Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc

448K views 1K replies 397 participants last post by  MendonCycleSmith 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#30 ·
LEFTY MAX PBR Oil Leak.

Hi,

I've have my 2010 RZ140 since May and it's just gone back to the shop for a second time to have the LEFTY MAX looked at. I get oil leaking from the bottom of the boot and the lock-out stops working. The first time it got sent to the UK distributor who took it apart and rebuilt it with a comment on the trouble-ticket that the lock-out "still bled a little" - To me that sounded as they hadn't fixed anything and sure enough after one ride it has leaked again. I'm not doing anything extreme on it (Surrey Hills (UK) single track) and I still use my trusty F-1000sl with the ELO Lefty (had from new) which performs faultlessly (10+ years old!) so a bit disappointed by the new fork. The bike as a whole is awesome, just want the fork up to spec!

Just wondering if this is a known issue with the MAX or have I just got a "bad" one?

Cheers.

Stu.

#31 ·
photostu said:
comment on the trouble-ticket that the lock-out "still bled a little"
The 140 cartridges feature a "platformesque" blow through during lockout. All the other forks over the years, haven't. Personally, I think it's a great idea, as extended riding on a locked out fork, causes the lock out shims to crack over time. with some blow through, no longer a problem.

My guess would be that the tech who noted that, didn't realize this. Otherwise, I have no idea what they meant by the comment.

If it's still leaking out of the cartridge, and thus, down and out of the lower end of the fork, it means one of two things. One, the cartridge is damaged in some way, and is leaking. Two, the tech that did it, didn't do it correctly, and left something out, like a seal, or didn't tighten things enough to keep them in place.

#32 ·
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, the blow-through is a great feature. My old ELO Lefty is rock solid and at times I've often thought that a blow-through would be a good idea as most of my cycling buddys have "ordinary" forks with this.

I just hope they get to the bottom of it this time. As I said before the RX140 is a pretty sweet ride I just wish the fork would keep the oil inside...

Thanks again.

Stu.

#35 ·
Any idea of the Lefty fork offset for Flash 29?

Looking at the 2011 Flash 29er 1. The C'dale geo is does not come up. I have been able to find just about all the specs, but the Lefty travel on that particular model (I found 90mm for the Flash 29 Carbon, so am guessing it is the same). Also no fork offset to speak of.

Does anyone know both the fork travel and offset on that model?

Thx.

#37 ·
fredde_nu said:
Hi!

I need to change the boot on a Lefty Speed 110, does anyone have a DIY guide? Or some instructions of how I split the fork? Thanks!

/Fredde
Don't pull it apart....

Wrap the axle well with duct tape, covering the sharp disc tabs well. Might even put some foam over them prior to the tape. Wrap it down tight.

Grease the crap out of the tape, and carefully slide the boot over. It stretches nicely, so with slow steady work, it should go without issue. :thumbsup:

#38 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
Don't pull it apart....

Wrap the axle well with duct tape, covering the sharp disc tabs well. Might even put some foam over them prior to the tape. Wrap it down tight.

Grease the crap out of the tape, and carefully slide the boot over. It stretches nicely, so with slow steady work, it should go without issue. :thumbsup:
Ohh thanks! I tried that in my first attempt but broke the new boot. Didnt duct the tabs so I will duct my best and give it a new try! Thanks! :)

/Fredde

#40 ·
lefty rebound/sag issues????

Wondering if anyone could be of assistance.

I have a 2005 Prophet with Lefty Max 140mm shock. I had the Brown spring installed(replaced the red for my weight--210/215 with gear most of the time).

Lately I have been riding trails with lots of roots and rocks...when I hit them I hear a loud metallic ping..... It sounds like the shock is rebounding really fast and making the sound. I have played with the rebound knob on top, but to no avail.

Any thoughts on what could the the issue and/or how to fix it?
Would shock need to be serviced or is it probably a quick fix.

....I don't really know how to set the sag on this spring shock....like you can do with air shocks......

#42 ·
Hello,

I need help with my 2007 Lefty MAX 140. It's off of a Prophet 5. I recently bought the bike used and there's a part on the top of the Lefty that's missing. I need help finding out what's missing, if it can be repaired and a possible estimate. Please check the photos I've posted. The bike and fork seems to ride fine. I just hate it not being 100%.

I tried searching online for Lefty parts but can't seem to find anything. PLEASE HELP! Thank you.

#44 ·
jdinsj said:
is missing. You can find some tech info here:

https://www.cannondale.com/usa/usae...007_lefty_max_owners_manual_supplement_en.pdf

A local Cannondale shop should be able to offer some advice.
Thank you for your response and that PDF! I tried looking for that PDF and couldn't find it, so thanks!

Do you think that white plastic is the bottom of a broken off rebound knob? From the PDF diagram, that white plastic part doesn't have numbered part label. I'm guessing it's part of #1 on the diagram (Rebound Knob)?

Thanks! I'm starting to feel better about the situation.

#45 ·
Yes, that white plastic is the bottom of the rebound knob. The rebound shaft seats into the bottom of the plastic and the ball bearings and spring which click when rotating the rebound knob. See pg. 19, upper left-hand corner has an illustration of the knob.

#46 ·
jdinsj said:
Yes, that white plastic is the bottom of the rebound knob. The rebound shaft seats into the bottom of the plastic and the ball bearings and spring which click when rotating the rebound knob. See pg. 19, upper left-hand corner has an illustration of the knob.
You're awesome! Thank you so much!

You think I can find this part online so I can replace it myself? I tried searching with no luck. Will I have to contact Cannondale directly? Thanks.

#47 ·
Contact your Cannondale LBS. Parts are getting scarce for the early model Lefty Max 140. I have an '05 FFD from my Prophet. I wanted to upgrade with a TPC damper, but were all sold out. Ended up buying an '07 140 with the TPC and the '05 is now just for backup and maybe parts. Check with MendonCycleSmith to see if he has what your looking for.

#50 ·
Bottom up?

I just bought a Flash Carbon 3, and I love it, put I can clearly feel the fork stopping in the top when it rebounds. Like bottoming out, but the other way around. I don't know what the real term is.

Is there something wrong with the fork? Is it not adjusted properly? I tried to adjust the rebound, but it just becomes too plush.

I have not owned an XC bike before, so don't know how these light weight fork work. I don't feel it while riding, but if I lift the front wheel or pop a wheelie, I can feel it.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

#51 ·
I have a Lefty ELO and would like to change the oil myself to improve / customize dampening. I keep my bearing races clean and greased and it holds air fine but I just can't find a guide for changing the oil. Any sort of rebuild/maintenance information for this shok would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

JT