Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

One size to Small, Lighter Seatpost, and better braking for the Prophet

Two year ago I picked up a 05 Prophet 800 for $700, it had only been ridden for 6 months prior to my purchase. Downside? I am almost, barely, sorta close, but not quite, 6" tall. When I first started riding the bike, I didn't mind the slight undersizing, because I had come from a dirtjumper/street/dh background (althought I had ridden XC when I was younger).

However, As I spending more time enjoying the challenge of a good climb, my seatpost is going alot higher to get the most out of my pedal stroke. This means lots of seatpost, which the stock post can't be the lightest, so what are your thoughts on buying a lighter post, yet strong enough to ride almost at minimum insertion?

Also, since coming from the aggressive background, I fear no downhill, however, the Prophet's stock Avid's, and even the Hayes that upgraded to don't put down enough braking force. My hands hurt like hell after a long downhill! I mean kill! I wish there was someway of upgrading to better brakes to minimize the amount of force needed to slow myself for the corner. Any help here?

mtbr member
    1. Get a Thomson seat post.
    2. Get Avid Code brakes.
    3. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    1. Get a Thomson seat post.
    2. Get Avid Code brakes.
    3. Enjoy.
    Cheaper solution.

Cannondale Aluminun Competition Seatpost. Got mine off of Ebay for $15.00. I already had one that came with my Gemini 2000. I liked it so much I got the Ebay one for my Prophet. Very light and strong.

If you bike is stock it would have been spec'ed. with LX brakes. The LX was spec'ed with resin pads. The resin pads are good for XC & AM but fade for DH. Shimano have semi-metallic pads that are fade resistance. You do lose the resin pads modulation feel. Either switch to the semi-metallic or use a resin pad on the one side or semi-metallic on the other.

Another option is to use after market pads. I like the EBC red pads. These are DH specific that bike really good. They do wear quickly.

I like to use EBC reds in the front and the cheapest pads in the rear.

You can also go to a larger rotor in the front.

Ridin' dirty!
    I' also get a Thomson SP
    I think the longest thomson seatpost i've seen was like 440 or 450mm long.
    They're not the lightest but they are strong! Really important factor if you plan to run it with minimum insertion depth. Puts a lot of stress on the post.
    Try to get some 8" Shimano rotors. For some Reason they work better with Avid brakes than the stock ones
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Well I've got Hayes HFX6? I dunno what type they are, just single pot 6' rotor.

Rear is stock Avid.

It's not that I need better braking (well I do) its just that I don't like pulling so hard to get the same amount of braking.

When I went downhilling at Diablo, I used one of their bikes, and those brakes felt awesome. Tons of power, with very little force neccesary to lock'em up. I rode all day and my hands hardly hurt at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    Well I've got Hayes HFX6? I dunno what type they are, just single pot 6' rotor.

Rear is stock Avid.

It's not that I need better braking (well I do) its just that I don't like pulling so hard to get the same amount of braking.

Never heard of HFX6 maybe you meant HFX9.

If so then you probably have to bleed them first. Any hydro brake that uses DOT stuff has to be bled as part of regular maintenance because it absorbs water. Water absorption will lessen the braking power.

Get EBC Red pads. These are DH pads which provide extra stopping. They do wear fast so I would only use them in the front.

8 inch rotors will help.