Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc

448K views 1K replies 397 participants last post by  MendonCycleSmith 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#6 ·
Lefty swap in Perth Australia

I have a F900 with the original lefty (2000). Love it and will not get rid of it. My Lefty is getting very tired and to service it in Perth, it has to be removed from the bike and shipped to Sydney (min $300 for a service). I have done it twice already.
I would like to replace the old lefty with Lefty Max Fork TPC or Lefty Jake Fork TPC.

I can't get any help from the local shops with informationon whether the forks can be swapped straight across or which new fork is compatible with my old machine.

Purchasing a new Cannondale in Perth is crazy. I can get on a flight to LA return, buy the same bike for less thn the bikes here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheer

#7 ·
Hi Chaps, I have a Rush 2 Carbon 2007 with a 110 DLR shock. The shock has always been really bad on small bumps, bridalways a couple of days after a wet patch is like handling a jackhammer. Whilst my hardtail's R-Seven's just soak things up. Is there a way to set the spring softer on the 110 or do I have to have another spring installed? No idea what spring I have. Had the top cap off to see if resetting the the shock would help and that did not expose the spring unfortunately... Any help appreciated!

#10 ·
Hi,
sorry, but I am looking for the pure technical diagrams and "pseudo" CAD drawings of the Leftys (in particular the 110mm XC models for 26er and the ones for 29er).
In particular I am very much interested in height from axle below head set, above, diameter of the forks, etc. for a custom drawing/ custom build.
Anyone aware where PDFs like that would be available?
Thanks!!!

#12 ·
blair said:
I'm wondering if bearing migration is still an issue with the latest lefties? i'm thinking of building a hardtail(flash) with the new lefty. had a prophet with lefty max and sold it.
thanks
It'll never not be an "issue", it's part and parcel with the design. The Max, and all the DLR2's feature super easy rider doable resets. Earlier forks weren't so simple.

#15 ·
jkeo770 said:
How do you set the sag on a lefty? I know with a conventional fork, I use a zip tie and can measure it that way, but with a lefty you can't do it. Any info would be helpful.
I put the bike straight against a wall, mark the wall with a pencil, at the top of the grip, unloaded, then with me on the bike...

#18 ·
Looking to change my brakes on my 08 Caffeine 29er 2. Want to go with the Avid BB7 mechanical disk brakes. Will I have any issues with the install? Is it a direct replacement or do I need to buy a special mounting bracket? Any info would be great. Thanks.

#20 ·
I rebuilt my dampening cartridge for my Lefty 29'er Carbon w/DLR yesterday. The lockout stopped working and the dampening felt wrong. Turns out a plastic oil cap came loose).

The instructions are the same as the 2006 DLR rebuild (http://www.scribd.com/doc/14893815/Instructions-Lefty-DLR2-EXCELLENT), except I was able to do without removing the fork by removing the wheel, loosened the stem bolts to move the bar out of the way, and took off the brake so I would not contaminate the pads.

The plastic cap in step 20 had come loose. I refilled with 5wt oil (I bought some from a motorcycle shop) and tighten the washer.

#24 ·
sanjuro said:
I rebuilt my dampening cartridge for my Lefty 29'er Carbon w/DLR yesterday. The lockout stopped working and the dampening felt wrong. Turns out a plastic oil cap came loose).

The instructions are the same as the 2006 DLR rebuild (http://www.scribd.com/doc/14893815/Instructions-Lefty-DLR2-EXCELLENT), except I was able to do without removing the fork by removing the wheel, loosened the stem bolts to move the bar out of the way, and took off the brake so I would not contaminate the pads.

The plastic cap in step 20 had come loose. I refilled with 5wt oil (I bought some from a motorcycle shop) and tighten the washer.
I found this exact same issue and I'm trying to remedy it. How much oil is required in the damper? Is it 5wt shock oil? I sent you a P.M. in regards to this with further questions as I can't get your link to work.

#25 ·
DekerfTeamST said:
I found this exact same issue and I'm trying to remedy it. How much oil is required in the damper? Is it 5wt shock oil? I sent you a P.M. in regards to this with further questions as I can't get your link to work.
I sent you a PM.

BTW, I bought some 5wt Repsol fork oil at a motorcycle store closeout. I had no idea I would actually use it someday!

#26 ·
sanjuro said:
I sent you a PM.

BTW, I bought some 5wt Repsol fork oil at a motorcycle store closeout. I had no idea I would actually use it someday!
Got your PM and your e-mail. Thanks for the assistance. Worked on it tonight. Used 2.5 wt oil though as I heard that was an option as well. I hope it's ok as that's all we had. That or 7 wt. Lock out seems to be working again. Haven't been able to test ride though. We greased the o-rings of the damper with a very light Answer products grease. I know we didn't do things exactly by the book but it got me up and running for now.