Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The regular adapters for 'normal' forks won't work as far as I know.

I've searched most of the well known Cannondale specific shops online and could not find, or even the mention of a 203mm adapter for the Supermax.

There is nothing in any of the official Supermax owner manuals about a 203mm adapter, only 180mm is listed

Eventually I gave up looking and kept the 180mm.

The only place that did turn up something was from the Project 321 website, but again it is only mentioned and not an actual item listed for sale with a part number, price or even a picture.

I'd say your best bet is to ask them about it. Have a look here at the features section, its the last item listed.

PROJECT 321 | Products: Cannondale 2015 Carbon SuperMax Lefty 650b
    The names have been changed to protect the innocent...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r34 gtr View Post
    Hi - what does everyone use to flush their lefty 2.0 other then RSP flush?
    I use shimano degreaser

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    One more lefty 2.0 question - do I need to put any oil in the lower leg where the 2spring is or just grease?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi - what does everyone use to flush their lefty 2.0 other then RSP flush?

Thanks Steve
    Cannondale's tech videos indicate to use isopropyl alcohol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    One more lefty 2.0 question - do I need to put any oil in the lower leg where the 2spring is or just grease?

Thanks
    No oil in there. Coat the o rings with something like slick honey, and I lubricate the air spring seal and upper air piston inner seals with a little Phil's Tenacious oil. Torque your damper back in to 27nm / 20 ft lb. add 10cc of 20wt suspension fluid or float fluid, and carry on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks 👍

mtbr member
    My first lefty(xlr 2.0 100mm) , my first problem. After 300 Km riding fork started bottom out at 7 cm travel. The air pressure in the air chamber is the same as it should be. What's the problem?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dreicha View Post
    My first lefty(xlr 2.0 100mm) , my first problem. After 300 Km riding fork started bottom out at 7 cm travel. The air pressure in the air chamber is the same as it should be. What's the problem?
    Have you done a bearing reset?

Bike upside down. Shockpump on. Note the pressure (if you like it). Let all the air out. Remove pump. Bike rubber side down. Compress fork hard + fast until it bottoms out. Repeat a few times.

Bike upside down again. Travel should now be back to 100mm. Air fork back up again.

If this solves your issue, consider letting a bit of pressure out so that you can bottom Lefty out during a ride, removing the need to do it manually.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dreicha View Post
    What Howards said - also could be broken air spring wavy washer. There's a mandatory upgrade/recall going on for these forks to install a new design air spring, should be free of charge, or relatively inexpensive. If you don't have the "2 spring" logo sticker on the front of your fork, then you should get the upgrade done.

mtbr member
    Thanks, it worked. It took 1 minute to reset

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Happy days

mtbr member

Slight sag in Lefty Supermax 2.0

Hey guys, I have a 2015 lefty Supermax 140mm that seem to have about a 10mm sag without me even sitting on the bike almost feel like a floating point before the fork engages. If I lift the bike the sag goes away... the bike is a 2015 Trigger carbon 2.

Wave spring replaced, solo air o-rings replaced, bumpers replaced... not sure what can cause this.
    Any input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd do a manual bearing reset first. You said the wave washer was replaced, but if you don't have the new 2 Spring, have that done, while the shop is in there they can take another look at it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    I'd do a manual bearing reset first. You said the wave washer was replaced, but if you don't have the new 2 Spring, have that done, while the shop is in there they can take another look at it.
    Thanks for the quick response. I did the bearing reset and the fork behaved the same. Thinking of sending it in to have the 2Spring installed and hopefully that will solve the issue.I'm thinking there could be something else that may be causing that behavior.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hello all
    I am strongly considering installing a supermax 160 27.5" on my old 26" jekyll, however I would absolutely need to lower the travel to 150mm to keep the front down.
    I know the travel isn't adjustable officially, but would it be possible with internal modifications?
    How does the positive-negative air chamber balancing works? It's a channle on the inside of the stanchion like in some rock shox forks or are there two valves?
    If I lower the fork, could it cause problems to the hydraulic cartridge?
    Could it cause issues during regular maintenance procedures?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by romphaia View Post
    Hello all
    I am strongly considering installing a supermax 160 27.5" on my old 26" jekyll, however I would absolutely need to lower the travel to 150mm to keep the front down.
    I know the travel isn't adjustable officially, but would it be possible with internal modifications?
    How does the positive-negative air chamber balancing works? It's a channle on the inside of the stanchion like in some rock shox forks or are there two valves?
    Hi there from what I know the damper cartridge determines the usable travel for the bike for e.g. my Trigger can go up to 160mm in total travel because it has the physical stantion length but the damper installed is a 140 damper. Others can chime in if this is not the case.
    There is a solo air assembly at the end of the damper that balances the positive and negative air in the chamber.
    Consider also that that fork may change the bike's geometry and ride characteristics. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by estyjam@gmail.com View Post
    There is a solo air assembly at the end of the damper that balances the positive and negative air in the chamber.
    So that means there's a groove in the inner stanchion to allow air pressure to equalize at full extension?

Looking at the exploded view in the manual, it looks like it could be a matter of just adding a spacer between the upper seal head and the damping cartridge, and modifying or remaking the air piston (shortening it) to compensate and keep the seal at the correct height to keep the solo air working.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Super helpful thread! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hello all
    I also have a Lefty I was thinking of reducing the axle to crown dimension. Does any one know how the negative side is charged? If I add another top out bumper or get a longer upper air seal it may not let air get to the other side of the piston.

mtbr member
    So that means there's a groove in the inner stanchion to allow air pressure to equalize at full extension?

Looking at the exploded view in the manual, it looks like it could be a matter of just adding a spacer between the upper seal head and the damping cartridge, and modifying or remaking the air piston (shortening it) to compensate and keep the seal at the correct height to keep the solo air working.
    It's not a groove in the stanchion, the solo air valve opens when the air piston tops out on the bumber.
    You can reduce the travel by simply adding a spacer between the cartridge and the upper air seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrexman View Post
    I also have a Lefty I was thinking of reducing the axle to crown dimension. Does any one know how the negative side is charged? If I add another top out bumper or get a longer upper air seal it may not let air get to the other side of the piston.

mtbr member

To make the fork shorter you need a longer upper air seal. Your travel will be reduced based on the additional length of the upper air seal.

Attachment 1104642

To reduce the travel only, you need to add travel spacers at the top of the damper shaft above the damper cartridge.

I do not see how the balancing of the positive/negative air chamber will be affected by any of these modifications.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    To make the fork shorter you need a longer upper air seal. Your travel will be reduced based on the additional length of the upper air seal.

Attachment 1104642

To reduce the travel only, you need to add travel spacers at the top of the damper shaft above the damper cartridge.

I do not see how the balancing of the positive/negative air chamber will be affected by any of these modifications.
    I can't see your attachment, however I understand what you're saying.
    I would use the fork with a 26" wheel, so the best would be to decrease the axle to crown by 10mm while keeping 160mm of travel, which means to allow the fork to compress 10mm more than normal... from what I understand, if I could move the silver collar down the cartridge by that amount (if it's even possible) I would obtain just that, but would the stanchion slide 100m further inside? Is the bottom-out bumper the one just under the top cap? Probably the square sides of the stanchion aren't just long enough...

mtbr member
    I can't see your attachment, however I understand what you're saying.
    I would use the fork with a 26" wheel, so the best would be to decrease the axle to crown by 10mm while keeping 160mm of travel, which means to allow the fork to compress 10mm more than normal... from what I understand, if I could move the silver collar down the cartridge by that amount (if it's even possible) I would obtain just that, but would the stanchion slide 100m further inside? Is the bottom-out bumper the one just under the top cap? Probably the square sides of the stanchion aren't just long enough...

With the 160mm damper that is in the fork, if you reduce the ride height you will also reduce the travel. By installing the longer upper air seal to reduce height, you are pulling the damper shaft further down into the fork's stantion... less travel!

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-damper-parts-160.png

Remember the damper cartridge is bolted onto the top of the stantion so your travel is the amount by which the damper shaft can slide into the damper before bottoming out as seen in the diagram. And yes the bottom out bumper is below the top cap.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hope this helps!
    Perfectly clear, thank you.
    I was also considering to move the threaded sleeve on the damper cartridge up by 10mm, that would shorten the fork without alter the travel, but I don't know it the stanchion can slide 10mm further inside. The square sides of the stanchion might not be long enough.

mtbr member
    What is the difference between XC+ tune damper and Trail+ tune damper ?

mtbr member
    would not screwing the cartridge all the way result in the same behavior? I just had the 2S spring recall and lost 20mm or travel. I can see the top of the cartridge "castle" nut. Before I couldn't see that. Leads me think that the shop has not fully threaded the cartridge into the lefty top housing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rcko View Post
    would not screwing the cartridge all the way result in the same behavior? I just had the 2S spring recall and lost 20mm or travel. I can see the top of the cartridge "castle" nut. Before I couldn't see that. Leads me think that the shop has not fully threaded the cartridge into the lefty top housing.
    Typically it's not hard to see the top of the cartridge if you have your upper collar off - remember that fork position moves the cartridge up and down with the inner fork leg. If you compress the fork completely, the cartridge is only ~4 inches below the top of the fork. If you have lost nearly an inch of travel, I'd first follow the appropriate steps for a manual bearing reset, and make sure you have the proper measurement of stanchion for your particular fork. If that doesn't fix it, or you can't get to the proper measurement with the reset - take the fork back in for them to look at.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    If I have a head tube that is ~115mm and a lefty supermax fork with clamp spacing of 134mm, can I make this work? Is it a matter of spacers? Or would this not be recommended?
    Thanks?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BJG718 View Post
    If I have a head tube that is ~115mm and a lefty supermax fork with clamp spacing of 134mm, can I make this work? Is it a matter of spacers? Or would this not be recommended?
    Thanks?
    Depending on your frame - typically just a spacer solution. That's how the cannondale "Lefty for all" conversion system works, and I think that's how Project 321 handles it as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks?
    check your total stack height (headtube + complete headset), if it's less then 137mm you can make it work with just some spacers, no problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    check your total stack height (headtube + complete headset), if it's less then 137mm you can make it work with just some spacers, no problem.
    It'd be a Tallboy 3. I'm not sure I'd be concerned that the fork is too small... more concerned that clamp spacing would be too big. Cannondale's headtube size is larger than a comparably sized Santa Cruz, I believe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It'd be a Tallboy 3. I'm not sure I'd be concerned that the fork is too small... more concerned that clamp spacing would be too big. Cannondale's headtube size is larger than a comparably sized Santa Cruz, I believe.
    Looking at SC's site for the Tallboy3 - headtube length is 100mm for a Med/Lg and uses a Cane Creek IS41 upper headset which adds ~9mm of stack height. Bottom is an IS52 which CC says is a 1mm stack height. So - you're at ~110mm total stack height. Rest will need spacers to take up the difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcko View Post

turned out that mechanic installed a spacer to reduce the travel after misunderstanding my sag mark request.

Spacer removed and now travel is normal.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415