Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If aired up properly, and still sinking and sticking, you need the new air piston everyone's buzzing about...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not if it is a DLR. Although there wasn't a 2000 model as stated - I was assuming he meant 2010.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    No I think it's 2000 off a Raven 900sx

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdp3612 View Post
    No I think it's 2000 off a Raven 900sx
    Wow - you got me there. That was 1st gen stuff. For some reason I had 2002 in my head for the first of the Leftys. You can find a owner's supplement here: https://www.eighty-aid.com/sites/def...ement_en_0.pdf

Air pressure chart is in there - but 100-120 psi is about right for 140-165lb rider - if you put tha much air in and it isn't better, it needs a service, or talk to MendonCycleSmith about rebuild possibility.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Ok another question, my understanding there's a tool kit the fits in the stearing tube of the lefty. The shocks got air in it now to see if it holds overnight

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That tool was called the Lefty HeadWrench tool kit. Discontinued now - but you can find them on amazon or ebay. Retail was about $40. These fit the older leftys with the plastic top cap, like you believe you have.

Cannondale Head Wrench Tool Kit for Lefty Shock Fork SI | eBay

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Back for more answers....
    I have a Jekyll with 1.5 headtube (26er)
    And a Trigger with SI headtube (27.5)
    So the Jekyll has the KP119 bearings?
    And the Trigger has the headshok 169 bearings?
    Are the bearings the same size (397508rs)?
    And is the difference the split ring?
    They both came with 1.5 forks and I put a Supermax on both. Took out the split ring added the seal on top of the bearings.
    Both had play in the headtube? So I used a second seal on the bottom. Seems OK. But I am not sure if the play was from the steerer being loose inside the bearing or from space between the clamps. I am using the proper steerer length on each frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    But I am not sure if the play was from the steerer being loose inside the bearing or from space between the clamps.
    tl;dr: Unless you change the bearings to headshok 1.56" what you are doing will not work.

Explanation:

I think the key here is the inner diameter of the headset bearings (ID).

As I understand it here you have two frames that have shipped with 1.5" steerer forks and an a-head headset. You've removed the 1.5" fork and its place you've put a supermax steerer, top seal (+bottom?) and lefty supermax.

This will not work. With a-head the bearing ID is greater than the D of the steerer - quite a bit greater. It's the split ring and crown race that 'press' in to the bearing, and they press in to an angled surface to achieve pre-load.

With headshok the steerer is press fit in to the bearing and sits on the inner surface. The bearing ID for Headshok is 1.56"", the diameter of the steerer is probably 1.568 or something, to achieve a tight interference fit and pre-load.

So - the only bearing ID that will work with the supermax steerer - assuming that's what you are using - is 1.56"

I suspect that the 1.5" a-head bearing ID is actually larger than 1.56", meaning you won't get the interference fit you need with the steerer. That's where the play is.

Measure the ID of your bearings. If it aint 1.56", and if you didn't have to hammer the steerer in, it's not going to work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The bottom bearing is tight. It is the top I am unsure of. And yes I need to buy some digital calipers. I have an extra steerer and bearings. And checked that the 397508rs is the right size, tight fit on the upperpart of the steerer. Installing the extra seal is a bit of a chore and did not want to take it apart unless I had the right bearings. I think I do so I will just take it to the shop as I dont have a press anyway. But thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I bought a 2011 Cannondale Flash29 a month ago. Last night I removed the Volume Reducer. I rode this morning and I'm really impressed on how the fork feels now. Very nice on small bumps. I'm a rookie at this, but before it sometimes felt like that suspension wasn't reacting (I had about 85PSI in). I'm hovering between 140-150 (probably more 145 now) and I went with 150PSI. At 140 PSI I could feel it bottom out jumping from a curb and forcing it down. Very cool mod !

Those this mod affect anything related to bearing migration (doing it on longer intervals or shorter!?)

Quick question; is there a way to change the angle/tilt on a SAVE seatpost ?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    http://www.bicycleretailer.com/sites...N%20090116.pdf

Looks like some mandatory update for lefty's since 2014 to now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelzqc View Post
    I bought a 2011 Cannondale Flash29 a month ago. Last night I removed the Volume Reducer. I rode this morning and I'm really impressed on how the fork feels now. Very nice on small bumps. I'm a rookie at this, but before it sometimes felt like that suspension wasn't reacting (I had about 85PSI in). I'm hovering between 140-150 (probably more 145 now) and I went with 150PSI. At 140 PSI I could feel it bottom out jumping from a curb and forcing it down. Very cool mod !

Those this mod affect anything related to bearing migration (doing it on longer intervals or shorter!?)

Quick question; is there a way to change the angle/tilt on a SAVE seatpost ?
    Removing the volume reducers shouldn't accelerate the bearing migration really. Same reset procedure as usual.

The Save Seatpost is adjustable -some models have 2 bolts accessible through the bottom of the seat clamp, and some have the rear bolt accessible from below, and once loose there is a knob/dial attached to the front bolt that you can turn by hand to adjust the angle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks for the answer. I only see one bolt and it's on the side to loosen the clamp that goes on the rails

like this picture The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-kp124grn-2.jpg

Am I really not seeing that other bolt ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Interesting - I have never seen a Cannondale Save seatpost that uses that type of clamp. Looks like this was from back a few years on the Taurine frames. I always call this one the "bontrager" style, although they're not the only one that uses it.

The bolt in this case is a through bolt, tightening into the opposite side rail retention clamp. As you loosen this bolt, it releases pressure on the whole assembly and allows it to rotate inside the head of the post. The inside rail guides usually are conical and might be "frozen" in place. Sometimes you have to disassemble everything to free them up and allow rotation.

What bike did that come on?

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-bontrager-single-bolt-rotary-head-seatpost-parts-kit-ev159297-9999-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks again for the reply. It came on a 2011 Cannondale Flash29 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    What kind/version of lefty is this? Is this affected by the 2Spring Solo Air upgrade/recall?
    I believe this is original to my 2008 Caffeine F29.
    Last edited by Chedeng88; 09-28-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Speed DLR2.

Could be Solo Air, could not, be it, too.

Regardless, it can be updated to Solo Air, so, it can accept 2Spring.

It is outside the stated date range, so it'd be a game day decision based on who you deal with.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Speed DLR2.

Could be Solo Air, could not, be it, too.

Regardless, it can be updated to Solo Air, so, it can accept 2Spring.

It is outside the stated date range, so it'd be a game day decision based on who you deal with.
    I had my carbon lefty (SL, 110mm travel on 26", 2008 model) rebuilt in the fall of 2015 with the new, updated internals. I'm guessing that I'd need this new 2spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    On a 2012 era PBR fork, is the steerer a straight 1.5"?

I know the 2.0 steerer is stepped out to 1.56" at the clamp.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illMATTic View Post
    On a 2012 era PBR fork, is the steerer a straight 1.5"?

I know the 2.0 steerer is stepped out to 1.56" at the clamp.

Thanks,
    older steerers are straight 1.56"... the new 2.0 or supermax ones are stepped down to 1.5" in the stem clamp area to fit standard 1.5" stems

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Anyone riding the new 2spring? I am sure it is great upgrade. So this is a free service to us Lefty users?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi i got my Lefty Hybrid back from Service and take a ride.it feel much more softer then bevor.Now i can use more travel without to reduce the Airpressure.So it is was a very good idea from Cannondale.

o27
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc

Have gotten it as a free service as Well. Have not been on a ride with it yet
    Last edited by o27; 09-30-2016 at 06:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Could anyone help me regarding a Lefty Max 140?
    Currently rebuilding my old Cannondale Prophet (size Medium) and looking for a Lefty Max Carbon 140mm (to convert to PBR).
    Does anyone know if a Lefty removed from a small Prophet will fit my frame? Are all the Lefty Max identical regarding crowns distance?

Best,
    Nuno

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Over-x View Post
    Could anyone help me regarding a Lefty Max 140?
    Currently rebuilding my old Cannondale Prophet (size Medium) and looking for a Lefty Max Carbon 140mm (to convert to PBR).
    Does anyone know if a Lefty removed from a small Prophet will fit my frame? Are all the Lefty Max identical regarding crowns distance?

Best,
    Nuno
    Prophet frames were Headshok compatible standard - should be same size across all sizes - looks like 134.6mm height. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5yovqA&cad=rja

Yup, that generation, clamp spacing was equal across all sizes.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Morning all. New to the thread but hoping you can help. Would someone be able to explain to me please the difference between the Lefty Supermax 1.0 and the Supermax 2.0? Thanks. Simon

Simplistically, the diameter of the damper shaft.

The dampers are different, the marketing monkeys would have you think they reinvented gravity or something though....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thinking of buying a used 2015 FSi with lefty 2.0. Do you know if you have to be the original owner for a free upgrade to the 2spring?

That shouldn't be a problem, but worth asking at your local shop first.

This is more of a "Cannondale" thing, than a original owner warranty, thing....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    So I have a 2015 jekyll carbon 2,the shop I purchased it at told me it was "impossible" to update my lefty to the 2 spring. I told them Cannondale emailed me to get it done and now they will not call me back about it. I don't know how people like this expect to stay in business.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My LBS said they'd remove and send my lefty off for me for £20 no bother but asked if I was original owner and stipulated that I'd have to bring proof of purchase.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Shop to shop may vary, as will your experience based on your relationship with said dealer.

thx: find a new shop, those folks can't think their way out of a paper bag, yikes.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Shop to shop may vary, as will your experience based on your relationship with said dealer.

thx: find a new shop, those folks can't think their way out of a paper bag, yikes.
    I know, the shop manager and mechanic that I dealt with are both now gone and no one else there seems to know what's going on. I when to another shop and scheduled them to do it once the part is available later this month. I just need to get the tools to do the basic service on the fork myself. When I asked about the tools no one there that day could even check to see if the part numbers I had were available or not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thx138 View Post
    I know, the shop manager and mechanic that I dealt with are both now gone and no one else there seems to know what's going on. I when to another shop and scheduled them to do it once the part is available later this month. I just need to get the tools to do the basic service on the fork myself. When I asked about the tools no one there that day could even check to see if the part numbers I had were available or not.

Yep - you need a different shop. The Supermax 2.0 on your '15 model is definitely part of the 2spring upgrade for SoloAir forks.

There's really not a ton of basic maintenance that needs to be done that requires tools - but KH198 is the correct tool to remove the damper, and you'll need a 36mm 6 point socket to take the top cap off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Yep - you need a different shop. The Supermax 2.0 on your '15 model is definitely part of the 2spring upgrade for SoloAir forks.

There's really not a ton of basic maintenance that needs to be done that requires tools - but KH198 is the correct tool to remove the damper, and you'll need a 36mm 6 point socket to take the top cap off.
    I ask for that part number Kh198 and was told by them it was not a valid part number, I also ask for Kh135 and was told it was out of stock. I will get the other shop I've been talking with to get the parts for me, if they can't I'm sure someone eventually will be able to help me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thx138 View Post
    I ask for that part number Kh198 and was told by them it was not a valid part number, I also ask for Kh135 and was told it was out of stock. I will get the other shop I've been talking with to get the parts for me, if they can't I'm sure someone eventually will be able to help me.

I ordered one 2 weeks ago - so I know that they have them. I had the same problem with KH198 not showing up on the dealer website. My inside rep told me how to look part numbers up straight from an active shopping cart page, and the part number has to be entered as KH198/ . KH135/ is the same way. I have both sitting in a cart right now, showing in stock, ready to order.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I have a boot style lefty from 2011 (29er), is there a way I can check the bearings ?

I have something weird happening, in the sense that I don't think it was like that a month ago; There's a rough, notchy, feeling to the fork. Let's say I unscrew the top to do a reset, I can feel and hear the fork not moving without any restriction. Sort of like notchy or ripples. Maybe not the bearings, but any tricks to help me analyzing this ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Here's a quick video I made, nothing fancy but I wanted to show the sound. If it can help someone tip me.
    https://youtu.be/lQUMnfbaetg

And
    https://youtu.be/rL-bAUnxljc

Sounds like a fork that needs to be torn down.

Something funky in there, broken bearing cage, out of place race clip, something.

Get it serviced, if it was done very recently speak with whomever did it....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Is there any manual/video how to install two spring valve?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have a regular non boot lefty fork and am interested in a superlefty hubed wheel.

Is there an adapter for it or can it be made? How?

thanks,
    Edwin

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dreicha View Post
    Is there any manual/video how to install two spring valve?
    The 2 spring upgrade is supposed to only be performed by an authorized dealer/service center, so no, none of the factory tech videos are out there in the public domain.

Although - it is basically just servicing the air piston/valve assembly and there are plenty of how-to's out there for how to get to the assembly and rebuild.

You'd need the 2 spring upgrade kit though, which to my knowledge are only shipping to dealers. Are shops already selling these things online?

mtbr member
    Normally not anymore.
    Even you should use the r.s.p. lefty-kit to clean and lubricate the needle bearings after installing the 2spring kit.
    For sale:
    - CHRIS KING hub iso Lefty LD disc (Cannondale)

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hi everyone, long time lurker first post here. Just wanted to know if anybody know what adapter is needed to run a 203mm rotor on a Lefty Supermax. My local cannondale dealer told me I needed a Magura QM 42 which basically is the same as Shimano 203 adapter. I got it but it does not work. The brake pads only grab like 4mm of the disc.

Anyway I hope somebody knows what`s needed to install a 203mm rotor.

mtbr member
    you need a +23mm adapter.

Shimano ESMMAF203PPM or (xtr level) ISMMA90F203PPM

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    you need a +23mm adapter.

Shimano ESMMAF203PPM or (xtr level) ISMMA90F203PPM

Bingo, thank you very much, I purchased a shimano PM/PM 203 adapter, it does not work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatag View Post
    Bingo, thank you very much, I purchased a shimano PM/PM 203 adapter, it does not work.
    you probably got a 160 to 203 adapter, while you need a 180 to 203 one.

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-shimano-adapter-za-disk-zavore-_573c36746d0c7.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    you probably got a 160 to 203 adapter, while you need a 180 to 203 one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shimano-adapter-za-disk-zavore-_573c36746d0c7.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	1101660
    that was exactly what happened. When I talked to the person via e-mail I said "I need an adaptor to use a 203mm rotor on a Lefty Supermax 160" I was the dumb one because I thought it was an important factor the travel of the fork, but of course the person saw the 160 as the diameter of the disc I was going to replace,

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi - what does everyone use to flush their lefty 2.0 other then RSP flush?

Thanks Steve