I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Opinions On Optimo

I'm finally getting a size M 2005 F2000SL Optimo frame next week. I know the frame is uber-light.....but the pencil-thin seat says look like a curb hop would snap them. I am hoping to build a sub-20lb XC race bike, and I hope this frame is a good start. I know Cannondale stopped producing the Optimo series in 2006, replaced with the Caffeine. The F-series and Caffeine bikes have much more confidence-inspiring seatstays than the out-of-production Optimo.

Tell me the good, the bad, even the ugly- about this frame......thx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think the optimo frame is the best hartail frame ever build by cannondale. I had 2 of them.
    I also had a furio-frame, this one was much less comfort. The new taurine and caffeine are also less comfortable(my friends have these frames).

On the optimo the seatpost is thinner 27.2 insteat of 31.6 on the taurine en caffeine. This means a little bit more comfort and less weight to. If you have an optimo frame with the cable routing from under(2004-2005 I think), you can also use a road frontderrailleur which saves weight to. Thats why I think optimo is the best hartail frame ever made by cannondale.

The caffeine is heavier than the optimo, considering the 31.6 seatpost and extreme sloping frame(long seatpost needed even in size L).

The taurine weighs about 200 gram less than an optimo, but here is also a long and 31.6 seatpost needed. So it will be only about 150 gram lighter I think.