mtbr member
    Jan 2004

paging Dogwood. ? for you

you mentioned an excellent idea in a previous post about using the 1.5 hollow steering tube for storage. a tube would probably stay in there no problem but do you have something in the bottom to keep other items in? I lost my top cap so I can't try that. I strap either a Big Air or sealant canister to the leg. I prefer to have it up front so I can keep an eye on it.

mtbr member
    I bought an extra top cap to put in the bottom, with a notch in it to go where the pop rivet is. I covered the rivet with a bit of 2-part epoxy to protect the tube I stuff in the bottom, the tube actually keeps the co2 with Air Chuck from falling out the bottom. I lined the inner walls with the fuzzy side of some sticky backed velcro to keep the co2 from rattling. My tools are a stripped down Topeak Hummer, all the tools I needed are together on one of the bolts with the tire lever that works the chain tool held to it with a rubber band. the tool is in a tiny ziploc bag with an extra powerlink. The width of the bolt just happened to exactly fit the inner diameter so it doesn't rattle at all. I had to leave the top edge of the velcro @ 1.5" down from the top of the steerer tube. I also have some glueless patches in there in case the tube is damaged from stuffing it in there or pulling it out.

mtbr member

Toolkit in Lefty

Quote Originally Posted by dang
    you mentioned an excellent idea in a previous post about using the 1.5 hollow steering tube for storage. a tube would probably stay in there no problem but do you have something in the bottom to keep other items in? I lost my top cap so I can't try that. I strap either a Big Air or sealant canister to the leg. I prefer to have it up front so I can keep an eye on it.
    The 12g. co2 and tube are in the lower 4 1/4". I forgot that I got rid of the sticky back velcro when I decided I could get a tube in there too. Now the tube keeps the co2 from rattling. It's a pain getting it in there too so I didn't want to take it out just for pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    great pictures. I've been looking down that tube since I lost my cap and now I have some ideas. thanks.

Huge Tracts of Land
    dogwood you be the MAN!

awesome

but doesn't it rattle?

mtbr member
    No rattles at all. I just got really lucky that the tool worked out to be such an exact fit. I warn you, though, it's a pain in the ass to get the tube in there. It took me hours to figure it out, and even knowing how to fold it, it still isn't easy. I think the tube I have in there is a Torrelli Extra Lite (.4mm. wall thickness).
    I honestly don't think the tube is even worth the trouble. With Stan's sealant I've had punctures in the sidewalls that lost a lot of air, but they did seal after I laid the bike on its side to get the sealant on the sidewall. I'd rather have a 24g. CO2 cartridge than the 12g. I have now. In a race I would still carry the tube and CO2 in a seat wedge, but the tools would be right there at the top of my steerer tube.