mtbr member
    Sep 2006

To the ones that know Lefty - bottom out and...

Hi out there!

I had opened another thread. Now - my Lefty works good again, migration is gone and its super soft again without sticktion.

I was in the bikepark today. I made some videos, in this ones I can see that my front wheels really sucks to the ground

I use the red spring, my weight is 72Kg. Sag is about 25%.

I have a Lefty Max 140mm with TPC + (yeah really!) upgrade.

I did a drop today, it was about 1,5 meter. I hit a little root and then "pong" I bottomed the fork out.

I thought I must have been dreaming because it was the first time.

After this, I fork bottomed out about 6 times today.
    I really have the impression that something is wrong.

I think it bottomed out when I didn't see a reason.
    When I'm standing and compressing it it is all right, also when riding.

But then, after a bigger compression on the trail and a root at the edge of it it goes "plonk".

So what's the stuff about? It felt like my sping only had half the weight for a little time. Okay I know this cant be but thats my impression, something like blowing thru travel.

It was also strange that I can't notice a difference between both compression settings.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks!!
    reno

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Is it really a TPC+, or just TPC? TPC+ has 2 pistons, one adding position sensitive damping, which would better control your situation, TPC is just a single piston, controlling compression damping in a speed sensitive fashion. Try turning your knob fully clockwise, to full damping potential. You won't feel it just compressing the fork standing by the bike, as it's only going to turn on at higher speeds of compression.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hi Mendon!

Glad to hear from you!

Maybe ypu remember me - I'm the one with the TDI

I've taken out my TPC+ from my Jake and built it in into my Lefty Max. I needed to change the top cap on the bottom and that was it .

Clockwise would be turning to the left when I'm standing on the left side of my bike in front of the fork?

It is TPC+ for sure. Looks like the TPC from you with one other piston (that one is some kind of "floating" on a little spring ^^

So any idea about the situation and the strange feeling of blowing thru travel sometimes? Do you think this could be air trpped in the fork?

Thank you very much!
    reno

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Ah yes, I do recall some discussion about cars now that you mention it! How's life in Germany? You do indeed have a TPC+, just had to ask To turn to firmer, stand in front of the bike, grab the blue knob, and turn it out, away from the bike. I'd certainly take a look at the possibility of air in there. That damper should be better for your issue, not worse. Odd.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Ah yes, I do recall some discussion about cars now that you mention it! How's life in Germany? You do indeed have a TPC+, just had to ask To turn to firmer, stand in front of the bike, grab the blue knob, and turn it out, away from the bike. I'd certainly take a look at the possibility of air in there. That damper should be better for your issue, not worse. Odd.....
    Hey Craig!

Nothing new around here. My TDI rocks the house. Hopefully he will a long time

Ehhhm I don't get it. Turn the knob OUT? I can turn it to left and to right - thats it .

Mhhhh I tried both positions on the trails - and didn't notice any difference. Thats strange! I feel a diffenrence in one klick in rebound damping, but not at the TPC+. Fully open and closed feels the same... in my oppinion.

Tomorrow I will open her. I'll make yome pics from the TPC +. Maybe you can see something?

Hope to hear from you!

Thanks
    reno

P.s. Maybe we need to shim this thing other. Less low speed and more high speed comp would rock

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Here we go.

Pics from the TPC+-

Oh yes, I had migration. About 15mm after bottoming out about 6 times, one of them was very hard. That should be okay - is it?

Do anyone have any ideas about shimming the TPC+? It did not seem that there was air inside. However, I did a bleeding on it.

Thank you! Rock on!

reno

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey guys,

is there anything wrong with the internals or is it right?

Was doing a ride again today. I had the impression that a strong impact forced a feel like bottom out - but - I didn't use all of the travel.

I'll go tomorrow and check i it makes the full travel.

In my case, it should be nearly impossible to bottom out a fork with correct spring and TPC+. Okay, my impact was nasty, but not that much.

Any ideas for tuning up? Less lowspeed more highspeed compression damping!

Thanks!
    reno

Members who have read this thread: 0