can adjust it so that it rubs a little when I’m off the bike and then it won’t while I ride and vice-versa. The tricky part is adjusting it so it will never rub. I like my brakes to engage sooner rather than later so that adds to the problem.

If you are not close to being as big as I am, I would not worry about using 8” rotors on the Minute. They would be fine.

I had both Magura and Hayes hydraulics on the bike and with their 6” rotors, it was not difficult to get the rotors smoking hot. The last straw was when I was descending a steep firebreak and I was even cooking the calipers to the point where I had almost no brakes. Something had to change. 8” Avid mechanicals have been a blessing. They have not given any hint of overheating although I have not been back on that one particular firebreak. I would probably recommend a 7” rear and 8” front to be perfectly balanced and have great performance.

If you do get a rotor larger than the 6” it will be necessary to get a post mount adaptor.

THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: If you do get any Manitou fork and run disc brakes on it, MAKE SURE to use the longest bolts possible to secure the caliper (or adaptor) to the lower fork leg. Using the stock length bolts in many cases can strip out the threads on the lowers. ALSO make sure to torque to no more than 85 inch pounds no matter what any brake makers instruction say (EVEN THOUGH MANITOU’S MANUAL SAYS TO FOLLOW THE BRAKE MAKER’S INSTRUCTIONS). Sorry to ‘shout’, but this is important. If you get hold of Manitou tech support, they will tell you the same thing.

The Firefly is a beautiful fork and quite substantial and even though it is a pound heavier, I would not rule it out in this application (even for me).

If you’re not snoring by now, I hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

mtbr member

Smile Great

Thanks for the info Jeff, very helpful. I come in at about 6 ft 1 and 220 lbs all suited up, and yes, our trails are technical with not much in the way of hills. But WOW do we have rocks, drops (5-6 at most for me but the sky's the limit here), roots, and standard New England singletrack. I do make the occasional trip up to MAine, VT, or NH, to play in the mountains, but in general its rocky coast riding for me.
    This would be a gradual upgrading process, beginning with the fork I think, as deals are around right now. Down the road, I'd like to deal with the rear shock although considering every single part on the bike, the Vanilla has been the absolute last thing on my list of things to scrutinize; I've been very pleased with it and believe me, this bike has not been babied. In fact, I have nicknames like "Ruiner of fine things" and "Baby Gorilla" due to a late growth spurt in life (3 inches and 40 lbs freshman year in college) - I got used to my body a certain size and all of a sudden one day I'm much bigger. My brain still thinks I'm a medium, but I'm an XL all the way, so in my mind I'm always pushing harder to keep up with the big boys. Throw in some hyperactivity and things just get broken. Or maybe I'm just a wild thrashing bomber with a low skill level. Not a peep out of the Fox in 5 years, and I don't remember feeling it bottom out hard on me, ever. I do have the bigger spring in there so that probably helps, but it sounds like the new rear shock would kick it up a notch. I'll have to keep my eyes open, but a new bike for the wife has to come first. She deserves it (birthday + 1st anniversary + toasting our guy friends while she's on her POS hardtail = bling bike).
    The minute sounds like it would work, I just wonder about the pounding it might take. I'm not a freerider by any stretch, but I like to go with the flow, and if the ground just drops away, I like to fly. Adding 1 1/2 lbs to the front end with the Firefly though, not too sure about that one. I don't have enough experience with fork swapping to know how that will change the bike. I can imagine, do the math, and draw out the before /after sketch, but the actual feel will be a mystery 'til it gets done.
    Thanks again for the help and any other input is welcome.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have the #1050 spring on my Fox Vanilla rear shock and the sag was still at around 35% to 40%. Now I keep it at 25% and the ride quality is noticeably better, but not anything earth shattering., so replacing the Vanilla would be down on my list as well.

Other forks I seriously considered were the Fox Vanilla 125RLC and the Marzocchi Z1 FR SL w/ECC (that’s a mouthful). I did get to try a Vanilla 125 RLC on a Giant AC and it was very nice too. I didn’t think it was any stiffer than the Minute. The ride of the Vanilla was just a small increment plusher, but not by much. In the end it was the travel adjustment feature that swayed me most toward the Minute 1:00. I would liked to have been able to test a Z1 FR SL too, but was unable to do so although the weight on it is closer to the Firefly than to the that of the Minute 1:00.

mtbr member

Marz Z1 FR

That's what I have on my Slayer, which I just picked up from the shop, and I really like it. Down at the shop they seemed to like the Firefly idea. I'm thinking it makes sense, that way I can make the C'dale my "bigger" bike and keeep the Slayer as is. Got to go ride.

mtbr member

Btw

Is the Cane Creek headset reasonably priced? I've seem an FSA headset doing the same thing. Not sure how those stack up.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Slayer
    Is the Cane Creek headset reasonably priced? I've seem an FSA headset doing the same thing. Not sure how those stack up.

I think it was about $50 but don't remember for sure as I got it all at once...

If you go for it, I would like to see some pics of the end result.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just try a Z1 fr coil over, a little weight penalty but reaaly the best damping out there; It's what i've put on front of my super V, a 2003 Z1 fr. The fr sl is not so reliable, more difficult to be tuned. Plus, the height of the Z1 makes for a really sweet geometry on downhills while the ETA cartridge is very worthy on pavement or steep uphills
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I have the #1050 spring on my Fox Vanilla rear shock and the sag was still at around 35% to 40%. Now I keep it at 25% and the ride quality is noticeably better, but not anything earth shattering., so replacing the Vanilla would be down on my list as well.

Other forks I seriously considered were the Fox Vanilla 125RLC and the Marzocchi Z1 FR SL w/ECC (that’s a mouthful). I did get to try a Vanilla 125 RLC on a Giant AC and it was very nice too. I didn’t think it was any stiffer than the Minute. The ride of the Vanilla was just a small increment plusher, but not by much. In the end it was the travel adjustment feature that swayed me most toward the Minute 1:00. I would liked to have been able to test a Z1 FR SL too, but was unable to do so although the weight on it is closer to the Firefly than to the that of the Minute 1:00.