mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Oh, it's begining to look a lot like chirstmas....

Ok, a very, very belated christmas gift to myself.

I picked my Scalple up on Friday and built it myself that night (I don't like other people touching my bikes- I don't play well with others). Everything went together fairly easily. Spacing out the disk brakes was kind of a pain, and the rapid-rise shifters were a new experiance, but it only took an hour or so.

The paint job looks a lot better in person with the red acents on the downtube.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Looks nice!

Quote Originally Posted by xcgeek
    Ok, a very, very belated christmas gift to myself.

I picked my Scalple up on Friday and built it myself that night (I don't like other people touching my bikes- I don't play well with others). Everything went together fairly easily. Spacing out the disk brakes was kind of a pain, and the rapid-rise shifters were a new experiance, but it only took an hour or so.

The paint job looks a lot better in person with the red acents on the downtube.
    I really like that paint/color sceme. Do live live somewhere you can take it out for a ride on the trail or are you waiting for better conditions? I have pretty much decided on the purchase of a Jekyll 800 with the disc option.

Gripshift

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If all goes well, I'll be riding it in about an hour. We got a ton of rain on Thursday but we've also had a lot of wind and sun since- plus, it's begging me to get it dirty...

The Jekylls are awesome- definitly a fun bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That is one fine looking machine. I have my eye on one but am also thinking of the 3000. The hallowgram cranks and ELO aren't compelling me for another $500 based on the 3000 parts spec. I am curious if you were torn between the two? Also, what were you riding before and if you were on another xc fs how this compares?

I am waiting for the trails to clear up to demo one.

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice bike but I cannot seem to find anywhere that sells the frame alone. Please help.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I picked my Scalple up on Friday and built it myself that night (I don't like other people touching my bikes.
    How did you get the dealer to sell you an unassembled bike?

What did you pay for it?

Have you put it on the scale yet?

Born to Ride
    how much does it weigh
    MAXXIS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    AHHHH, the questions....

Let's see- according to my crappy bathroom scale it weighs 23.5 lbs with the pedals, bottle cages, and my normal tires (IRC Serac XC).

errrrrr.... uhhhhh.... I paid $ for it (my team manager would kill me.... but it retails for $5000)

I just told the LBS to NOT assemble the bike when it came in- they were more than happy to oblige.

I too was torn between the 3000 and Team Issue and I'm happy I went with the TI. The SI cranks are more than worth it. Keep in mind, that C-dale is NOT shipping any bikes with the ELO kit. They all have the mech. lockout. Still, you can reach the lockout lever w/o moving your hand and it's less to go wrong.

I rode it for about 2 hours today and it took a little getting used to. It's is built for going fast- if you're not hammering, it doesn't feel right. It feels a lot like a softail with a little more travel. To be honest, you don't feel the suspension until you realize that everything is a lot smoother. As far as other bikes that I can compare it to, I've had the opportunityto race a Sugar 1, FSR S-works, and Fuel. This bike climbs as well as the Sugar and Fuel and decends really well- not super plush travel like the FSR but just enough to take the edge off. I'll post more after a few rides and the NORBA NCS race in Waco next weekend!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the response and good luck with your season. Since you have alot of real world experience with using other xc fs rigs in competition, there would be alot of value in your future comments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude
    Nice bike but I cannot seem to find anywhere that sells the frame alone. Please help.

Thanks

Good luck!
    I was interested in this route as well- but changed my mind. The framesets in the US don't come with the SI cranks and BB (I called their 1800 # to check). Plus, then you have to find a front wheel, pay extra for the SI cranks, ect. If you really want to go the frame only route, I think they sell the 3000 as a frameset as well and you can use any cranks you please with it (same fork and rear shock as the TI).

Vaya Con Dias,
    The Geek

LA CHÈVRE
    I just told the LBS to NOT assemble the bike when it came in- they were more than happy to oblige.
    Years ago, I asked my LBS if I could buy a bike (a Cannondale too) unassembled and they told me they could do it, even with a small price reduction, but that the warranty would be void... I chose to let them build the bike.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

quick question

does anyone know if they are going to offer the si crankset in the us? i have it on my CAAD 6 roadbike and love it.
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    ...Let's see- according to my crappy bathroom scale it weighs 23.5 lbs with the pedals, bottle cages, and my normal tires (IRC Serac XC)...
    Just as an interesting note, my Scalpel 900 weighs a hair over 27#...

That's a beautiful bike... I really like the color scheme...

What's the deal with the missing ELO?

Are you talking to me?

It is on the Team frameset only.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    does anyone know if they are going to offer the si crankset in the us? i have it on my CAAD 6 roadbike and love it.
    the SI crank/bb setup is on the Team frame only.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy
    What's the deal with the missing ELO?
    From what I understand, C-dale had some reliablility issues with the ELO system. Some worked great but others were crap- it probably cost them to much in warranty issues so they scraped it. The lockout leer is so close that I can hit it with out moving my hand (front and rear) so I don't notice.

mtbr member
    I wasnt aware that there was a problem with the ELO.

mtbr member

elo issues

c-dale had a problem with the wire going to the elo, not the elo itself. people would get the wire caught and rip it out, thus rendering the elo useless. when i sent my jekyll back for warrenty (i ride the manual) i rode the shop owners jekyll (his was the elo) and although it was a neat function, i still prefer the manual lock-out. i think they did away with it because the fad is over, the elo wire problem was pissing off the shops, and the manual is more reliable (not to mention frees up space on your handlebar)

just my $.02
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]