W.J
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Opinions on the Prophet series

Im looking to buy a new bike, and I have come across an 05 Cannondale Prophet 600. The seller is willing to let me have this for 700, I'm wondering about opinions on this bike on the forums. Do people generally like this bike, are the 05 models good, or should I save up and be looking at a newer 07/08 model? I read that it is an all mountain bike, and I did like the sound of that, but I'd like to hear some more opinions from perhaps personal experience or otherwise, thanks.

Ridin' dirty!
    I've seen some mint Prophet with better specs go for like only $200.- more on eBay.
    Don't get me wrong, the Prophet is by far my favorite cannondale ever, but the 600 has some pretty low end parts on it and if you plan to upgrade you'll spend waaaaayyyy more than $200.-!!!
    I purchased a Prophet 1000 in bronze color (05) for only $900.- and some change on ebay and shipped it to one of my buddies in Germany.
    The 600 has basic mavic 117 wheels, cranks, bb with no outboard bearings and the basic Lefty FFD, which mostly everyone in this forum upgraded to either TPC or even SPV.
    Here's a thread so you can see how many Prophet lovers are out there
    Post your Prophet!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

W.J
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So it would probably be better to get a higher model? http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/336543/ is the bike I saw anyhow, I guess I should just stay on the lookout

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by W.J
    So it would probably be better to get a higher model? [
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    On the weight/performance ratio the Prophet is up there with some very nice bikes, and on the performance/dollar ratio, the used examples of the Prophet are very competitive.

I would suggest a Prophet to someone experienced and on a budget, or to someone moving up from a lower end bike who wants to ride a good example of full suspension at a lower price bracket.

I recently had to make the decision to either sell or trade my undersized Prophet frame, and I decided I wasn't going to get anything nearly as equipped as my Prophet for what I could sell it for.

I'm glad I held out, because I recently got the opportunity to trade my medium for a large frame of the same size and year.

W.J
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So you guys don'tthink I should buy that one on pinkbike that I saw?

mtbr member
    I think a Prophet would be a great choice. I have an '05 600, but I upgraded a lot of parts on it. I don't know what prices these go for, you have to take into account that Cannondale no longer makes this model, so idk how that may affect how much you are willing to spend. It's been rated one of the better bikes Cannondale has ever made for sure, I really don't see how you can go wrong with the Prophet.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

mtbr member
    Based on the pics of the bike, I'd assume it's probably a bit beaten from FR use (take a look at his gallery and you'll see him doing pretty hard stuff on the bike), so I'd try to look at another options before you close the deal. It's not the only Prophet for sale, you may find a lot of Prophets in almost mint condition around, I've got one 2006 Prophet 4000 that was like new and also had a nice deal on that. Keep looking, and you'll find yourself a good bike and in better conditions.

Now concerning the Prophet, yes, it is an All Mountain bike, although some numbers may fool you (like headset angle at 69 degrees and its low weight at higher specs) that it falls into the Trail bike field, but make no mistakes, it is a mountain dragster. It has awesome climbing abilities and excelent handling at fast descents. It can take as much abuse as you can throw at it and the Lefty really makes the most of the bike. It feels like you have a tractor under you, and you no longer cares what's going on, you just go. Yes, the bike is that good.

Good luck finding a good deal. And when you get it, come by and show us your new ride. We can never get enough of Prophets.

W.J
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Very good to know, thanks for the responses guys. Do you guys have any other recommendations for bike similar to the prophet? Or should I just hold out and try to find a good deal on a nice prophet? I do have to save up money anyhow so that won't be an issue.

Edit: i see this cannondale but i think it's pretty expensive, shouldn't i be able to get that one for much cheaper?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/324118/
    I mean cdalemaniac said he got an 05 for like 900, shouldnt i be able to get that one at like 1100 ?
    Last edited by W.J; 07-13-2008 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    What's your budget? What brands have you looked at so far? You want a bike to be around 5.5 to 6 inches, right? You wanna buy used because you wanna spend less or you're looking for older models?

W.J
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Budget is roughtly 700-800 range, I've looked at specialized, kona (but they are mainly downhill, I've been leaning towards All mountain). I beleive that degree of travel is good, and yeah I want to buy used just because it's much cheaper. I checked out newer models and they were all over 2000. I beleive there is huge markup in canada when it comes to bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    get the 600 and upgrade the parts that need it,XT drivetrain, DX or GRIND pedals,the IRC tires are good for AM riding and it really works great on rocky singletracks.

Just a flesh wound
    I bought a used '05 800 and have upgraded as things break or become a nuisance. The frame is the same for all of them, so get the bike, ride it and change/upgrade when things break. The stock components are OK, but the Mavic 117 rims are a bit weak, so as you get more aggressive you will find that they have to go. I got the Mavic Crosstrails. Still on the original tires.

You can upgrade the Lefty pretty easily. I went to a midcage XTR when the longcage XT died a horrible twisted death in the spokes. The midcage is much quieter and shifts much more quickly.

I have rebuilt my Lefty 1 time, and I have never had to do anything to my Radium R except add air once a year.

Chopped a half inch off my bars on each end to help with tight trail tree clearance issues.
    Mine is up to a 2000 by now ('05 comparison).

W.J
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hmm, thanks for the responses guys.
    Anyhow right now, I have relatives visiting me from norway, so I think what i'm gonna do is, ask the guy if I can check it outafter they leave.

Prophet Julio, you said you rebuilt your lefty? how much did that roughly cost you to do?

also if I am looking at used bikes, what things should I be looking at

Just a flesh wound
    Mine came with the TPC, so I did not have to upgrade the Lefty, but it is a kit that you can buy. I don't know the cost. I did rebuild my Lefty when it started to leak some oil after a bearing reset. But this was after 2+ years of riding, so no problem there.

The major upgrades that I did were XTR Rapid Rise Rear Derailleur and SKF BXC 600 bottom bracket and the Mavic Crosstrail wheelset.
    All have been flawless since installation.