Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i used a piece of PVC pipe to drive the steerer on my 03 rize with a lefty max, worked fine

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

latest lefty treatment

Here is my latest lefty recipient. A trek sawyer with a lefty speed dlr 2, running a nuvinci hub, running 29er+ nards, with juicy 7 hydros.

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-sawyer-29-.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sorry double post
    Last edited by d@vid; 07-29-2013 at 05:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hi everyone

I have a brand new 2013 lefty and it leaked quite a bit of oil through the schrader valve when I let some air out to set the sag, is this normal?

Thanks
    David
    Last edited by d@vid; 07-29-2013 at 07:09 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    if it's just a drop of oil, that's ok

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Guys I need your help and advice I'm thinking of replacing my Lefty MAX with FFD daper (I think it's 2008. model) with Rock Shox Sektor (150mm travel, Dual Position Coil 120-150 and Motion Control damper). But I'm really unsure abouth this movement, will this be upgrade or downgrade
    Oh I forgot, bike is Prophet and I'm going to use this headset reducer SIXPACK - Steuersatz Kingpin-R 1.5"-kingpinR

P.S. Is this thread OK for such question or I should open new thread?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mate View Post
    Guys I need your help and advice I'm thinking of replacing my Lefty MAX with FFD daper (I think it's 2008. model) with Rock Shox Sektor (150mm travel, Dual Position Coil 120-150 and Motion Control damper). But I'm really unsure abouth this movement, will this be upgrade or downgrade
    Oh I forgot, bike is Prophet and I'm going to use this headset reducer SIXPACK - Steuersatz Kingpin-R 1.5"-kingpinR

P.S. Is this thread OK for such question or I should open new thread
    ?
    Yea I guess it's ok, but your limiting yourself in terms of audience. Only those surfing this thread or subscribed with notifications are going to see it....
    Your best bet is a whole new thread....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thank you Tony, I opened new thread

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey awesome instructional. Just redid the lefty max ffd

I dont know if im an idiot or not. I'm filling it up with oil. which position do i want the rebound rod in? do i leave it in the position its in after tightening the rebound shaft on or pulled all the way up towards the top of the fork, or does it matter? The cannondale guide says around 155cc of oil but I'm getting nowhere near that volume in it. Any help would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi all

Could anybody tell me if the NEW Lefty SUPERMAX PBR 130 would work on a Santa Cruz Tall Boy LTc?

And, if so where would I find a Lefty SUPERMAX PBR 130?

Regards

Otto

mtbr member
    Can anyone tell me if i can convert a LEFTY 29'ER PBR @90mm stock travel to 100mm for a 29er frame and even longer ,100mm+ travel for 26" use ?

Many thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If it's NOT a 2013 hybrid one (so: If it's a 2010-2012 one) you can. Up to 110 mm for 29er or 140mm for 26er. There is a thread about how to do it: 2011 leftys: How to lengthen a 120 to 140?

mtbr member
    Ok thank you - it's a PBR model from a 2012 frame , I'll check that link out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Does anybody know where can I get a rebound part from old TPC damper (cannondale pn is KF217) or maybe advice how can I convert it from SPV assy. I think SPV is the same rebound part plus spv valve, but spv will not work without bladder, so when the spv unit is not too tall, this idea must work. Am I wrong? Missed something?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Lefty Hybrid Service Manual

Hello!

Because of no-reply in European MTB News, I try it in this Forum. To improve performance I want to clean and grease the needle bearing with better grease. So far so good.
    My challange is to demount a Hybrid Lefty XLR. It´s all done but the last step confuse me. I can´t pull away the lower tube from the upper. Is there any secret lock?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-20131116_131249k.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sorry if this question was already asked, but:
    what I need to change damper from dlr2 to pbr in aluminium speed lefty 110?
    pbr damper..., what else?..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just use a wooden stick as a spacer ,place it where the oil cartridge was and hit it hard . the needle bearings will be shown . Also do not touch the needle bearing. I did so and now I have to wait for the new ones that I have ordered.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc

I had my LBS convert my '08 SL110 to 29er travel. I was selling my Scalpel 26er and moving the carbon fork to my Caffeine 29er. I bought a Scalpel 29er last year, so the Caffeine has been ridden once by a friend who is a novice rider. I haven't touched it until I went to ready the Caffeine for winter riding. It is super springy with very little damping. Adjusting rebound and air pressure has little impact; it still rides badly. Did the shop screw something up when they did the 80mm conversion? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-washers%5B1%5D.jpg

Does anyone know where these 2 washers go in the 80 DLR damper.
    It's a mystery to me.

ballbuster

Lefty Max 130, 2008-ish. Quick cheap fix for leaky damper?

Hey all,

I'm wondering how hard it is to change out the seal o-rings in a red PBR damper. It it just taking off the nylon end caps from the damper taking off whatever is at the ends that keep the parts on there, pulling the caps out and sticking new o-rings in there?

I'm finding oil in the bottom of my boot (on more than one of my Leftys) and it seems that damper oil is just leaking out the bottom of the damper. Plus, my PBR lockout isn't nearly as firm as it should be. I'm assuming it's because when the damper oil leaks out, it's sucking in air, which compresses... taking away the firmness of the lockout. Also, seems that the damper rebound knob doesn't do anything anymore.

The LBS Cannondale Dealer doesn't really want to work on them. They just swap out the dampers and charge $150 or so to do it. I know Mendon will service it for $100 or so, and he does a good job. Seems to me that if it's just replacing the o-rings, I should be able to do that. Heck, I've rebuilt Audi engines, lapped valves, replaced seals on my Reba, etc. None of this looks like it would be very hard to do if I just had the right info.

I'm also wondering what the exact sizes of the o-rings might be. I could buy the o-ring kit if I could find the right one, but they are probably just off the shelf o-rings, if I could just find the right specs. I'll bet the local Ace Hardware or auto parts store carries the right sizes for a buck each.

Yeah, I could always send it back to Mendon Cyclesmith (and the guy runs a great shop, BTW) but I really wanna be more self sufficient with this stuff. I do everything else myself. Why not this?

*edit*

Upon further research, it turns out that the damper seals are Parker U-seals 1/2” U-cup #n4180-a80-8404-00500 ... as far as I can tell (but don't quote me on that). I don't know all the dimensions, but it jives that they are designed around a 1/2" shaft (frickin' Cannondale, using SAE sizes). Sounds like something I can get from an industrial supplier if I can find some more specifics. Problem is, I'll bet nobody will sell them to me unless I buy a hundred of them, or something.

Looks kinda like this:

Last edited by pimpbot; 12-25-2013 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    i´ve got a concerning question. the damper is leaking and i want to change the sealings. what tools i need and steps to perform to remove the upper oil cap from piston to change the inner seal?

thanks guys

it´s the white one in the center of the pic - DLR2 Catridge
    The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-img_1810%5B1%5D.jpg
    Last edited by designalized; 01-11-2014 at 04:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    Does anyone know where these 2 washers go in the 80 DLR damper.
    It's a mystery to me.
    looks like shims from the compression or rebound shim stack

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    pimpbot,
    my DC measurements of the seal:
    Name:  0_acb56_f766e3a4_L.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  32.3 KB
    Name:  0_acb57_540196e0_L.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  48.5 KB
    Name:  0_acb58_89ea6acb_L.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  54.6 KB
    Name:  0_acb59_a0afe87a_L.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  53.7 KB
    Name:  0_acb5c_34ae9076_L.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  48.2 KB
    Name:  0_acb5a_eaacc0d8_L.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  50.8 KB
    Name:  0_acb5b_15ab697d_L.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  46.9 KB

A couple of those seals comes as a part of cannondale KH042 seal kit.
    If you want to change them/oil by your own just keep in mind that the seals, wich are the common cause of the leakage, do their job only when put under pressure. So, dont let the air getting into damper assembly when putting it together and make sure you install the pressure spring properly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi, this page has a guideline to replace damper seals of the lefty PBR. Sorry because the page is in portuguese, but the Google Traductor can help!!!

MISTER HEADSHOK: MANUTENÇÃO DO CARTUCHO HIDRAULICO LEFTY PBR

The blog also has guideline for Fatty DL:

MISTER HEADSHOK: MANUTENÇÃO DO CARTUCHO HIDRAULICO HEADSHOK FATTY DL 80

and DLR:
    MISTER HEADSHOK: MANUTENÇÃO DO CARTUCHO HIDRÁULICO HEADSHOK FATTY DLR 80

I hope that helps
    Last edited by Kndle; 01-14-2014 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    This Parker catalog has the exact size of the seal and its part number in the page 182-line 4
    http://www.parker.com/literature/Eng...stems/5370.pdf
    Last edited by Kndle; 01-14-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast