mtbr member
    May 2009

Oil level in a Lefty Terralogic

Does anyone know how much oil is required in the Lefty 2006 Terralogic fork?

Thanks

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Can't recall the volume, but it's simply a slightly messy job, like any Cannondale cartridge or open system fork.

Fill it to just prior to overflow (don't forget to have your upper Terra shaft filled prior to putting it back in the fork). Then as you screw the lower cap back on, it will well up and out through the center hole, even though the blow off threshold shaft is there, mop as you go. Don't let that shaft drop back inside though, you'll regret it, and have to do the oily fishing dance

If you try to be super neat about any Cannondale fork, it'll end up with some air inside, making for all sorts of funny noise and issues. Just like making a cake, gotta make a little floury mess if you want something tasty.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It was quite messy but guess I managed to fill it.

I had to open it to try and diagnose the reason for the absence of rebound. And there was only about 70ml of oil in it, and the spring around the upper rebound shaft was broken into 4 pieces, so no wonder I had issues with it.
    The rebound is better, but still not as much as I could wish, so guess the internals may have taken damage from fragments of the spring. So i'm hoping that my lbs is able to fetch a new set of internals.

Thanks for your guidance

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by henrikst
    The rebound is better, but still not as much as I could wish, so guess the internals may have taken damage from fragments of the spring. So i'm hoping that my lbs is able to fetch a new set of internals.
    I doubt the fragments caused a problem.

It seems these systems kind of "ramp back up" to function. It may get better after a few minutes ride time.

Also, if you're running higher pressures, or just like more rebound range, try thicker oil.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com