mtbr member

Optional reducer headset OTHER than Cane Creek Double XC short?

Howdy,

I have a Cane Creek Double Xc Short on my older Cdale F300 hardtail and was hoping there was a less expensive option for a new headset. Does anyone know if the any of the FSA 1.5 products have the shorter insertion depth needed for my frame? I do not have the steer tube length for adaptors and all that, I would rather just get a new cane creek than deal with that mess.

Or, is it possible to replace the sealed bearings in my current headset? Anyone with experience with this?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Hi,

Insteed of using a CaneCreek Headset, you can use a Woodman Saturn HS or a FSA dedicated to C'dale frame. But, in my opinion, the bearing of the CaneCreek is better than the two others.

My two cents,
    Fab'

mtbr member

Good job! You might take the bearings to an industrial supply house...

There is a locally-based supply house here in Birmingham AL named "Motion Industries" that has branches in multiple states. I had an old roomate that used to work there and he would tell stories about some goof dropping a three-foot diameter precision bearing off the forklift and ruining it, or other fun stuff. I know they have literally thousands of bearings in stock.

In the past, when I was searching for a bearing or seal or belt or hydraulic hose these guys just about always had what I needed. Take your old bearings and headset to 'em and see what they say. Also, if they come up zero, be sure to ask "Can you suggest anyone else I could try?" Most of these guys are willing to help you out by giving a phone number to a competitor...some of 'em have even called the other guy while I waited.

Also, have you tried Cane creek? Do they sell replacement bearing sets?

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Yeh, replacing the bearings may be an option. Just wanted to ask the expervs here on the ol' mtbr before calling cane creek, fsa, etc. I checked out fsa's and woodman's websites but they are kinda lacking on compatibility info. Do you happen to know which specific fsa dn woodman models fit the old Cdale 1.5 headtube?

Thanks for the help!