Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If aired up properly, and still sinking and sticking, you need the new air piston everyone's buzzing about...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not if it is a DLR. Although there wasn't a 2000 model as stated - I was assuming he meant 2010.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    No I think it's 2000 off a Raven 900sx

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdp3612 View Post
    No I think it's 2000 off a Raven 900sx
    Wow - you got me there. That was 1st gen stuff. For some reason I had 2002 in my head for the first of the Leftys. You can find a owner's supplement here: https://www.eighty-aid.com/sites/def...ement_en_0.pdf

Air pressure chart is in there - but 100-120 psi is about right for 140-165lb rider - if you put tha much air in and it isn't better, it needs a service, or talk to MendonCycleSmith about rebuild possibility.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Ok another question, my understanding there's a tool kit the fits in the stearing tube of the lefty. The shocks got air in it now to see if it holds overnight

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That tool was called the Lefty HeadWrench tool kit. Discontinued now - but you can find them on amazon or ebay. Retail was about $40. These fit the older leftys with the plastic top cap, like you believe you have.

Cannondale Head Wrench Tool Kit for Lefty Shock Fork SI | eBay

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Back for more answers....
    I have a Jekyll with 1.5 headtube (26er)
    And a Trigger with SI headtube (27.5)
    So the Jekyll has the KP119 bearings?
    And the Trigger has the headshok 169 bearings?
    Are the bearings the same size (397508rs)?
    And is the difference the split ring?
    They both came with 1.5 forks and I put a Supermax on both. Took out the split ring added the seal on top of the bearings.
    Both had play in the headtube? So I used a second seal on the bottom. Seems OK. But I am not sure if the play was from the steerer being loose inside the bearing or from space between the clamps. I am using the proper steerer length on each frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    But I am not sure if the play was from the steerer being loose inside the bearing or from space between the clamps.
    tl;dr: Unless you change the bearings to headshok 1.56" what you are doing will not work.

Explanation:

I think the key here is the inner diameter of the headset bearings (ID).

As I understand it here you have two frames that have shipped with 1.5" steerer forks and an a-head headset. You've removed the 1.5" fork and its place you've put a supermax steerer, top seal (+bottom?) and lefty supermax.

This will not work. With a-head the bearing ID is greater than the D of the steerer - quite a bit greater. It's the split ring and crown race that 'press' in to the bearing, and they press in to an angled surface to achieve pre-load.

With headshok the steerer is press fit in to the bearing and sits on the inner surface. The bearing ID for Headshok is 1.56"", the diameter of the steerer is probably 1.568 or something, to achieve a tight interference fit and pre-load.

So - the only bearing ID that will work with the supermax steerer - assuming that's what you are using - is 1.56"

I suspect that the 1.5" a-head bearing ID is actually larger than 1.56", meaning you won't get the interference fit you need with the steerer. That's where the play is.

Measure the ID of your bearings. If it aint 1.56", and if you didn't have to hammer the steerer in, it's not going to work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The bottom bearing is tight. It is the top I am unsure of. And yes I need to buy some digital calipers. I have an extra steerer and bearings. And checked that the 397508rs is the right size, tight fit on the upperpart of the steerer. Installing the extra seal is a bit of a chore and did not want to take it apart unless I had the right bearings. I think I do so I will just take it to the shop as I dont have a press anyway. But thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I bought a 2011 Cannondale Flash29 a month ago. Last night I removed the Volume Reducer. I rode this morning and I'm really impressed on how the fork feels now. Very nice on small bumps. I'm a rookie at this, but before it sometimes felt like that suspension wasn't reacting (I had about 85PSI in). I'm hovering between 140-150 (probably more 145 now) and I went with 150PSI. At 140 PSI I could feel it bottom out jumping from a curb and forcing it down. Very cool mod !

Those this mod affect anything related to bearing migration (doing it on longer intervals or shorter!?)

Quick question; is there a way to change the angle/tilt on a SAVE seatpost ?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    http://www.bicycleretailer.com/sites...N%20090116.pdf

Looks like some mandatory update for lefty's since 2014 to now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelzqc View Post
    I bought a 2011 Cannondale Flash29 a month ago. Last night I removed the Volume Reducer. I rode this morning and I'm really impressed on how the fork feels now. Very nice on small bumps. I'm a rookie at this, but before it sometimes felt like that suspension wasn't reacting (I had about 85PSI in). I'm hovering between 140-150 (probably more 145 now) and I went with 150PSI. At 140 PSI I could feel it bottom out jumping from a curb and forcing it down. Very cool mod !

Those this mod affect anything related to bearing migration (doing it on longer intervals or shorter!?)

Quick question; is there a way to change the angle/tilt on a SAVE seatpost ?
    Removing the volume reducers shouldn't accelerate the bearing migration really. Same reset procedure as usual.

The Save Seatpost is adjustable -some models have 2 bolts accessible through the bottom of the seat clamp, and some have the rear bolt accessible from below, and once loose there is a knob/dial attached to the front bolt that you can turn by hand to adjust the angle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks for the answer. I only see one bolt and it's on the side to loosen the clamp that goes on the rails

like this picture The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-kp124grn-2.jpg

Am I really not seeing that other bolt ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Interesting - I have never seen a Cannondale Save seatpost that uses that type of clamp. Looks like this was from back a few years on the Taurine frames. I always call this one the "bontrager" style, although they're not the only one that uses it.

The bolt in this case is a through bolt, tightening into the opposite side rail retention clamp. As you loosen this bolt, it releases pressure on the whole assembly and allows it to rotate inside the head of the post. The inside rail guides usually are conical and might be "frozen" in place. Sometimes you have to disassemble everything to free them up and allow rotation.

What bike did that come on?

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-bontrager-single-bolt-rotary-head-seatpost-parts-kit-ev159297-9999-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks again for the reply. It came on a 2011 Cannondale Flash29 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    What kind/version of lefty is this? Is this affected by the 2Spring Solo Air upgrade/recall?
    I believe this is original to my 2008 Caffeine F29.
    Last edited by Chedeng88; 1 Day Ago at 11:06 AM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Speed DLR2.

Could be Solo Air, could not, be it, too.

Regardless, it can be updated to Solo Air, so, it can accept 2Spring.

It is outside the stated date range, so it'd be a game day decision based on who you deal with.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Speed DLR2.

Could be Solo Air, could not, be it, too.

Regardless, it can be updated to Solo Air, so, it can accept 2Spring.

It is outside the stated date range, so it'd be a game day decision based on who you deal with.
    I had my carbon lefty (SL, 110mm travel on 26", 2008 model) rebuilt in the fall of 2015 with the new, updated internals. I'm guessing that I'd need this new 2spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    On a 2012 era PBR fork, is the steerer a straight 1.5"?

I know the 2.0 steerer is stepped out to 1.56" at the clamp.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illMATTic View Post
    On a 2012 era PBR fork, is the steerer a straight 1.5"?

I know the 2.0 steerer is stepped out to 1.56" at the clamp.

Thanks,
    older steerers are straight 1.56"... the new 2.0 or supermax ones are stepped down to 1.5" in the stem clamp area to fit standard 1.5" stems

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Anyone riding the new 2spring? I am sure it is great upgrade. So this is a free service to us Lefty users?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi i got my Lefty Hybrid back from Service and take a ride.it feel much more softer then bevor.Now i can use more travel without to reduce the Airpressure.So it is was a very good idea from Cannondale.

o27
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Have gotten it as a free service as Well. Have been on a ride with it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314