Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Thanks Yogiprophet, No oil cap remover as yet. They are an expensive tool for a lump of plastic and a few pins. They retail here in NZ for nearly $90 bucks. I may have a go at machining one up at work, yet. I have made my own shaft clamps so should get my act together and do the oil cap wrench next. Then I can finally get some riding done.
    Tell me, is the bleed screw on the oil cylinder used to burp out any air after replacing the damper oil?

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi lefty View Post
    Thanks Yogiprophet, No oil cap remover as yet. They are an expensive tool for a lump of plastic and a few pins. They retail here in NZ for nearly $90 bucks. I may have a go at machining one up at work, yet. I have made my own shaft clamps so should get my act together and do the oil cap wrench next. Then I can finally get some riding done.
    Tell me, is the bleed screw on the oil cylinder used to burp out any air after replacing the damper oil?
    The great thing about the Cdale oil cap remover is it made out of nylon so it won't scratch the shaft. Although I have used a green Park pin spanner to remove the cap, you have to make sure you file away as much material from between the pins (sticking out inside the pins) as possible. It is a pain but it works.
    I've never used the bleed screw and I haven't had any problems with air. I just cycled the shaft, filled the oil to the top, and when the air settled I screwed in the cap which pushes the excess oil and any air out of the damper.
    The best description of an oil change I have found is here- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...86994#poststop
    Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Lefty wheel hub bearing cap

Is the lefty hub bearing cap (the one that sits inside of the rotor) necessary? Mine makes an obnoxious wheezing sound after a bit of riding. Can I safely remove it?

Noah

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    Is the lefty hub bearing cap (the one that sits inside of the rotor) necessary? Mine makes an obnoxious wheezing sound after a bit of riding. Can I safely remove it?

Noah
    You do not need it, but it helps keep crap out of the bearing.

mtbr member

Phil Wood Tenacious Oil

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    The great thing about the Cdale oil cap remover is it made out of nylon so it won't scratch the shaft. Although I have used a green Park pin spanner to remove the cap, you have to make sure you file away as much material from between the pins (sticking out inside the pins) as possible. It is a pain but it works.
    I've never used the bleed screw and I haven't had any problems with air. I just cycled the shaft, filled the oil to the top, and when the air settled I screwed in the cap which pushes the excess oil and any air out of the damper.
    The best description of an oil change I have found is here- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...86994#poststop
    Enjoy!
    Thanks for your help and link to the oil change post, Yogiprophet. Saved me a bit of time trawling through the posts.

Can you help me with an alternative oil to Phil Woods. Can not find anyone who stocks it over here. The remaining stuff that was left inside the fork when I removed the schrader plug assembly, seemed to be almost the same consistency of chainsaw bar lube.
    Not sure if there are any nasties in bar oil that would harm the seals or plastic. Would Fox float suspension fluid do the same job?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Ultra PBR 120 help!

Hello,

After finishing a rough 70k race yesterday I noticed a strange feeling in my Lefty When compressed there was an inch or so or light resistance followed by firmer resistance through the rest of it's travel. I assumed it needed a bearing reset and so performed a quick one. After pressurizing the fork the feeling was still there. I slid the boot down to make sure things were clean and tidy and noticed that the marks left in the grease on one race seemed higher than the other three. I double checked the reset measurement and it is correct. I then cycled the fork a few times with no air pressure and the front inner race is higher by just under a cm than the other three.

So my questions are:

1. How do I align this bearing?
    2. Would this be the causing of the soft then firm travel. If it isn't - what are potential causes?

Thanks
    Last edited by macdeal; 07-05-2011 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

No Pop-top on 2010 Carbon Ultra 120

Nothing happens when I press it.The button does not engage and the rebound knob does not pop up. I

Is this an adjustment or part replacement? Any danger in continuing to ride the bike?

Thanks in advance for advice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    does anybody have a internal manual of the lefty 140pbr??? i would like to open it and make it a manitenance

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a 2003 Lefty (on a F800 from that year) that does not lock out anymoreŚeven after a complete rebuild with all new seals.

Now the fork appears to be leaking oil out of the air valve at the bottom.

The LBS that did the rebuild claims that the only real solution is a replacement with a 2012 Lefty Speed 100 PBR, or a whole new bike.

So, given the state of my fork, what's the worst that could happen? Should I just suck it up, part out the 2003 rig, and just buy a whole new bike with the latest and greatest component set?

mtbr member
    moved post to own thread
    Last edited by BritOnTour; 07-25-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Moving to own thread

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Lefty on Trek fuel ex 9.9 2010

Hello all bit of a strange one here, I have a fuel ex 9.9 2010 frame which I am currently building up. I would like to try and install a 120mm cannondale carbon lefty fork on the 9.9 frame but wanted to enquire about the carbon frame being able to handle the stress although I cannot see the lefty fork asserting any more strain than a conventional fork and the cannondale carbon frames seem to deal fine with lefty forks and trek carbon is meant to be extremely strong.
    Secondly to this the clearance between the crowns on the lefty fork are perfect for a nearly flush fit on the 9.9 headtube with the headset removed but won't fit with the cane creek xx zero stack headset fitted as it pertrudes too much from the headtube, is there anyway that bearings could be placed directly into the headtube or would it be possible to machine my own bearing cups to the same size but without the pertruding parts to create an actually flush integrated headset much like how cannondale do.
    If you could contact me with your thoughts I would be very grateful, I also understand that any advice recieved or used is currently hypothetical and at my own risk and may void any warrenties.
    Many thanks
    Joel

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi Guys

I have a lefty max alloy and everytime i fill with air at the bottom of shock as soon as i disconnect the shock pump it lets all the air out?

The bike is almost new never been used for over a year its a Rize 3 really am lost with this its not my pump as its fine on my wifes bike and the rear shock rp2

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just to add everytime i reconnect the shock pump its at 0 psi could it be something simple as valve broke??? As lockout works fine

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by grchmason View Post
    Hi Guys

I have a lefty max alloy and everytime i fill with air at the bottom of shock as soon as i disconnect the shock pump it lets all the air out?

The bike is almost new never been used for over a year its a Rize 3 really am lost with this its not my pump as its fine on my wifes bike and the rear shock rp2

Anyone?
    Sounds like you need a new valve core. Try that and see how it goes. Some stick out too far and when the pump is released, the air is allowed to escape. When I had this problem, I had a few different types of valve cores (I got from a tire store) and I tried them all until I found one that fit flush or lower than flush (inside).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by liscio View Post
    So, given the state of my fork, what's the worst that could happen? Should I just suck it up, part out the 2003 rig, and just buy a whole new bike with the latest and greatest component set?
    To save you all the suspense, I decided to stick with my trusty F800.

I'd have to spend quite a bit of money just to buy a near-identical bike today (probably the Flash F2), when I'd rather be moving up. Since I don't view today's frames as much of an upgrade (if at all, considering the non-US build), it was a pretty obvious choice.

I put in the order for a 2012 Lefty Speed PBR alloy (which will undoubtedly shed some weight and gain a lot of performance) with a really good price from the LBS (who basically credited me for the price of the Lefty rebuild earlier this year in addition Cannondale's trade-in discount).

I also got a screaming deal on a new wheelset (2008 Mavic Crossmax), and have a new crankset on the way (2010 Race Face Deus XC). For kicks I also picked up an XT cassette, and a new chain.

I'm still under the price of buying a new bike (which wouldn't be nearly as well spec'ed), and I get to keep a beautiful frame out of the landfill. Yay!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    is there any tool list needed for servicing lefty....

Nor­wegr
    Does anyone have a manual or faq about the Lefty DLR 100 (2004 model) handy?
    Trying to find out how many PSI to put in it.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What top seal cap do I need for my SI Integration headset?

Cannondale SI 1.5-inch Headset on eBay!

Part # ???

Where can I buy one online?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Upgrading to a new lefty! :)

Hi people, was wondering, I have a 2006 Rush and was thinking about upgrading to a 2011 lefty speed carbon XLR, would it be easy as just swapping out the lefties or do i require a new stem?

And after reading the horror story of someone in this forum getting their lefty mangled by their LBS removing it, i was thinking of removing/installing the lefty myslelf instead, is it easy for the lefty to come out/in on my 06 rush?

thanks in advance!

mtbr member

What headset will fit ?

I currently have a Lefty Speed 110 w/DLR on my On-One Scandal and I have used the steerer tube from Project321 and obviously a normal 1.125" headset.

I am now considering getting a frame built with a 1.5" headtube instead of the normal 1.125" and I've read up that the standard bearings from a 1.5" headset don't necessarily fit the normal Lefty steerer tube.

My question is thus, apart from Cannondale, what headset can I get that will fit the Lefty Steerer tube and what stem? Or should I just use a 1.125" headtube to alleviate problems?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Installing an HD208?

Hello, everyone.

I'm looking for some instructions for installing the Outer Race Clip (HD208) in a Lefty DLR. I have looked around for some information but can't find anything other than 'install the clip' which sounds simple enough but the clip is larger than the inside diameter of the fork.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Basic lefty wheel question

sorry, tryingh to delete this one.
    Last edited by 58teeth; 08-18-2011 at 06:44 AM. Reason: replied incorrectly!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Basic lefty wheel installation q

Hi there-

quick question about front wheel installation for the lefty. When installing, should the fixing bolt stop, or, will it keep spinning, but with resistance? Often times I notice the fixing bolt is a teeny bit loose when removing the wheel to put it back on the rack, so, I'm concerned if I'm cross threading or not putting the wheel on correctly.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yes, the bolt should come to a complete stop, ideally at the recommended torque setting. It should not continue spinning at all. Either the hub isn't fully engaged on the spindle, or you have indeed cross threaded the hub and will need a new one. How does the visible thread look? do you see any metal shavings come out of the hub if you give it a knock?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast