mtbr member

Onepointfive fork in prophet

Hi

I'm going to upgrade the fork in my prophet and as cannodale says prophet frame has onepointfive head I'd like to give a it a go and use fork in this standard. Anyone tried this? I'm aware I have to change headset and stem as well, and in terms of hubs compatibility I'm going to build new front wheel anyway.

Regards

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    beware the max axle-crown height. it is written in the tech docs at cannondale website.
    probably a Pike or similar would be ok on the Prophet, but the Prophet MX frame handles a Lyrik I think.
    I have no experience with such a change myself, but I considered it for a while.
    good luck.

I just wanna go fast...
    While it's not a 1.5, I am using the 1 1/8 steer tube lyrik on my prophet with the e.thirteen 1.5 to 1 1/8 headset adaptor. Set at 140 mm, the lyrik is just about 1" over the recommended axlet to crown height, so not really a big deal. I've beat on the thing for a few months now and everything seems to be holding up well. As for your build, all you should need would be a new 1.5 headset pressed in and a 1.5 fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daktari
    beware the max axle-crown height. it is written in the tech docs at cannondale website.
    probably a Pike or similar would be ok on the Prophet, but the Prophet MX frame handles a Lyrik I think.
    I have no experience with such a change myself, but I considered it for a while.
    good luck.

According to RS website there is no 1.5" version of Pike, pity - I wish they intruduce it in '08 line...

I just wanna go fast...
    Why not just get a 1.5 lyrik with u-turn and crank it down until it meets the required axle to crown height? Axel to crown height on a lyrik is ~545mm give or take 5mm depending on the fork, max height for prophet is 530. Dial the lyrik down 15mm and you should be good to go. Since the lyrik is 160mm of travel, that would put you at about 145mm, almost perfectly balanced for the prophet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen
    Why not just get a 1.5 lyrik with u-turn and crank it down until it meets the required axle to crown height? Axel to crown height on a lyrik is ~545mm give or take 5mm depending on the fork, max height for prophet is 530. Dial the lyrik down 15mm and you should be good to go. Since the lyrik is 160mm of travel, that would put you at about 145mm, almost perfectly balanced for the prophet.
    This is how it probably ends, however Pike is significantly lighter... maybe I'm wrong, but Lyriks in prophet (not MX) seems to be overkill :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

FSA Orbit Extreme Pro

Get the FSA Orbit Extreme Pro. With this headset you can run 1.5 or 1 1/8 by simply changing the crown race and top cap. You do have to order the extra parts separately as the headset doesn't come with both options.

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    Get the FSA Orbit Extreme Pro. With this headset you can run 1.5 or 1 1/8 by simply changing the crown race and top cap. You do have to order the extra parts separately as the headset doesn't come with both options.
    Sounds like a sweet option.

Thanks for pointing it out.

The reviews look good too...
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Headset/product_72166.shtml

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    Sounds like a sweet option.

Thanks for pointing it out.

The reviews look good too...
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Headset/product_72166.shtml
    Yeah, I've got the same headset on my Gemini and Prophet. The Gemini is running a 1.5 Sherman and the Prophet is running a 1 1/8 Z1. I'm actually considering reducing the travel on the Sherman and putting it on the Prophet. Because of the headset this swap is a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    sounds good for me, thanks! :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hello

I am using the Lyrik 1.5 and the FSA Fat pig 1.5 Headset for a half year now on the MX2 which is designed for longer forks.Riding on 1.5 headsets is a good thing fo me.
    Because of a too fluidly grease my LBS used for this assembly the lower bearing is corroded and i need to change this bearing in the near future.Maybe i had to inspect the headset more often.
    Now i am planing to change the headset to a fsa orbit extreme pro.How good is this one and how much maintenance needs this headset compared with the big pig which is no industrial typ?

Many thanks for your reply!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MX_Lyrik
    Hello

Now i am planing to change the headset to a fsa orbit extreme pro.How good is this one and how much maintenance needs this headset compared with the big pig which is no industrial typ?

Many thanks for your reply!
    The FSA Xtreme Pro uses a cartridge sealed bearing for top and bottom.

How in my opinion these is no such thing as a "sealed" bearing as they all eventually will corrode if you ride in harsh enough conditions which I do. I would still pop the seal off and regrease.

Our problem locally is rain and mud.

I just came back from Whister where I'm still having to clean that yellow grity dust from every crack and nooky on my Judge. My brake levers were making this clicking sound last week. I pulled the levers off and found the yellow dust in the pivots. Cleaned and regrease and the levers are smooth and no noise.

mtbr member
    I thought the only difference between an MX frame and regular Prophet was the thru axle?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

headset

Hi racerzero

Thanks for the info, so i need to regrease and inspect also most of FSA competitors headsets.

Hi Kevin G

There are 4 differents: thru 12, bigger axle to crown height, iscg acceptance and not so steep headangle, The last thing i don`t know exactly but the paint job on my bikes pivot says the two values of the headangle are 1.5 degrees lower.I think i read 67.5 and 66 not 69 and 67.5 as the prophet manual says.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Other differencies include a gusset under headtube/downtube junction and NO water bottle mounting in 4X/MX frames. The dimensions in the frame are the same, but different forks (and headsets) in the MX models make the angles different.

Racerzero, a BIG thanks for your information on Orbit Xtreme Pro headset. I have exactly that headset as 1.5" version and I have just bought a Lyrik Solo Air.
    Last edited by caizu; 09-05-2007 at 07:13 AM.
    Ride hard, meet the Father!

mtbr member
    so what is the real danger of running a longer axle to crown height on a prophet. If i put a 545mm fork on what risks would i be taking. It would be ridden hard.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

I just wanna go fast...
    It would be possible to snap the headtube off the frame if you're running too long of a fork. The headtube may not be reinforced enough to withstand the extra leverage a longer fork would put on it. I've seen this happen on older DH bikes, and it's one of the last things you want to happen to you when riding.

That said, I've got a lyrik with u turn on my prophet and I ride really hard. I've got my fork dialed down to 140mm, which is about 15mm shorter than a lyrik at its full ride height. The bike handles a lot better at that fork length too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen
    It would be possible to snap the headtube off the frame if you're running too long of a fork. The headtube may not be reinforced enough to withstand the extra leverage a longer fork would put on it. I've seen this happen on older DH bikes, and it's one of the last things you want to happen to you when riding.
    Agree, good thing is it's not so easy to rip off headtube, managed to do it only once, in HT frame, and true - I don't want to repeat this experience - and It's hard to forget the sound of ripped alloy... :-)

mtbr member
    as i feared. Thanks for the input.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My experience with the lyrik u-turn at wind-down is that the fork behaves a bit differently than at full travel, kind of over-fast and under-damped. (Tried thorougly on my brothers Ransom). This is in my opinion too high a price for getting the 1,5 steerer.

What is your experience, bdamschen, does the extra stiffnes outweigh the changed characteristics?

I just wanna go fast...
    I'm someone who likes an increadbly fast rebound on my forks, which may not be as fast for me since I'm a pretty heavy guy. I love the extra stiffness of the fork and to me it feels perfect for the way I ride. I don't huck with the bike, but for some light dh and jumps with trannys it feels great.