Thread: Old lefty's

mtbr member

Old lefty's

I'm looking to buy a Lefty for my bike. There are some really appealing deals on ebay, but those are older Lefty's. How do they compare to the current solo air Lefty's? Specially, the SPV and RLC versions. How do they compare on dampening, suppleness. The weight part I get.

mtbr member
    I'm not overly too keyed up on the various different types of Lefty, I run a Lefty Max which is coil and oil. Although I can't lock it out, I can adjust the rebound which is enough for me. The bike's so well balanced that I don't loose too much energy if I put my weight in the right place.

From what I've heard (please don't kill me for this I'm still learning) the air Lefty's aren't as reliable as the coil ones. Not sure how much truth there is in that statement though.

All I can do is recommend a Left Max, there's been a few on there recently that went for peanuts...

What bike are you putting it on?
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    SPV's are the most "dead" riding of the mid 2000's series Max 140's. The TPC is the sought after one,and the FFD just plain works.

RLC's are Fox built guts, and parts are getting harder to find, not a huge deal if you have a working fork, and treat it well.

All Lefty's have fully serviceable telescopes to date, races and bearings aren't a problem to source, it's the guts that can be problematic to find if missing or damaged.

Any 2005 and newer fork can be upgraded with various iterations of the 2011 damper cartridges, which makes them a good investment even the damping parts are shot, if you don't mind spending around $300 to have the whole thing serviced and upgraded.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Thanks, the 'dead' feel, is that similar to a Manitou Sherman fork? I had one on a FR bike and I didn't like it, no small bump compliance. So I'll pass that one up.

The fork will be put on a Ventana El Rey and has to be converted (or come ready from factory) to 29er wheels. The a2c should be around 50cm, which would mean Lefty Max 130. But the 29er fork with 90mm travel should also do. I saw that the lefty conversion tube has some space (about 10mm) to put a spacer under the fork race. I would go with a spacer of about 5mm to get to the ballpark a2c.

Sofar, I have not been able to secure a carbon fork for the price I want to spend, so maybe I should focus on the alu versions instead. The only difference is weight, right?

Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    Thanks, the 'dead' feel, is that similar to a Manitou Sherman fork? I had one on a FR bike and I didn't like it, no small bump compliance. So I'll pass that one up.

Sofar, I have not been able to secure a carbon fork for the price I want to spend, so maybe I should focus on the alu versions instead. The only difference is weight, right?
    Correct, no small bump, kills it completely.

Only difference is weight with the alloy, yes, assuming the damper guts are the same that is. Quality, travel, durability etc is all the same.

I think your avatar cat is channeling my avatar dog!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Lol, that cat's gonna go for your dog later on in the thread :O
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    I dunno, my cat is afraid of everything. So I don't think the dog can get near enough for us to find out, haha.

Hudson LOVES kitties, especially when they play hard to get....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I found a great deal on a 2011 Lefty PBR 29er, so I got that one.