Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Lefty Speed Carbon 100 XLR 2011 Travel Reduction

Hi All!
    I converted my 26" Scalpel 2011 to 650b and want now "reduce the length of my lefty" so that I get a steeper head angle in order to overcome the increased trail and get a more agile handling again. What I know is that I can reduce travel with the travel reducer kit, see

Cannondale Lefty Travel Reducers DLR PBR XLR - Part Number HD010
    from cannondaleexperts.com
    (unfortunately I am not allowed to post links )

However, from my understanding this just guarantees that there is enought clearance for the bigger wheel. Is there any possibility to lower the lefty, i.e. do kind of steady precompression of the damper?

Thanks for any hints.

A little of everything
    The travel reducers/limiters are positioned on the shaft above the damper. If you want to reduce the A-C length you need to place a spacer on the shaft below the damper. Cannondale doesn't make a specific kit for this and I'm not sure if the top spacer can be used for this purpose. They might have too big a diameter, but i guess they could be grinded down a bit if that is the case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anders, thanks for your support. If I got it right the limiters need to be placed according to the red arrow:

Would it also be adviseable to reduce air volume with one of these air reduction spacers:

Cannondale Solo Air Lefty Tuning Volume Reducer Set - KH076/ - CannondaleExperts.com

Thanks
    Last edited by ssuats; 07-09-2012 at 10:22 AM.

A little of everything
    Yes that is correct. No you don't need to add any volume reducers to compensate. When you place it where you have indicated the volume will be reduced "automatically".

I myself just bought a Lefty Carbon Ultra PBR with 120mm travel to replace my Lefty Terralogic and plan to lower it to 110mm in the same way and get the AC of 480mm as the Terralogic. The new speed's with 100mm travel and AC of 470mm I fear are simply too low and fast steering for my kind of riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks Anders, happy riding with your new lefty

I now got the information from my Cannondale dealer that the limiters/reducers fit above and belowe the cartouche.

A little of everything
    Just one last comment. The reducer clip can be placed in two ways on the lower shaft. If placed below the lower air seal you will increase the volume of the negative air chamber. Placed above it will remain the same. I don't know how much it will effect the feel of the suspension, I'll try to experiment with it myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hm, you mean it is possible to attach the limiter either in position 1 or 2:

I have doubts that attaching the limniter in position 2 would have a significant influence on negative air spring volume since the limiter is solid and has a volume itself. Moreover I would have concerns that the negative air spring still works correctly.

A little of everything
    Yes exactly and you a right in that the effect is minimal. But please be carefull with the width of the clip. The inner diameter of the lower leg is smaller than at the top. You don't want it to wear on the inner surface. To be sure please compare the diameter of the air seal and the clip.

A little of everything
    ssuats, I just received my fork and put the spacer in position 1, as you indicated in post #207. Just one comment though. The travel reduction spacer is about 0.5mm larger in diameter than the upper air seal and you need to file it down or it won't go down the lower leg. It's a one minute job. Besides this it went as smooth as expected, though the locktite on the damper was very hard to break free. You need a lot of force to get it loose and be very carefull that the castle tool doesn't slip out of the damper interface or you will be in trouble. My fork was originally 490mm A-C now it's 480mm and you can definitely feel the different in steering, but I don't notice any change in suspension feel at least on tarmac.

EDIT!

I just realized that placing the spacer in the position indicated above will cause the spacer to move on the damper shaft when the fork is compressing which might cause wear on the surface in the long run. I have revised the placement to now be between the lower bottom out bumper and the lower air seal. The spacer should not move when place in this position.

Last edited by Anders; 07-18-2012 at 04:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Possible Lefty Problem

The quick version - have a 2011 Ultra PBR. It's seen use, but not a ton, and hadn't even been on a frame for several months. Recently I picked up a frame for it, and before installing, figured I better do the bearing reset, as I had not done it before. Did that, one ride, no problem. Last Sunday did a rough, fast race. Last night I noticed quite a bit of suspension fluid on the bottom part of the Lefty, from the boot down. It wasn't so bad that it was dripping on the floor, but that section of it was pretty much covered. This is one of 3 Lefty's I have and this is new on me. Did I blow something during the race? Cause for concern? (I'm assuming so, but...) Any ideas or tips for me here, other clues to look for, etc? Thanks!

Happy Trails

Differences in the New 2013 Lefty Fork?

Can anyone summarize and explain the new features for 2013 in the high-end 29r carbon fork? I'm a Lefty newb, but convinved the design is better. I am trying to figure out if is worth to wait till mid-Fall for a 2013 or score a deal on a 2012.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Can anyone summarize and explain the new features for 2013 in the high-end 29r carbon fork? I'm a Lefty newb, but convinved the design is better. I am trying to figure out if is worth to wait till mid-Fall for a 2013 or score a deal on a 2012.
    I'd wait for the 2013 because of new features (but nobody knows yet if there we will be any issues with these lefties )
    for me the best new update is auto bearing reset or possibility to reset without disassembling the lefty - this worth a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    The quick version - have a 2011 Ultra PBR. It's seen use, but not a ton, and hadn't even been on a frame for several months. Recently I picked up a frame for it, and before installing, figured I better do the bearing reset, as I had not done it before. Did that, one ride, no problem. Last Sunday did a rough, fast race. Last night I noticed quite a bit of suspension fluid on the bottom part of the Lefty, from the boot down. It wasn't so bad that it was dripping on the floor, but that section of it was pretty much covered. This is one of 3 Lefty's I have and this is new on me. Did I blow something during the race? Cause for concern? (I'm assuming so, but...) Any ideas or tips for me here, other clues to look for, etc? Thanks!
    You certainly blew the rebound cartridge. Try locking your lefty again. It shouldn't be working anymore. It happened to me twice on my 2004 lefty carbon. (every 3 years is not so bad, i think!)
    The bad thing is, most shop don't replace them themselves, they send it back to Cannondale for tune up and so you're left waiting 2-3 weeks for your fork to come back!!!

JF

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks. I tried it, and the lockout seems to still be working. I raised the boot up and there is definitely fluid. And it couldn't be just the grease from the square slider part (technical terms here.) Thinking I should probably just get a general tune done anyway and then anything wrong can be fixed while they're at it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    does someone make a lefty axle cover for when your front wheel is off the bike? I don't have a bike rack yet and have to travel with the front tire off in the car.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Trojan? Durex if you're risky.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a 2001 Jekyll that came with a Lefty DLR. I rode it for a year then it went into storage. I recently got it out of storage (10 years?) and rode it around and the fork seems to be working fine, but because it is so old and has been in storage, is there anything I need to watch out for?
    Last edited by shark413; 08-20-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Mr. Knowitall
    Check the needle bearings and races for corrosion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    One more thing, I lost the manual for the Lefty. Is the Lefty DLR circa 2001 an air suspension fork or does it use a spring? It has a valve on the bottom, but this could be for the negative spring (air)? So is it an spring/air fork or all air?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shark413 View Post
    One more thing, I lost the manual for the Lefty. Is the Lefty DLR circa 2001 an air suspension fork or does it use a spring? It has a valve on the bottom, but this could be for the negative spring (air)? So is it an spring/air fork or all air?
    After doing some searching I found the manual online, the Lefty I have is air suspended.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

xlr issue

my xlr lefty on my scalpel behaves differently all of the sudden, here are the things i notice different:

1. after removing all the air from it, it is not soft to compress and decompress not like before that it was soft and smooth to cycle after taking all the air out

2. putting only 100psi makes it feel like its locket out

3. increasing rebound(turning clockwise) makes it hard to compress the lefty but does not slow down the rebound

does anyone have experienced this? i felt like there's trapped air inside but im pretty sure i depressed the schrader valve to take all the air out

bike is 3 months old, 2012 scalpel 2

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by bboytab View Post
    my xlr lefty on my scalpel behaves differently all of the sudden, here are the things i notice different:

1. after removing all the air from it, it is not soft to compress and decompress not like before that it was soft and smooth to cycle after taking all the air out

2. putting only 100psi makes it feel like its locket out

3. increasing rebound(turning clockwise) makes it hard to compress the lefty but does not slow down the rebound

does anyone have experienced this? i felt like there's trapped air inside but im pretty sure i depressed the schrader valve to take all the air out

bike is 3 months old, 2012 scalpel 2
    Try adding some fox float fluid to the air chamber (that's on the bottom). I think that will fix it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

lock out adjustment

Looks like I found the issue. Its the rock shox remote lockout, even if its off, it is actually partially on and causing the lefty to feel rough. I found this out by pressing the switch all the time, its a lot smoother. Now, does anybody know how to adjust the lockout? The lockout's adjustment knob is already turned all the way to the right. Bleed?

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    Try adding some fox float fluid to the air chamber (that's on the bottom). I think that will fix it.
    Last edited by bboytab; 08-31-2012 at 07:54 PM.

J_K
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I still need to know 100mm 29er lefty axle to crown height.
    Eighty-Aid says it's 485mm, but then they list 130mm as 500mm A-C, other's says it's 500mm. I don't know which one is right height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_K View Post
    I still need to know 100mm 29er lefty axle to crown height.
    Eighty-Aid says it's 485mm, but then they list 130mm as 500mm A-C, other's says it's 500mm. I don't know which one is right height.
    100mm 29er is approx 505mm axle to crown. Just like a 130mm 26er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can anyone tell me how I can check the age of my damper? I just bought a Lefty Max PBR 130 from 2009. It was sent back to cannondale and supposedly the installed a new PBR damper. I'd like to know if I can play with the progressivity and low speed damping like they say you can here: Cannondale Lefty Ultra Carbon W/PBR Fork Review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi all,

After years of lurking and dipping in and out of mtbr for help and guidance the time has come to step out of the shadows. I'm now (as of today) the very proud owner of a CD Jekyll with the ubiquitous Lefty, in reality i'm the proud owner of a Lefty with a bike attached, atm, though i'm sure once its all up and running i'll be the afore mentioned.

I had previously (and still do) a Whyte JW-2, similar to the PRST-1 but lower specc'd as standard, so i'm a bit of self confessed nut of all things weird and wonderful in the mtb world! I've always admired the Lefty and HAD to have one. Saw one in the free-ads and took a punt, it was frickin miles away so i did what any self respecting man would do with his hard earned cash and bought it over the phone having only asked the bare minimum of information, needs must and all.

I got it for a good price on the basis that the fork needed a service. I've scoured the net and managed to glean the following: its an OSS100 model DLR, i believe to be a 2000 model, though its difficult to get accurate drawings to identify from and there doesn't appear tp be much useful info on the bike, i can post pics (i think) if anyone is still reading this.

I'm an engineer by trade, specifically a design engineer, whilst i do spend most of my time at a computer i do get my hands dirty and have what i would consider to be a high level of mechanical aptitude, plus access to all kinds of fun toys for making bits/tools as needed.

Every link i've found to 'service manuals' for a lefty have taken me to the Cd website and a dead link, the old guy in overalls (who i'm guessing is Gerd Schraner, anyone?) clutching a wheel and looking forlorn is becoming quite a familiar sight now. I've managed to glean that my Lefty is one of the first fully servicable units, not the very early press-install units (2.0) and i can see how i think its should come apart but i don't want to break anything trying.

Should the 90 degree lower leg (which i believe to be Ti, though it doesn't actually say so) come off the lower end of the stancion? There's what looks like a set screw to hold it on, which once removed should allow the removal of the 90 degree section with the axle stub, then allowing the cartridge to be passed out through the top of the steerer (handle bar end)?

Another quicker question, will all Lefty hubs fit all Lefty's? My hub is the original Coda with 4 holes for mounting the disc, can i fit a later 6 hole disc mount hub? Sorry to be pendatic but if the answer is no, could anyone explain why its no, if its just a case of offsetting the disc mounting face or some other mis-alignment that can be addressed?

Many thanks to anyone that made it this far, i tried to set-up a new thread but i've not posted enough.

Just Ride.
    I have some fluid leaking out around the rebound knob on my Lefty Max 140. What happened?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
    I have some fluid leaking out around the rebound knob on my Lefty Max 140. What happened?
    My friends new 2012 PBR did the same thing when he first got it. He was told it was excess oil/lube from being built that was leaking out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm hoping I didn't make an expensive mistake...I have 2011 Cannondale Trail sl2 29er and just purchased a 2012 pbr lefty off of ebay. Clamp spacing wasn't specified but he did mention the bike was too small and he was parting it out. So with that I assume its the regular clamp spacing. My bike has the 1.5" headtube and I'm not sure whether I need to run the SI headset or if the bearings will press in the frame like the flash. The headtube I believe is 4.5" (I say believe as its measures 5" but it appears to have a cup pressed into the bottom of the tube. Cannondales specs for the 2012 says 4.5". Do you guys think the regular clamp spacing will work? If so what headset will work? Thanks...I'm sweating bullets over here hoping I didn't just waste a bunch of loot lol....

Just Ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb64 View Post
    My friends new 2012 PBR did the same thing when he first got it. He was told it was excess oil/lube from being built that was leaking out.
    That makes sense actually. I only recently serviced it. Must have put to much in. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Lefty rebound knob/lockout not working

So my lockout lever has no effect, and the rebound knob just unscrews. I don't have a fluid leak. Does anybody know what could cause this and how to fix it? I know if I send it to Cannondale they'll just charge me $260 for the new PBR damper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

swapping Lefty for old DD50

Regarding headset bearings, if I pop the DD50 out of my Super V and leave the bearings in the head tube, can I just pop the Lefty right in, or do I need to transfer the Lefty bearings into the Super V head tube? And, does a Lefty pop out just like a DD50? I've had the DD50 and other HeadShok forks out, but never a Lefty. On the DD50, I just smack the top with a deadblow hammer and it comes right out.

EDIT: I'm not sure I'm supposed to reply to my own posts, so I'm just putting in an edit.
    Yes, the old DD50 bearings are the same as new Lefty bearings, and the Lefty just popped out of the headtube with a few smacks of the deadblow hammer once the top mounting bracket was removed. And since I have a regular stem and not one of the new one-piece ones, everything just swapped over.

Thanks,

Andy B.
    Last edited by andy b.; 10-20-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    Main Ride: 2016 Jekyll Carbon 2
    '11 Pugsley
    '97 Uber V conversion

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Had my old dlr 110 serviced and ended replacing the inner gubbins with PBR kit. Worked out pretty cheap for basically a new fork! Nice to be rid of the lever! Noticing a slight loss of pressure over time with the PBR kit, anybody else had this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

couple of questions, finally got a lefty dlr80 29er

I finally got a lefty. actually got a caffiene that is too big but got my way into 29ers.

can the 80mm dlr lefty on the 29er be made to 90 or 100mm?

what is the weight of the fork?

any other options for the lefty on a different 1 1/8 or tapered headtube bike than the 321 adaptor??

what will I need to put a tapered fork onto the caffeine?

thanks,
    Edwin

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi All!
    I want to upgrade my lefty max carbon spv to pbr damping. What top collar I need? KH063 or KH064?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For those who go to Cannondale web site and got dead links on the manuals,
    try the "Read" links instead of the "Download" links
    Some of the "Read" links worked for me when the download links are dead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by unicornmusk View Post
    I have an older lefty max 130 tpc. It has a black spring in it and i require a blue. Does anyone know if the 140 max springs will swap in the 130?

thanks
    Did you ever receive and answer for this? I am wondering the same thing.

Andy B.
    Main Ride: 2016 Jekyll Carbon 2
    '11 Pugsley
    '97 Uber V conversion

mtbr member

Lefty xlr on hi-mod2 Flash, photo what's this stain?

My hi-mod 2011 has this staining around the fork, would you say this is oil? I can't get it off.

The bike rides perfect, one guy I know is sponsored and rides these bikes but said he has never serviced his forks in 5 years??? He rides more than me. I do 500km a year only.

Thanks in advance

Edit:- I wrote to Cannondale, they replied within 36hrs (impressive) it will be checked on by a dealer & reported back to them. It's rare. A member has already stated that it may be oil staining this area. I plan to change the OPI anyway so I shall hope to get it cleaned up.
    Last edited by wallstreet; 11-13-2012 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Any 2013 issues yet ? There's a guy on mtb forum that says Cannondale totally messed up the Lefty with this 2013 model,and he rides a Scott anyway.......
    Last edited by Devastazione; 11-13-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Any 2013 issues yet ? There's a guy on mtb forum that says Cannondale totally messed up the Lefty with this 2013 model,and he rides a Scott anyway.......

No 2013 problems buddy & I am a Scott (addict) too! On race bikes. I will always love my Lefty.

Read this :-
    "Because the system is a closed unit, it can be completely removed for service. Cannondale also offer a SWOP (Service Without Problems) exchange service where the damper can be removed and replaced at a reduced cost. The brand also offer a lifetime warranty for the inner and outer legs."

Source article:

http://m.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/arti...-models-34378/

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone knows if all the ID of the double/triple clamps for all generation Lefty are the same ?
    The end that clamps to the fork leg.

DLR, DLR2, Carbon SL, MAX etc

I see lots of Lefty Max sold only with the lower clamp
    what happened to the top clamp ???

Thanks
    Lam

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I took my Flash 29er for a ride last night, with the air temperature in the mid 30's F. I noticed that the rebound on my Lefty PBR was REALLY slow. I set the rebound knob so that rebound should be at its fastest setting, and its still quite slow. Suggestions? Should I just live with it? Is there some maintenance procedure that I'm overlooking? Is it worth trying to use a lighter viscosity oil in the damper cartridge? Is that something that is easily serviceable at home, or would I need to take it to a shop? Any suggestions/advice welcome!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    guys i've got a 07 Rush with a speed lefty on it
    what are tell tale signs that it needs a bearing reset?
    as its leaking from around the lockout and I would rather get everything
    done at the same time.
    Thanks Grant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtaj View Post
    guys i've got a 07 Rush with a speed lefty on it
    what are tell tale signs that it needs a bearing reset?
    as its leaking from around the lockout and I would rather get everything
    done at the same time.
    Thanks Grant
    I would get the whole Lefty serviced, basically this is done under C'dale recommendation on an yearly basis - I have also read 2,000kms. They state it should be checked for needle alignment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Evening all, does anybody have a link to a tutorial for shimming a Lefty to 29er spec. I've seen one somewhere on the web but cant for the life of me find it again.

Pete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YAMIRIDER View Post
    Evening all, does anybody have a link to a tutorial for shimming a Lefty to 29er spec. I've seen one somewhere on the web but cant for the life of me find it again.

Pete
    This: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...what-do-i-need

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Guys,

I am new here and have a few questions.

I am building a super fast carbon 29er hardtail for 24 hour races, got my hands on a 2010 Lefty speed DLR, that I will be converting to a 29er.

I live in South Africa and lefty resources are VERY scarce!!! I have read up on the conversion and thought that I would give it a go (I have done quite a few shocks). My questions are as follows:

1. I know that the spacers need to be approx. 10mm high with ID 10mm and OD 20mm and that you need at least three. Can I make my own out of polypropelene? I have a lathe

2. What material can I use to make the air volume spacer/elastomer? I know that the spacer need to be around 20mm OD and 10 or so mm ID (this can be easily obtained by measuring the shaft and the tube. The hight must be 25mm?

Is this all correct?

I am also looking to have the Castle tool made by our machine shop. By te look of things it can not be that difficult. Saw a thread where a guy used a socket!!

Any info will be really appriciated!!

BTW: How much oil (ml) should be used?

Thanks in advance!!

Gawie

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Lefty carbon xlr 120 in scalpel 80

Hi, I want to ask a question.
    I have a scalpel ultimate 2011 and I think I put on the front suspension LEFTY CARBON XLR 120mm. It is possible to do, or will completely fails the geometry of the bike?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast