mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Opinion: used Rush Carbon Team or New RZ120/3?

I know the spec on the Carbon Team is way better, but I've read about the cable rub issue on the Rush. Is it something I can deal with, or will it cause the frame to eventually fail?

How is the ride of the new RZ compared to the Rush? The swingarm looks very different, but from what I understand, the basic suspension design is still pretty similar. I've read good reviews of the Rize/Rz140, but not such great reviews of the RZ120. Is that a side-effect of the geometry, or more related to how well the bike fills its designed niche?

The bike will be used for mostly general Colorado singletrack. I'd like to look into endurance racing, but not sure if I'll have the time to do it.

mtbr member
    the rush is awesome, you wouldn't regret it. not sure what the cable rub issue is - some well placed protective patches ensures no issue. for me, the rush is a relaxed XC racing machine that is one of the best bikes i have ridden on single track. i havent ridden the RZ120 but it comes across as a shortened trail bike.

No good in rock gardens..
    The alleged carbon Rush cable rub issue is where the rear derailleur cable hosing MAY rub on the downtube where the cable enters the swingarm up the front end. Proper attention to housing length, a rub proof patch and keeping an eye on the area will alleviate that. Many frames suffer from cable rub at some point. I've yet to own a bike that I didn't put patches / tape on in a few spots.

The Rush's TRUE single pivot is so simple and easy to look after - two big bearings, some spacers and one big bolt.

The only thing with the Rush that occasionally annoys me is the low bottom bracket height, which means the cranks occasionally whack things in rocky terrain. It's a reasonably common trait of XC duallies. The Rush feels fast as an XC or light duty trail bike, otherwise.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been riding a Carbon Rush 1 for several years now.. I've looked into other frames including the RZ, as well as the Trek Top Fuel, and honestly, I have yet to find anything that is substantially better... It's light, tracks well due to its low CG, is burly as hell, and honestly is the most fun mountain bike I've ever ridden, everytime I take it out on the trail it doesn't fail to impresses me... One of my best friends rides an RZ aluminum 140 and uses it as his do everything bike, he threw Industry 9's on it and the thing is a beast... My vote however goes for the Rush.. I've had no cable rub issues to speak of though I did modify the cable system when i swapped in dura ace cables for the existing ones and have never had the bike let me down... the suspension is simple, but I for one don't think thats a bad thing...

-John

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The rush is like a race bike with comfy trail bike geometry. It's great for general riding/training and perfect for long distance all-day riding - my bike of choice for 24hr solo races. As others have mentioned the other big bonus is the sheer simplicity of the design - not much to go wrong with the single pivot, any LBS can do it and easy to source standard parts makes maintenance super easy and cheap, which isn't something I can say about most full suspension bikes these days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just sold my 2009 Rush(not Carbon) in favor of a 2010 RZ120-3 and have been very happy with my decision.
    Love both bikes, but the RZ, in my opinion climbs much better and fits me. My Rush was a large and the RZ is a medium which was my main reason for the switch. My RZ is also over 2lbs. lighter than my Rush was.
    There is a great review of the RZ120-3 in Dirtrag magazine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would buy the Team Rush based on the parts spec alone (SI Carbon Lefty and Hollowgram crankset are worth more than the complete Rize 3, new that is). Not to mention it is great riding bike.

Plus as a Team model it should be something around 24 lbs+/- depending on frame size.

See more here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9IUtMCW5XI
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

mtbr member
    you probably know, there is no warranty for the second hand stuff

but if it is cheap then it makes sense

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray
    I just sold my 2009 Rush(not Carbon) in favor of a 2010 RZ120-3 and have been very happy with my decision.
    Love both bikes, but the RZ, in my opinion climbs much better and fits me. My Rush was a large and the RZ is a medium which was my main reason for the switch. My RZ is also over 2lbs. lighter than my Rush was.
    There is a great review of the RZ120-3 in Dirtrag magazine.
    Is the review online? Or in an actual magazine? I'd love to read it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Plus as a Team model it should be something around 24 lbs+/- depending on frame size.

My RZ120-3 weighs in at exactly 27lbs. with pedals, for what it's worth anyway. Carbon bars RL Seatpost and Panaracer Fire XC Pros helped the weight reduction. Not the lightest bike in the world, but light enough for me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I own a alloy Rush from last year and what convinced me was the stiffness of the rear triangle.
    In the video posted before you can see just that.
    The simplicity of the single pivot is beautiful.

I use my Rush as a pure XC bike and i'm very happy whith it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The review was in Dirtrag magazine a few issues ago, and as soon as I read the review, I was very interested in giving it a look. Fortunately my LBS had a demo so I rode it a few times before buying it. My son also rode the same demo and sold his SC Superlite and his road bike in order to get one, but his is an RZ120-2. I will look around for the Mag I have and let you know what issue# it is. I looked around the Dirtrag website and couldn't find the review.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Review of RZ120-3 is in Dirtrag MAgazine issue #151