Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have a Lefty ELO and would like to change the oil myself to improve / customize dampening. I keep my bearing races clean and greased and it holds air fine but I just can't find a guide for changing the oil. Any sort of rebuild/maintenance information for this shok would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

JT

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Max 140 29er "DIVE"

I had my lbs convert my 2010 max 140 pbr to 29er for me. I have a hand full of rides on it and it just seems to dive to quickly. It seems to be to active. They said they put something in the air chamber, but I'm not sure. I weigh 210lbs riding with gear. Should I be doing something different? A bigger spacer in the air chamber or heavier oil? I wish it felt like my max 130 w/ Heavy spring.

HELP!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I have noticed a bit of this with my PBR

I converted my PBR myself. I added what I calculated to be the correct amount of elastomer material to the air chamber. The lefty still seems a little too plush. I think the sag is roughly correct. I am going to try to use a little more pressure. I only weigh 180 without gear.

Perhaps the air pressures in the manual don't really work. I need to think about this for a bit. I wonder if Craig will chime in.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Can someone help with this query please?

I am fitting a Lefty Spped Fox RLC 110 on my 2005 model Scalpel that had a DLR (as in here). This DLR has a Aluminium spacer ring below the lower headset bearing on the steerer tube.

Must I use this when fitting the Speed Fox RLC? Can't see any reference to it....

Thanks in advance.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking

Spy infiltration here

I've never ridden a Lefty, just gonna say it now; never seen one around here, nor are my LBSs C-dale dealers. But I do have legitimate questions about the Lefty:
    Does it ride the same as a conventional fork?
    And, WHY??
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Take the Lefty MAX 130 apart

Hi everyone!

Im upgrading my airpiston on my MAX 130 and saw when looking down the inside of the fork that one of the races to the needlebearing was 1 cm above the others so I tried to split the innertube from the outer to fix this - with no success.

I removed the snapring under the rubber booth, and tried to pull it apart, didnt work!

How do I do it?

Thanks!

Fredde

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fredde_nu
    Hi everyone!

Im upgrading my airpiston on my MAX 130 and saw when looking down the inside of the fork that one of the races to the needlebearing was 1 cm above the others so I tried to split the innertube from the outer to fix this - with no success.

I removed the snapring under the rubber booth, and tried to pull it apart, didnt work!

How do I do it?

Thanks!

Fredde
    Remove the lockclip, the bussing and the needle-race holder by pushing all the races into the middle.

/Fredde

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have a carbon Lefty SL 110 (2008) which I have bought used, and no idea when the last service was, if any at all. Dont know if it matters to my question, but now you know.

I did a bearing reset according to your reset guide (very nice, thanks ).
    And now a few weeks later, the lockout has a kind of sag, before it really locks completely. It is about 10-15 mm before it locks.

I have an alu lefty which is newly serviced, and feels really nice compared to my carbon lefty. And it locks immediatly, without the sag.
    Im afraid I have dont something wrong perhaps, while resetting til bearings.

I went to my LBS and he said with just testing the fork, that I properly needed a new cartridge. But I would really like to save the 300 dollars it would cost me.

Any ideas?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hello, I have what I think is a Lefty 110 DLR2 from 2009. it has no coil so I assume it's a solo air. Thing is, it only compresses 90 mm. Could it be a Lefty with just this much travel? If so, can it be extended to 110 mm? i've dissasembled it and there are no C spacers. Could bearing migration decrease so much travel? The cartridge says DLR2/-1-012009

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hallo, a couple of questions about the leftys:
    how much is the a/c lenght of:
    - the 2011 Lefty PBR 120
    - the 2011 Lefty Max 140mm
    - the old Lefty Max SPV 140mm

How the SPV rides compared to the PBR solo air and what about its 29er conversion?
    Thanks

FIRENZE rulez !!
    a question :

with bearing migrated a Lefty is shorter than normal

but the travel is shorter too ?

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    a question :

with bearing migrated a Lefty is shorter than normal

but the travel is shorter too ?
    Eli, yes travel is shortened the same amount.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

2002 Lefty DLR Rebuild information wanted

I just picked up a 2002 Jekyll 1000 with a Lefty TI. After reviewing this forum and looking at the Cannondale site. I believe this Lefty is the 2.0 DLR with 100mm travel.
    Can someone correct me if I'm mistaken please.
    I am looking for service docs for this older lefty fork and am hoping someone can direct me to the right location.

Thanks in advance,
    Cgilbert
    Last edited by gilbercal; 04-09-2011 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Help please! I am in the middle of rebuilding my 2009 Lefty Speed Carbon SL OPI SoloAir (wow, that's a mouthfull!). The damper cap (white plastic cap) came unscrewed somehow, and puked the oil all over the inside of the boot, effectively washing all the lube off the bearings. I caught it quick enough that there is no damage.

However, I am struggling with putting the upper/lower back together. My inner bearing race setup appears to be very different from the photos shown here. There is a captive washer type arrangement at the top of the inner races, similar to that found at the bottom of the outer races, and this is preventing me from being able to "slide" the bearings/inner leg into the outer.

There's a lip on the captive washer that will damage or foul the bearing as I try and slide it together. I cannot install that washer after the upper/lower are mated, as it would be much too far down inside the leg cavity for me to reach.

I can't perform these 3 steps:

because of this:

What do I do?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    OK, I found out on my own. Brandon at Cannondale talked me through it. I have to put this puppy together without the retainer, and then fish the damned thing into place 6" down inside the outer.

Wish me luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

'08 DLR2 Lockout Issue / Weeping Oil Question

Good day all, I had the Scalpel in my grade eight science class to demonstrate hydraulics and pneumatics. Low and behold the lock out lever did not function correctly on my 2008 Lefty DLR2. The fork now moves through 1/2 of its travel and then locks out. Even when locked out there is give to the fork. Previously, the lockout would not allow any travel or movement. I brought the bike home tonight only to find oil weeping out of my top seal cap (Part #1020341) next to the shraeder plug on the lower leg assembly. Will filling the bottom of the air piston with 20 cc's of fork oil fix the problem? Or is the issue the oil in the damper unit? I have full access to all Cannondale specific tooling and I am a competent mechanic. It has been a few years since I last tore down Marzocchi Bombers but with all the tools and repair parts, those forks were stupid easy to service. It'll be the first time on a Lefty. I need your help Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Jason, your Lefty is 3 years old and is long overdue for a service. The damper has leaked oil which is bound to happen after that much use. Also, the damper oil has leaked into the bearings and has ruined the grease. The fix - send it to Mendoncyclesmith. Craig will set you up quick for a reasonable charge. I promise, you will not regret this action.
    BTW, I taught 8th grade physical science last year. This year, I am in high school

mtbr member
    I have a Carbon Max with a small split in the boot. I ordered a replacement boot, but i think I bought the wrong one. The item I have is QC678, but I think i should have bought KF222 instead.

Will the QC678 item work with my fork? If not, what is the difference between the two boots? I am assuming length?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

damper misalignment

The issue below has been resolved by 88.

Hi All,

I have a brand new 2011 Lefty Max XLR. I wanted to remove the damper to give the damper to tuning at 88.
    In doing so I noticed that the black top cap (at the top of the upper damper shaft where the split rings are installed) is seriously off centered versus the Lefy outer tube. I need to push the black top cap of the damper side ways aprox 4mm to reach the center line of the Lefty outer tube to be able to get the split rings into the fork and close it... That does not see right to me.. By doing so side force will be put on the damper shaft.

Does anyone know what the reason is for such a misalignemnt and how it could be fixed ?
    Last edited by viktor2; 05-30-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: solved

mtbr member
    The Carbon upper tube on my lefty max has a small chip/scratch on it. When i bought it used, the seller told me he had it checked by a cannondale rep who told him that the damage was not structural and would not affect performance. Is the carbon a structural element of the fork or more of a dressing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Is Cannondale dumping the Lefty?

I'm in the SF Bay area and I've noticed that the largest dealer has fewer C'dales with the lefty. It also seems like C'dale is only putting it on shorter travel bikes.

I hope not...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

2010 Carbon Lefty DLR Lockout

Hey Mendon. Some one posted this earlier and I didn't see a response.

" did a bearing reset according to your reset guide (very nice, thanks ).
    And now a few weeks later, the lockout has a kind of sag, before it really locks completely. It is about 10-15 mm before it locks."

I just did a bearing migration reset with good results, but I'm having the same condition as the above quote.
    The bearing reset was done to correct the lockout sag problem, plus the length of the lefty seemed to be decreased. I don't feel any knocking or sag when the lefty is pushed up and down, It's only when the lockout lever is engaged that the lefty has a sag and slight rebound knock. Your imput is extremely appreciated.

mtbr member
    Ok, total suspension noob here as ive alwAys had rigids. I have a 2009 speed DLR lefty with 80mm of travel. It has only about 200 miles on it and has only been riden by a lightweight rider. I set the sag at 20 percent and im quite happy with how it performs.
    But, there are a couple problems and im OCD about fixing them but have no clue how to go about it. First of all, when it is locked out it gives about 10mm travel. And it seems to have some forward/backward play in it somewhere but im not sure where. I put grease inside the boot recently, but it still feels very slightly rough. What do i need to do? I dont mind working on it myself at all unless its uber complicated.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member

PBR max damping cartridge question

Hi all, I have striped my Lefty in order to replace needle bearings and pitted races. Upon removing the damping cartridge I discovered a trashed O ring trapped under the damping cartridge washer. (See remains in centre of photo). The PBR manual says that the washer should be bonded on with loctite 401 but makes no mention of an O ring in this location. I can only assume an O ring is now used to hold the washer in place and this became trapped and tore when I unscrewed the damping cartridge. I can not see where else the O ring would have come from. Can anyone please confirm my theory?????
    Secondly, the damping cartridge works fine and operates smoothly. While I have it stripped should I open it up and replace the oil or wait until next service? I know cannondale reccomend a full service every 100hrs, but I figure with no leaks and smooth operation maybe I am best to run with it for now. Any thoughts advice much appreciated.
    Oh, Lefty is a 2009 PBR MAX 130mm Alloy.
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-striped-down-2009-130mm-alloy-pbr-max-lefty-1536-x-1152-.jpg  

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-striped-down-2009-130mm-alloy-pbr-max-lefty-1536-x-1152-768-x-576-.jpg  

mnt bike laws of physics
    kiwi, yes I am sure your theory is correct. The o-ring would serve no other purpose at all. I think using something like locktite to keep the washer in place would be better. I took my o-ring out and all is well.

As far as changing out the oil - do you have an oil cap remover?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast