Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Lefty Speed Carbon 100 XLR 2011 Travel Reduction

Hi All!
    I converted my 26" Scalpel 2011 to 650b and want now "reduce the length of my lefty" so that I get a steeper head angle in order to overcome the increased trail and get a more agile handling again. What I know is that I can reduce travel with the travel reducer kit, see

Cannondale Lefty Travel Reducers DLR PBR XLR - Part Number HD010
    from cannondaleexperts.com
    (unfortunately I am not allowed to post links )

However, from my understanding this just guarantees that there is enought clearance for the bigger wheel. Is there any possibility to lower the lefty, i.e. do kind of steady precompression of the damper?

Thanks for any hints.

A little of everything
    The travel reducers/limiters are positioned on the shaft above the damper. If you want to reduce the A-C length you need to place a spacer on the shaft below the damper. Cannondale doesn't make a specific kit for this and I'm not sure if the top spacer can be used for this purpose. They might have too big a diameter, but i guess they could be grinded down a bit if that is the case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anders, thanks for your support. If I got it right the limiters need to be placed according to the red arrow:

Would it also be adviseable to reduce air volume with one of these air reduction spacers:

Cannondale Solo Air Lefty Tuning Volume Reducer Set - KH076/ - CannondaleExperts.com

Thanks
    Last edited by ssuats; 07-09-2012 at 11:22 AM.

A little of everything
    Yes that is correct. No you don't need to add any volume reducers to compensate. When you place it where you have indicated the volume will be reduced "automatically".

I myself just bought a Lefty Carbon Ultra PBR with 120mm travel to replace my Lefty Terralogic and plan to lower it to 110mm in the same way and get the AC of 480mm as the Terralogic. The new speed's with 100mm travel and AC of 470mm I fear are simply too low and fast steering for my kind of riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks Anders, happy riding with your new lefty

I now got the information from my Cannondale dealer that the limiters/reducers fit above and belowe the cartouche.

A little of everything
    Just one last comment. The reducer clip can be placed in two ways on the lower shaft. If placed below the lower air seal you will increase the volume of the negative air chamber. Placed above it will remain the same. I don't know how much it will effect the feel of the suspension, I'll try to experiment with it myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hm, you mean it is possible to attach the limiter either in position 1 or 2:

I have doubts that attaching the limniter in position 2 would have a significant influence on negative air spring volume since the limiter is solid and has a volume itself. Moreover I would have concerns that the negative air spring still works correctly.

A little of everything
    Yes exactly and you a right in that the effect is minimal. But please be carefull with the width of the clip. The inner diameter of the lower leg is smaller than at the top. You don't want it to wear on the inner surface. To be sure please compare the diameter of the air seal and the clip.

A little of everything
    ssuats, I just received my fork and put the spacer in position 1, as you indicated in post #207. Just one comment though. The travel reduction spacer is about 0.5mm larger in diameter than the upper air seal and you need to file it down or it won't go down the lower leg. It's a one minute job. Besides this it went as smooth as expected, though the locktite on the damper was very hard to break free. You need a lot of force to get it loose and be very carefull that the castle tool doesn't slip out of the damper interface or you will be in trouble. My fork was originally 490mm A-C now it's 480mm and you can definitely feel the different in steering, but I don't notice any change in suspension feel at least on tarmac.

EDIT!

I just realized that placing the spacer in the position indicated above will cause the spacer to move on the damper shaft when the fork is compressing which might cause wear on the surface in the long run. I have revised the placement to now be between the lower bottom out bumper and the lower air seal. The spacer should not move when place in this position.

Last edited by Anders; 07-18-2012 at 05:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Possible Lefty Problem

The quick version - have a 2011 Ultra PBR. It's seen use, but not a ton, and hadn't even been on a frame for several months. Recently I picked up a frame for it, and before installing, figured I better do the bearing reset, as I had not done it before. Did that, one ride, no problem. Last Sunday did a rough, fast race. Last night I noticed quite a bit of suspension fluid on the bottom part of the Lefty, from the boot down. It wasn't so bad that it was dripping on the floor, but that section of it was pretty much covered. This is one of 3 Lefty's I have and this is new on me. Did I blow something during the race? Cause for concern? (I'm assuming so, but...) Any ideas or tips for me here, other clues to look for, etc? Thanks!

Happy Trails

Differences in the New 2013 Lefty Fork?

Can anyone summarize and explain the new features for 2013 in the high-end 29r carbon fork? I'm a Lefty newb, but convinved the design is better. I am trying to figure out if is worth to wait till mid-Fall for a 2013 or score a deal on a 2012.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Can anyone summarize and explain the new features for 2013 in the high-end 29r carbon fork? I'm a Lefty newb, but convinved the design is better. I am trying to figure out if is worth to wait till mid-Fall for a 2013 or score a deal on a 2012.
    I'd wait for the 2013 because of new features (but nobody knows yet if there we will be any issues with these lefties )
    for me the best new update is auto bearing reset or possibility to reset without disassembling the lefty - this worth a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    The quick version - have a 2011 Ultra PBR. It's seen use, but not a ton, and hadn't even been on a frame for several months. Recently I picked up a frame for it, and before installing, figured I better do the bearing reset, as I had not done it before. Did that, one ride, no problem. Last Sunday did a rough, fast race. Last night I noticed quite a bit of suspension fluid on the bottom part of the Lefty, from the boot down. It wasn't so bad that it was dripping on the floor, but that section of it was pretty much covered. This is one of 3 Lefty's I have and this is new on me. Did I blow something during the race? Cause for concern? (I'm assuming so, but...) Any ideas or tips for me here, other clues to look for, etc? Thanks!
    You certainly blew the rebound cartridge. Try locking your lefty again. It shouldn't be working anymore. It happened to me twice on my 2004 lefty carbon. (every 3 years is not so bad, i think!)
    The bad thing is, most shop don't replace them themselves, they send it back to Cannondale for tune up and so you're left waiting 2-3 weeks for your fork to come back!!!

JF

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks. I tried it, and the lockout seems to still be working. I raised the boot up and there is definitely fluid. And it couldn't be just the grease from the square slider part (technical terms here.) Thinking I should probably just get a general tune done anyway and then anything wrong can be fixed while they're at it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    does someone make a lefty axle cover for when your front wheel is off the bike? I don't have a bike rack yet and have to travel with the front tire off in the car.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Trojan? Durex if you're risky.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a 2001 Jekyll that came with a Lefty DLR. I rode it for a year then it went into storage. I recently got it out of storage (10 years?) and rode it around and the fork seems to be working fine, but because it is so old and has been in storage, is there anything I need to watch out for?
    Last edited by shark413; 08-20-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Mr. Knowitall
    Check the needle bearings and races for corrosion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    One more thing, I lost the manual for the Lefty. Is the Lefty DLR circa 2001 an air suspension fork or does it use a spring? It has a valve on the bottom, but this could be for the negative spring (air)? So is it an spring/air fork or all air?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shark413 View Post
    One more thing, I lost the manual for the Lefty. Is the Lefty DLR circa 2001 an air suspension fork or does it use a spring? It has a valve on the bottom, but this could be for the negative spring (air)? So is it an spring/air fork or all air?
    After doing some searching I found the manual online, the Lefty I have is air suspended.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

xlr issue

my xlr lefty on my scalpel behaves differently all of the sudden, here are the things i notice different:

1. after removing all the air from it, it is not soft to compress and decompress not like before that it was soft and smooth to cycle after taking all the air out

2. putting only 100psi makes it feel like its locket out

3. increasing rebound(turning clockwise) makes it hard to compress the lefty but does not slow down the rebound

does anyone have experienced this? i felt like there's trapped air inside but im pretty sure i depressed the schrader valve to take all the air out

bike is 3 months old, 2012 scalpel 2

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by bboytab View Post
    my xlr lefty on my scalpel behaves differently all of the sudden, here are the things i notice different:

1. after removing all the air from it, it is not soft to compress and decompress not like before that it was soft and smooth to cycle after taking all the air out

2. putting only 100psi makes it feel like its locket out

3. increasing rebound(turning clockwise) makes it hard to compress the lefty but does not slow down the rebound

does anyone have experienced this? i felt like there's trapped air inside but im pretty sure i depressed the schrader valve to take all the air out

bike is 3 months old, 2012 scalpel 2
    Try adding some fox float fluid to the air chamber (that's on the bottom). I think that will fix it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

lock out adjustment

Looks like I found the issue. Its the rock shox remote lockout, even if its off, it is actually partially on and causing the lefty to feel rough. I found this out by pressing the switch all the time, its a lot smoother. Now, does anybody know how to adjust the lockout? The lockout's adjustment knob is already turned all the way to the right. Bleed?

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    Try adding some fox float fluid to the air chamber (that's on the bottom). I think that will fix it.
    Last edited by bboytab; 08-31-2012 at 08:54 PM.

J_K
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I still need to know 100mm 29er lefty axle to crown height.
    Eighty-Aid says it's 485mm, but then they list 130mm as 500mm A-C, other's says it's 500mm. I don't know which one is right height.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J_K View Post
    I still need to know 100mm 29er lefty axle to crown height.
    Eighty-Aid says it's 485mm, but then they list 130mm as 500mm A-C, other's says it's 500mm. I don't know which one is right height.
    100mm 29er is approx 505mm axle to crown. Just like a 130mm 26er.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast