mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Optimo! vs. Furio! ready......FIGHT!!

First, bogus names for materials make my stomach hurt. Okay.

I have an opportunity to get a Cannondale frame and fork for the next racing season, but I need a little help from ya'll hardcore C'dale folk.
    What are the substantive differences in the rides of an Optimo frame versus a Furio frame? I get that the Optimo has sort of wispy seat stays compared to the Furio, which I'm guessing lets it have a little more forgiving feel, but what else? Are Furio frames light enough to race? (I'm just Joe Sportclass, so this is a bit silly.)
    Also besides racing, I just ride a lot, in a lot of different places. I might "abuse" a bike a bit. No delusions of North Shore grandeur, but I like small drops and jumps and rocks. An Optimo frame isn't going be a one season wonder being ridden like that, is it?
    Thanks for the help.------GB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Grant,

Both bikes are VERY similar so here are the big differences:

Optimo: round double bend seatstays, single bend chainstays 2.3" tire max

Furio: Oval single bend seatstays, double bend chainstays 2.5" tire max

The frames are made of the same material and have the same geometry. The Optimo is definitely our no holds barred race bike and the Furio is more of an all arounder. Only about 100g of weight difference so I'd say go with the Furio.

James@Cannodale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by James
    Optimo: round double bend seatstays, single bend chainstays 2.3" tire max

James@Cannodale
    OK.. I have an '04 1FG with Optimo frameset. I definately have oval or square seat and chainstays. There is almost NO bend in the seat stays and I am running Mutanoraptor 2.4's.

Is the 1FG a "one off"?

Most rigid, best handling bike I have ever ridden. I am now looking to sell my Klein gearie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloWithOthers
    OK.. I have an '04 1FG with Optimo frameset. I definately have oval or square seat and chainstays. There is almost NO bend in the seat stays and I am running Mutanoraptor 2.4's.

Is the 1FG a "one off"?

Most rigid, best handling bike I have ever ridden. I am now looking to sell my Klein gearie.
    The Furio and the 1FG are identical except:

The 1FG has a tandem BB to house the EBB.

A higher BB height for goons like me running 180 MM cranks to keep them off the ground.

Actually, the 1FG was designed first and then the other hardtails came out after it. It also seems like we confuse people by calling our material Optimo and then also using the name to describe our high end frames!

James@Cannondale

mtbr member

A higher BB height for goons like me running 180 MM cranks to keep them off the ground.
    James@Cannondale
    OK... now that makes sense.

I will be putting 180mm Stylo on my 1FG this evening and graduating to the 17 tooth extra cog that came with the bike.

So far I just love the thing! I feel very secure and much more aggressive and it seems to be holding up great. I am 6'5" 230 btw.

Thanks James!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the tip

James,

Thanks for the tip. It'll be nice to know that to go to the well I need go no further than the discussion list. Also, I'm really stoked about my new frame.Thanks a lot. ---GB

Lazy People Suck

Actually, the 1FG was designed first and then the other hardtails came out after it. It also seems like we confuse people by calling our material Optimo and then also using the name to describe our high end frames!

James@Cannondale
    James, would it have been that hard to put the adjustment for the EBB on the 1FG on the nondrive side so that you do not have to fight the crank and chainring to adjust it? Was a case of simply adapting the existing tandem EBB and reducing costs by not changing the EBB?
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Exactly. We used the existing Tandem design. We have new prototype parts that will be universal for drive or non-drive that will be available in the spring. Once I get some prototypes I am happy with I will post some pics and information.

James

mtbr member

That would be nice...

... as the Stylo 180mm does not have as clear access to the fixing bolt as the Firex 175mm that came stock on the '04. It's possible to get to with a ball end T-handle 4mm hex but I wonder about boogering up the bolt over time and not being able to get a square rap on the bolt to break the wedge free.

Keep us posted.

mtbr member

1fg Ebb

I just had a situation where the head of the fixing bolt on the EBB stripped while I was tightening it with a ball end T-handle 4mm hex. The bolt is an odd size and can't be found at the local hardware store. My LBS pulled one off a Cannondale tandem to get me back in the dirt. The best strategy is to pull the cranks and work with the bolt or else get a spare bolt for when it strips.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bike - but the placement of that bolt is awful.

Does anyone know what that bolt should be torqued to? I really don't want to break the bolt, but I have had problems with the EBB slipping.
    Last edited by dtownmtb; 01-21-2004 at 05:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/tech/pdfs/115894.pdf

Here is the link for EBB setup. I agree and we are working on a new EBB that will be accessable from the non-drive side. Actually, I will get samples of first production in tomorrow to approve. I will send more info after I test these new parts.

James

mtbr member

What about reversing the EBB innards?

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/tech/pdfs/115894.pdf

Here is the link for EBB setup. I agree and we are working on a new EBB that will be accessable from the non-drive side. Actually, I will get samples of first production in tomorrow to approve. I will send more info after I test these new parts.

James
    James,

I am interested in your thoughts on reversing the EBB as described here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=9106#poststop

Thanks.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mike,

My only thought would be a BB cup unthreading as now pedaling would work to loosen, instead of tighten, the cranks.

James

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mike,

My only thought would be a BB cup unthreading as now pedaling would work to loosen, instead of tighten, the cranks.

James
    That was my bright idea until the left hand thread issue was pointed out to me. Pity...it worked real nice.

I too would like to see a "universal" ebb that could be turned so that the wedge bolt head is on the non-drive side.

Another cool ebb feature I'd like to see is a way to loosen the wedge without using a hammer. Maybe there's a secret technique someone could share.

Shok will Flip

mtbr member
    Very good - exactly what I was looking for. That document must be a relatively new addition to the website as I have looked before for this info.

The new EBB that you are working on sounds like something worth having. What will be the cost to 1FG owners on that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Never mind the hammer.

On the 1FG EBB there should be a circlip and washer before the head of the bolt. This makes the bolt a self extractor to push the wedge out the non drive side of the bike.

James

PS Thanks for all the feedback on the EBB design. You are making that project happen faster and keep riding (unless it is snowy and 10F, like around here...)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe I can have a contest to get a few free out to some of you posting out there on the interweb!

James

mtbr member

EBB test bed.

Maybe I can have a contest to get a few free out to some of you posting out there on the interweb!

James
    Or if you need 6'5" 230lb. fit test bed with an '04 1FG and 180mm cranks I am your man!

I am definately interested free or not.

Thanks for thinking of us James!

Mike

mtbr member
    On the 1FG EBB there should be a circlip and washer before the head of the bolt. This makes the bolt a self extractor to push the wedge out the non drive side of the bike.

James

PS Thanks for all the feedback on the EBB design. You are making that project happen faster and keep riding (unless it is snowy and 10F, like around here...)
    In the interest of giving design feedback (not griping), the circlip deal isn't all that useful. Mine fell out, never to be found. I bang on the crank with a rubber hammer to loosen things up. Maybe not ideal, but even when I had the circlip in it was no help in that department.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

James

Hi James,
    My circlip and washer couldn't withstand backing out the bolt. The LBS and I tried several times, but the washers would deform and pop out before the wedge got pushed out. We thought that was the purpose of the circlip and washer, but it never worked like that on my EBB.
    PS. Thanks for all your info and knowledge you're sharing with us.
    Flippie

Today's ride was coldish (around 36 or so) and the trails were maybe a little too wet, but we got a good ride in.