mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New question here. Other Rizes with tire clearance issues?

After putting Specialized Eskar 2.3 tires on, I have noticed some rubbing now and then. When washing the bike after this weekends epic, I noticed scratches on the seat tube (first picture).
    I then took the air out of the shock, and compressed the rear suspension completely. The wheel touches! (pic 2) Seem to get a few mm short on stroke also. (pic3)
    My Prophet never did this. The tire isn't that big, 55 mm high from the rim. The shock has the correct length, 200 mm.
    Between the rocker and the seatpost, clearance is 10 mm. (pic 4) Distance from the upper shock mount to upper rocker mount is 225 mm.

Could there be something wrong with the frame, maybe the upper shock mount is misplaced too much forward on the frame? What is other Rize-owners experience? My frame is a carbon Medium.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Do anyone experience the tire touching the frame on any other full suspension bike?
    I have e-mailed the dealer with the pictures.

mtbr member
    The rear tire on my Jekyll rubs when I set the geometry to the free ride position. That sucks if it rubs, it really damages the paint.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I agree, so I am back on Nobby Nic 2.25 on the rear. They dont rub. My old Prophet never did, in any setting.

But what a great bike the Rize is - plush, feels like huge amount of travel, and still super responsive with great acceleration.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No rubbing issues, but I've still not come close to bottoming the shock and I snapped the chain like it was plastic with less than 5 hrs in the saddle (In the granny gear and I only weigh 150lbs too!)....I was going to put a 2.3 on soon, so I'll let you know

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Finally - the lbs just mailed me that a new frame is on the way. Still waiting for an explanation on what was wrong. Great customer service, only asked for status once!

Interesting to see if there will be any changes in how it rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You did the right thing with the good pic's.
    It would almost have to be a faulty frame,short stays,pivot location.

Great company to deal with though .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    So there was something wrong with the frame? I was gonna say, I ran 2.3 Ignitors while it was wet here in FL and never had a problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've got a 2.25 Maxxis Crossmark on the back of mine, which is absolutely huge, almost as big as a 2.35 Nevegal, and bigger than a 2.4 Motoraptor. No problems at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I really don't know, the only info I have is they sent me a new one. Not recieved it yet.
    When the frame arrives, I will do some measurements and maybe pictures and post it here.

I am also wondering if I get the whole frame including links and stays or just the main triangle. This will give a clue to us where the misalignment has been. My theory is that the upper shock mount is misplace a bit anteriorly.

Members who have read this thread: 0