Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Can anyone tell me how I can check the age of my damper? I just bought a Lefty Max PBR 130 from 2009. It was sent back to cannondale and supposedly the installed a new PBR damper. I'd like to know if I can play with the progressivity and low speed damping like they say you can here: Cannondale Lefty Ultra Carbon W/PBR Fork Review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi all,

After years of lurking and dipping in and out of mtbr for help and guidance the time has come to step out of the shadows. I'm now (as of today) the very proud owner of a CD Jekyll with the ubiquitous Lefty, in reality i'm the proud owner of a Lefty with a bike attached, atm, though i'm sure once its all up and running i'll be the afore mentioned.

I had previously (and still do) a Whyte JW-2, similar to the PRST-1 but lower specc'd as standard, so i'm a bit of self confessed nut of all things weird and wonderful in the mtb world! I've always admired the Lefty and HAD to have one. Saw one in the free-ads and took a punt, it was frickin miles away so i did what any self respecting man would do with his hard earned cash and bought it over the phone having only asked the bare minimum of information, needs must and all.

I got it for a good price on the basis that the fork needed a service. I've scoured the net and managed to glean the following: its an OSS100 model DLR, i believe to be a 2000 model, though its difficult to get accurate drawings to identify from and there doesn't appear tp be much useful info on the bike, i can post pics (i think) if anyone is still reading this.

I'm an engineer by trade, specifically a design engineer, whilst i do spend most of my time at a computer i do get my hands dirty and have what i would consider to be a high level of mechanical aptitude, plus access to all kinds of fun toys for making bits/tools as needed.

Every link i've found to 'service manuals' for a lefty have taken me to the Cd website and a dead link, the old guy in overalls (who i'm guessing is Gerd Schraner, anyone?) clutching a wheel and looking forlorn is becoming quite a familiar sight now. I've managed to glean that my Lefty is one of the first fully servicable units, not the very early press-install units (2.0) and i can see how i think its should come apart but i don't want to break anything trying.

Should the 90 degree lower leg (which i believe to be Ti, though it doesn't actually say so) come off the lower end of the stancion? There's what looks like a set screw to hold it on, which once removed should allow the removal of the 90 degree section with the axle stub, then allowing the cartridge to be passed out through the top of the steerer (handle bar end)?

Another quicker question, will all Lefty hubs fit all Lefty's? My hub is the original Coda with 4 holes for mounting the disc, can i fit a later 6 hole disc mount hub? Sorry to be pendatic but if the answer is no, could anyone explain why its no, if its just a case of offsetting the disc mounting face or some other mis-alignment that can be addressed?

Many thanks to anyone that made it this far, i tried to set-up a new thread but i've not posted enough.

Just Ride.
    I have some fluid leaking out around the rebound knob on my Lefty Max 140. What happened?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
    I have some fluid leaking out around the rebound knob on my Lefty Max 140. What happened?
    My friends new 2012 PBR did the same thing when he first got it. He was told it was excess oil/lube from being built that was leaking out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm hoping I didn't make an expensive mistake...I have 2011 Cannondale Trail sl2 29er and just purchased a 2012 pbr lefty off of ebay. Clamp spacing wasn't specified but he did mention the bike was too small and he was parting it out. So with that I assume its the regular clamp spacing. My bike has the 1.5" headtube and I'm not sure whether I need to run the SI headset or if the bearings will press in the frame like the flash. The headtube I believe is 4.5" (I say believe as its measures 5" but it appears to have a cup pressed into the bottom of the tube. Cannondales specs for the 2012 says 4.5". Do you guys think the regular clamp spacing will work? If so what headset will work? Thanks...I'm sweating bullets over here hoping I didn't just waste a bunch of loot lol....

Just Ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb64 View Post
    My friends new 2012 PBR did the same thing when he first got it. He was told it was excess oil/lube from being built that was leaking out.
    That makes sense actually. I only recently serviced it. Must have put to much in. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Lefty rebound knob/lockout not working

So my lockout lever has no effect, and the rebound knob just unscrews. I don't have a fluid leak. Does anybody know what could cause this and how to fix it? I know if I send it to Cannondale they'll just charge me $260 for the new PBR damper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

swapping Lefty for old DD50

Regarding headset bearings, if I pop the DD50 out of my Super V and leave the bearings in the head tube, can I just pop the Lefty right in, or do I need to transfer the Lefty bearings into the Super V head tube? And, does a Lefty pop out just like a DD50? I've had the DD50 and other HeadShok forks out, but never a Lefty. On the DD50, I just smack the top with a deadblow hammer and it comes right out.

EDIT: I'm not sure I'm supposed to reply to my own posts, so I'm just putting in an edit.
    Yes, the old DD50 bearings are the same as new Lefty bearings, and the Lefty just popped out of the headtube with a few smacks of the deadblow hammer once the top mounting bracket was removed. And since I have a regular stem and not one of the new one-piece ones, everything just swapped over.

Thanks,

Andy B.
    Last edited by andy b.; 10-20-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    Main Ride: 2015 Trek Superfly FS 9.7 SL
    Other bikes in the stable: '11 Pugsley, '97 Uber V conversion

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Had my old dlr 110 serviced and ended replacing the inner gubbins with PBR kit. Worked out pretty cheap for basically a new fork! Nice to be rid of the lever! Noticing a slight loss of pressure over time with the PBR kit, anybody else had this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

couple of questions, finally got a lefty dlr80 29er

I finally got a lefty. actually got a caffiene that is too big but got my way into 29ers.

can the 80mm dlr lefty on the 29er be made to 90 or 100mm?

what is the weight of the fork?

any other options for the lefty on a different 1 1/8 or tapered headtube bike than the 321 adaptor??

what will I need to put a tapered fork onto the caffeine?

thanks,
    Edwin

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi All!
    I want to upgrade my lefty max carbon spv to pbr damping. What top collar I need? KH063 or KH064?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For those who go to Cannondale web site and got dead links on the manuals,
    try the "Read" links instead of the "Download" links
    Some of the "Read" links worked for me when the download links are dead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by unicornmusk View Post
    I have an older lefty max 130 tpc. It has a black spring in it and i require a blue. Does anyone know if the 140 max springs will swap in the 130?

thanks
    Did you ever receive and answer for this? I am wondering the same thing.

Andy B.
    Main Ride: 2015 Trek Superfly FS 9.7 SL
    Other bikes in the stable: '11 Pugsley, '97 Uber V conversion

mtbr member

Lefty xlr on hi-mod2 Flash, photo what's this stain?

My hi-mod 2011 has this staining around the fork, would you say this is oil? I can't get it off.

The bike rides perfect, one guy I know is sponsored and rides these bikes but said he has never serviced his forks in 5 years??? He rides more than me. I do 500km a year only.

Thanks in advance

Edit:- I wrote to Cannondale, they replied within 36hrs (impressive) it will be checked on by a dealer & reported back to them. It's rare. A member has already stated that it may be oil staining this area. I plan to change the OPI anyway so I shall hope to get it cleaned up.
    Last edited by wallstreet; 11-13-2012 at 12:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Any 2013 issues yet ? There's a guy on mtb forum that says Cannondale totally messed up the Lefty with this 2013 model,and he rides a Scott anyway.......
    Last edited by Devastazione; 11-13-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Any 2013 issues yet ? There's a guy on mtb forum that says Cannondale totally messed up the Lefty with this 2013 model,and he rides a Scott anyway.......

No 2013 problems buddy & I am a Scott (addict) too! On race bikes. I will always love my Lefty.

Read this :-
    "Because the system is a closed unit, it can be completely removed for service. Cannondale also offer a SWOP (Service Without Problems) exchange service where the damper can be removed and replaced at a reduced cost. The brand also offer a lifetime warranty for the inner and outer legs."

Source article:

http://m.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/arti...-models-34378/

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone knows if all the ID of the double/triple clamps for all generation Lefty are the same ?
    The end that clamps to the fork leg.

DLR, DLR2, Carbon SL, MAX etc

I see lots of Lefty Max sold only with the lower clamp
    what happened to the top clamp ???

Thanks
    Lam

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I took my Flash 29er for a ride last night, with the air temperature in the mid 30's F. I noticed that the rebound on my Lefty PBR was REALLY slow. I set the rebound knob so that rebound should be at its fastest setting, and its still quite slow. Suggestions? Should I just live with it? Is there some maintenance procedure that I'm overlooking? Is it worth trying to use a lighter viscosity oil in the damper cartridge? Is that something that is easily serviceable at home, or would I need to take it to a shop? Any suggestions/advice welcome!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    guys i've got a 07 Rush with a speed lefty on it
    what are tell tale signs that it needs a bearing reset?
    as its leaking from around the lockout and I would rather get everything
    done at the same time.
    Thanks Grant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtaj View Post
    guys i've got a 07 Rush with a speed lefty on it
    what are tell tale signs that it needs a bearing reset?
    as its leaking from around the lockout and I would rather get everything
    done at the same time.
    Thanks Grant
    I would get the whole Lefty serviced, basically this is done under C'dale recommendation on an yearly basis - I have also read 2,000kms. They state it should be checked for needle alignment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Evening all, does anybody have a link to a tutorial for shimming a Lefty to 29er spec. I've seen one somewhere on the web but cant for the life of me find it again.

Pete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YAMIRIDER View Post
    Evening all, does anybody have a link to a tutorial for shimming a Lefty to 29er spec. I've seen one somewhere on the web but cant for the life of me find it again.

Pete
    This: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...what-do-i-need

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Guys,

I am new here and have a few questions.

I am building a super fast carbon 29er hardtail for 24 hour races, got my hands on a 2010 Lefty speed DLR, that I will be converting to a 29er.

I live in South Africa and lefty resources are VERY scarce!!! I have read up on the conversion and thought that I would give it a go (I have done quite a few shocks). My questions are as follows:

1. I know that the spacers need to be approx. 10mm high with ID 10mm and OD 20mm and that you need at least three. Can I make my own out of polypropelene? I have a lathe

2. What material can I use to make the air volume spacer/elastomer? I know that the spacer need to be around 20mm OD and 10 or so mm ID (this can be easily obtained by measuring the shaft and the tube. The hight must be 25mm?

Is this all correct?

I am also looking to have the Castle tool made by our machine shop. By te look of things it can not be that difficult. Saw a thread where a guy used a socket!!

Any info will be really appriciated!!

BTW: How much oil (ml) should be used?

Thanks in advance!!

Gawie

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Lefty carbon xlr 120 in scalpel 80

Hi, I want to ask a question.
    I have a scalpel ultimate 2011 and I think I put on the front suspension LEFTY CARBON XLR 120mm. It is possible to do, or will completely fails the geometry of the bike?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast