My spelling is atroshus

One year of minor maintenance on my Rize 4....

I've owned my Rize for a full year now and am happy to report to you what to expect from this bike as far as wear and tear from harder riding.

• Early on the rear wheel failed. I replaced both wheels with stans ztr arch. I loved the tubeless!
    • Secondly, the interupted rear deraileur cable got full of dirt and stopped shifting properly. I replaced both front and rear deraileur cables. It now shifts like butter.
    • Brake pads: I finally wore the rear one out and replaced it.
    • Upper pivot bearings on the chainstays have finally worn out and badly galled the inner race of the chainstays. I ordered bearings yesterday. I almost can't wait to find out if I have to purchase new upper chainstays.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good job.

I also decided to check out my bearings after reading threads about loose seatstays.

My drive side upper seatstay bearing is toast and my carbon seatstay is cracked. Does anyone know how much is it for a new seatstay? Should I order aluminum instead of carbon? I do not want my Rize to sit and collect dust.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You are supposed to check the bearings and relube the pivots after 30 hrs I believe the manual says.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    You are supposed to check the bearings and relube the pivots after 30 hrs I believe the manual says.
    I now know this.

I was lazy and did not accomplish this step. The bearings failing are not cannondale's fault. I foolishly led myself to believe they never needed maintenance.

Tool
    And for those needed to replace bearings quickly and finding yourself without the elusive Loctite 638, when I replaced my upper seatstay bearings, I just used the common blue Loctite 242. 800+ miles later the bearings are still held in tighly and working flawlessly.

The RZ has been somewhat infamous for leaving the factory with insuffcient Loctite on many of the bolts, which is what destroyed my original upper seatstay bearings (along with my failure to check their torque often enough). If you are an RZ owner, I recommend pulling all the suspension related bolts to assure they have sufficient Loctite applied - I haven't had any back out since doing this.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advise. I just bought a rize I be sure to check it all.

mtbr member
    Great info