Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc

448K views 1K replies 397 participants last post by  MendonCycleSmith 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#140 ·
Mine doesnt have that 10 mm screw, I remember it did have it on my older 2008 Carbon SL (110 mm 26")

But I want to give my 2011 Lefty carbon XLR (90 mm) a service, but a service kit is a bit of a reach. I have used it a lot since june 2011. Can I just change the oil and leave it at that? Or would I need a full service kit, with new o-rings etc. This is first service since new of june 2011.

Because then I would just change oil tommorrow, and change o-rings at next service. I know it depends on what state the o-rings are in, but does any have any experience with first service leftys from about 8 months use (ca. 5000-7000 km)

A fast response is VERY much apriciated, thanks :D

Cheers

#142 ·
Is it short due to it not being able to be fully extended or because it tops out before hitting full compression? From what I gather, the former (not fully extended) could be due to lack of air pressure (check your PSI! Don't ride it if under 50 PSI!). Some pumps are problematic getting a shock pumped up due to having a hard time getting the Schrader valve opened up.

The second sounds like it could be a needle bearing migration problem that would need a bearing reset.

Of course, MendonCycleSmith should probably be advising you, not me.

#143 ·
help, my Lynskey frame broke and I decided to replace it with their lefty specific frame. I bought a Lefty Speed Carbon XLR 2011 (expensive) I rode it ~ 140 miles and I took it to my shop because of a rear ss hub issue. Anyway my favorite mechanic pushed down the fork and when it came back up there is a louder thump. I left it with them and it is apart. Any idea what this could be? I may have noticed it when I pooped the front wheel up to get the front wheel over the curve. Thanks in advance for any help.

#144 ·
Lefty Carbon ELO disassembly: help needed

Hi everybody!

I've got a Lefty Carbon ELO with Ti spindle.
The issue is that the motor buzzes, but no lockout happens.
Seems like the motor itself is OK, and the problem lies in its relationship with the shaft.

I'm trying to disassemble it, but it now seems that I need some external help with that.
What is the disassembly sequence for Lefty Carbon ELO, and what does the special tool that's required to detach the damping cartridge look like?
The part to be unscrewed suggests that the key should have 4 pins, just as HDTL146, but longer, and I wonder how can it be put in there, for there is not as much space for it as in the modern versions.

I have read many success stories of ELO disassembly/repair/replacement here, but no clear instructions, unfortunately.
So I ask you for assistance.

Thanks!

#147 ·
Headshok lefty elo help!!!

"Hi im new to the lefty-im having problems seeing how to open my lefty for a service and oil.:madman:
removed all battery and motor controls and have a black nutconected to the damper leg.
first off i think i need a castle tool for the top of the damper as it has 4xholes and a place to hold with a spanner further down, altho it looks to be one part?? any one confirm this??
Seems cannondale want you to go to service centre and pay millions! lol....

also will change the rubbers and relube/replace bearing when needed. how much oil what oil and where is the fill point?

#148 ·
Convert coil Max RLC to 29"

Is it possible to convert a 2010 Lefty Max Carbon with Fox RLC internals and coil spring to 29-er by limiting the travel? And if so, what travel will I get? I have a fork I am going to sell, and most of the people intererested wonder if it can be 29-erized.

Thanks in advance.

#158 ·
guys, need your support... I have Super Castle tool (like this: Cannondale Super Castle Lefty + Headshok Cartridge Removal Tool - KH031 - CannondaleExperts.com ) and Lefty 130 PBR Carbon. Today I have tried to remove damper cartridge from my lefty but I wasn't able to do this, because this tool can't reach the damper itself, it looks like the shaft of the damper is longer then the tool and the rebound not does not let the tool reach the damper.
Hope I described the problem so as you can understand :)

#167 ·
Does anyone know the A/C lengths of say 26" Lefty vs. 29" Lefty? I have a Flash 29er and thinking of doing a 650b Rush and wanted to know how much geo would change if I used the Lefty of my Flash 29er. Thanks!

#168 ·
There are 3 A-to-C lengths for the 3 types of modern Lefty's.

470mm = 100mm (26) / 70mm (29) - aka Lefty "Speed"
490mm = 120mm (26) / 90mm (29) - aka Lefty "Ultra"
510mm = 140mm (26) / 110mm (29) - aka Lefty "Max"

Those numbers are for PBR/XLR setups...

So there really is no such thing as a 29er specific Lefty since all 3 can be (and are) used on 29er bikes. I think the Flashes come with Ultras set to 90mm. I think the Rushes came with 110mm DLR2 Leftys, so the Ultra will be 10mm taller with the same sized wheel. The 650b front wheel will make the front even taller.

I'm a big 650b fanatic so I say definitely give it a shot. However, you might want to keep your eyes open for a 100mm Lefty Speed if you feel the Ultra makes the front end too slack.

#169 ·
There are 3 A-to-C lengths for the 3 types of modern Lefty's.

470mm = 100mm (26) / 70mm (29) - aka Lefty "Speed"
490mm = 120mm (26) / 90mm (29) - aka Lefty "Ultra"
510mm = 140mm (26) / 110mm (29) - aka Lefty "Max"

Those numbers are for PBR/XLR setups...

So there really is no such thing as a 29er specific Lefty since all 3 can be (and are) used on 29er bikes. I think the Flashes come with Ultras set to 90mm. I think the Rushes came with 110mm DLR2 Leftys, so the Ultra will be 10mm taller with the same sized wheel. The 650b front wheel will make the front even taller.

I'm a big 650b fanatic so I say definitely give it a shot. However, you might want to keep your eyes open for a 100mm Lefty Speed if you feel the Ultra makes the front end too slack.
Thanks for the response! I'm really interested in the 650b. Do you have any experience running the Lefty Ultra on a Rush?

I have my eyes on a Lefty Speed on eBay but as you know even used ones aren't cheap. Using the one I have on my Flash would save money but I do worry about messing with the geo of the Rush (which I like a lot).

#170 ·
this looks like the place.
I am building a 2007 Scalpel, size XL, from the frame up.
I need to findout the size of the headstock, which brake sets are best to go with,
rims, tires, etc.
Is it worth it to spend the cash on the Lefty Fork, or would a regular Rock Shox fork work as well?

I'm 6'5" and 225, and want to make sure i give myself enough room to use my legs, so the best size for the cranks, rims and all would be great advice.

The minute details, for headstock, forks . . . it's all going to be important to hear

Thanks for your help, looking forward to building this bike getting out there!