Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Lots of questions, but nobodies answering them. Ok here's one. I love my lefty but don't love the flexy swingarm of my prophet. Looking at building a stout 4bar all mountain bike that fits a lefty. Maybe a banshe rune. In order to fit do I need:

1.5 head tube
    Lefty headset (not any 1.5 headset)
    A specific head tube length of 121mm?

Anyone Confirm this? Thx

mtbr member
    May 2010

Left Max 130 FFD how do you get to damper cartridge

Left Max 130 FFD cartridge Leaking oil how do you get to damper cartridge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuul75 View Post
    Lots of questions, but nobodies answering them. Ok here's one. I love my lefty but don't love the flexy swingarm of my prophet. Looking at building a stout 4bar all mountain bike that fits a lefty. Maybe a banshe rune. In order to fit do I need:

1.5 head tube
    Lefty headset (not any 1.5 headset)
    A specific head tube length of 121mm?

Anyone Confirm this? Thx
    A 1.5 Head tube WOULD be helpful, no adapter necessary. But if you go with a frame with a 1 & 1/8 heat tube there all kinds of adapters. Cannondale has an official adapter: Cannondale Lefty Steerer Tube Conversion Kit to 1 1/8" Part Number KH075
    here's a link to one on cannondaleexperts

here's a video talking about (among other things) the adapter and the different crown heights the newer lefty's come in. I know you want to use the lefty you have so look for a frame that it will fit.

If your looking to get rid of your Prophet, PM me. I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of these. Right now I have a 2006 rush 4 but my hart is relay set on a Prophet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2011 XLR 100mm

Got a problem with the rebound adjust. Since it was new the rebound knob was very hard to turn. With as much force as I could muster with bare hands I could adjust the knob and got it set where the rebound was good.

I reset the needle bearings for the first time and once I loosened the top cap a little I could move the knob with ease. I reset the bearings with no problem but when I reassembled the remote lockout and rebound adjuster the adjuster knob just keeps turning with out stopping. I have look at it every way I can but it looks like the shaft of the lockout/remote fits properly. Once I tighten the top cap the rebound knob is now impossible to move by hand.

Lefty performs fine. So what is broken?

mtbr member
    Hi!

I have a Lefty Max fork TPC 140 of 2005, and I want to do the oil change following the instruction manual, but I can't loosen the lower screw (22mm key) because I think that there is an elastic pin (see the photo).

I wonder if this is normal and how can I do to remove the pin. The fork was repared for Eighty-aid service.

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my english!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-dsc04876-red.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Lefty Max 140 SPV Bearing question (Too Tight)

I recently had my Lefty max rebuilt by a known lefty service center. It was in rough shape prior as I bought it used. The center replaced the bearings, and rebuilt the rebound circuit as it was badly damaged. The SPV functions, as does the rebound now. My problem is that the fork is really tight. It feels like the bearings are really tight between the races and there is too much friction to allow them to roll smoothly. Its not gritty just really tight. There is plenty of grease on the races. I was told since the bearings are new it would be tight until i put a few miles on it and everything settled in place. Ive got probably 10 miles on the fork now and its still just as tight. It is sprung correctly so that is not the issue. Feels bearing related. Any ideas??

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

lefty boot on cannondale factory recing team ?

What kind of boot(if at all) used cannondale factory recing team on their lefty ?
    And why they not use standard boots?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi, i've got a lefty elo with the lockout brake, i'm thinking in change the electronic lockout for a manual lockout, anyone know if i can do it?, and if i can what can i need, can i do it with the lockout of the lefty dlr?.
    Sorry about my english, i live in spain and i can write well in english.
    Lo pongo en español por si alguien lo entiende mejor, perdon, pero no hablo bien ingles, aunque si lo puedo leer.
    Tengo una lefty elo con el bloqueo roto, quiero repararlo, pero creo que sera mejor poner el bloqueo manual, se puede hacer?, tendria que cambiar el cartucho completo por el de una dlr?
    Gracias

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've got a DLR Lefty 26er fork with clamp on crowns, which I want to convert to fit a 29er with a 1.125" head tube.
    According to Project 321, I need the Clamp-On Lefty Adapter, complete with new crowns, at $200.
    Is there a good reason why I can't use a standard Project 321 adapter at $90, or the Dr Cannondale adapter at €72, which both work out at about £60.
    Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan single speed mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.

mtbr member
    At last, I can say that the pin does'nt block the screw (they had to put it only in some series), but I can tell you is really strong ...

I have now opened and now I have to do all the maintenance inside ...

mtbr member
    May 2009

Carbon SL 110 replacement damper part number?

I had the same problem as Radditized below. I got the damper serviced and now it works as it should but the shop said I still do need a new damper.

question is what is the part number for the carbon SL110 fork damper?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitized View Post
    I have a carbon Lefty SL 110 (2008) which I have bought used, and no idea when the last service was, if any at all. Dont know if it matters to my question, but now you know.

I did a bearing reset according to your reset guide (very nice, thanks ).
    And now a few weeks later, the lockout has a kind of sag, before it really locks completely. It is about 10-15 mm before it locks.

I have an alu lefty which is newly serviced, and feels really nice compared to my carbon lefty. And it locks immediatly, without the sag.
    Im afraid I have dont something wrong perhaps, while resetting til bearings.

I went to my LBS and he said with just testing the fork, that I properly needed a new cartridge. But I would really like to save the 300 dollars it would cost me.

Any ideas?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2010
    having the same issue. I know this post is from a long time ago....wondering if you ever figured out the exact cause of the problem. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I never figured it out

But I have another problem. My Lefty XLR 29er has a klonk sound when its locked. It probably needs a service also, but could a mere service solve the problem, os is there something else to this klonk sound?

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I took my fork to be serviced and got it fixed. Left 29er DLR. It needed new oil, thus the squishy feeling even when locked out. I also had the klonk sound when locked out...actual movement in the top assembly of the fork when you pulled up on it...about 5 mm of movement. Bad. I thought the fork was f'd. Turns out, it was just loose and in an easy place to fix. My fork has a red rebound knob on the top, with a small set screw holding it on. Remove the set screw and take off the red cap. Under there is a protruding spindle, with a small 10mm nut on it. Careful, it's an aluminum nut, so easy to strip. Mine was loose so the entire assembly would rock up and down. Tightened that down, and BAM...no more movement. Replace rebound knob and set screw and all is good in Lefty land. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Mine doesnt have that 10 mm screw, I remember it did have it on my older 2008 Carbon SL (110 mm 26")

But I want to give my 2011 Lefty carbon XLR (90 mm) a service, but a service kit is a bit of a reach. I have used it a lot since june 2011. Can I just change the oil and leave it at that? Or would I need a full service kit, with new o-rings etc. This is first service since new of june 2011.

Because then I would just change oil tommorrow, and change o-rings at next service. I know it depends on what state the o-rings are in, but does any have any experience with first service leftys from about 8 months use (ca. 5000-7000 km)

A fast response is VERY much apriciated, thanks

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i need advice...

My PBR Lefty travel is awfully short~
    Is it because of the air escaping or something else?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is it short due to it not being able to be fully extended or because it tops out before hitting full compression? From what I gather, the former (not fully extended) could be due to lack of air pressure (check your PSI! Don't ride it if under 50 PSI!). Some pumps are problematic getting a shock pumped up due to having a hard time getting the Schrader valve opened up.

The second sounds like it could be a needle bearing migration problem that would need a bearing reset.

Of course, MendonCycleSmith should probably be advising you, not me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    help, my Lynskey frame broke and I decided to replace it with their lefty specific frame. I bought a Lefty Speed Carbon XLR 2011 (expensive) I rode it ~ 140 miles and I took it to my shop because of a rear ss hub issue. Anyway my favorite mechanic pushed down the fork and when it came back up there is a louder thump. I left it with them and it is apart. Any idea what this could be? I may have noticed it when I pooped the front wheel up to get the front wheel over the curve. Thanks in advance for any help.

n13
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Lefty Carbon ELO disassembly: help needed

Hi everybody!

I've got a Lefty Carbon ELO with Ti spindle.
    The issue is that the motor buzzes, but no lockout happens.
    Seems like the motor itself is OK, and the problem lies in its relationship with the shaft.

I'm trying to disassemble it, but it now seems that I need some external help with that.
    What is the disassembly sequence for Lefty Carbon ELO, and what does the special tool that's required to detach the damping cartridge look like?
    The part to be unscrewed suggests that the key should have 4 pins, just as HDTL146, but longer, and I wonder how can it be put in there, for there is not as much space for it as in the modern versions.

I have read many success stories of ELO disassembly/repair/replacement here, but no clear instructions, unfortunately.
    So I ask you for assistance.

Thanks!

mtbr member

lefty spring

I have an older lefty max 130 tpc. It has a black spring in it and i require a blue. Does anyone know if the 140 max springs will swap in the 130? Also, if anyone has a blue spring they aren't using i would gladly give you moneys for it.

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoverp View Post
    Hey guys just a question on my 2007 Lefty Ti, TPC max SPV. I am looking for a Firm titanium spring.

I went to my dealer and he got me a 140mm exfirm steel spring with 5 wt oil vs 2.5 wt which is called for in my manual because thats what Cannondale sent him, they said they dont have any parts for the Lefty. I measured the spring, its 245mm vice 241mm which is called for in my manual for the extra firm steel spring, designated for the 130mm travel fork.

My problem is can I use the 140mm lefty max spring in my 130 mm travel lefty by shortening the preload spacer to keep the overall total spring length and preload max measurement....

my dealer says that the fork was made by manitou and they went out of business so Cannondale cannot get the parts any more...otherwise he would have sent me the firm ti spring.

what can I do ? Im just getting too much static sag with the stock medium ti spring the bike came with.

Thanks

Patrick, Montana

Hi, I have a max 130 tpc with the black spring. Way to stiff for me. I need the blue. If you are wanting to trade or sell me your blue it would be great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Headshok lefty elo help!!!

"Hi im new to the lefty-im having problems seeing how to open my lefty for a service and oil.
    removed all battery and motor controls and have a black nutconected to the damper leg.
    first off i think i need a castle tool for the top of the damper as it has 4xholes and a place to hold with a spanner further down, altho it looks to be one part?? any one confirm this??
    Seems cannondale want you to go to service centre and pay millions! lol....

also will change the rubbers and relube/replace bearing when needed. how much oil what oil and where is the fill point?

thanks

Mr. Knowitall

Convert coil Max RLC to 29"

Is it possible to convert a 2010 Lefty Max Carbon with Fox RLC internals and coil spring to 29-er by limiting the travel? And if so, what travel will I get? I have a fork I am going to sell, and most of the people intererested wonder if it can be 29-erized.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Help i have broke my lefty

Hi can anyone tell me what i need to fix this,a few weeks ago the lockout packed up so it just spins round then yesterday there was a bang & now the lockout/red nob just comes out the black shaft had shapped & the oil comes out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

100mm 29er Lefty XLR - Remove XLR???

Can I remove the XLR adjuster and convert it to traditional poptop?
    Would it affect performance?
    What parts are needed?

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast