Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Actually, mineral oil for brakes (Shimano, Tektro, Magura etc) is the same stuff, I wouldn't use fork oil, yes, too heavy.
    So if we don't have the Reverb fluid on hands, we could use mineral brake oil for bleeding the full sprint lockout instead? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All I can say is I did mine now 3 years ago with fork oil and it is better then any others I've tried and worked on plus never leaks or seeps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Lefty Supermax on Lefty fork

is it possible to put a lefty supermax hub on a standard lefty fork. I've been given a set of Mavic Crossrocs with a SuperMax Hub and I'd love to find a conversion kit to use them.

mtbr member
    Would it be possible to convert my Lefty 2.0 27.5 120mm travel to a 29er 100mm? I have a Habit that fell off a bike rack on the interstate, and I would like to put it on another bike. I'm not sure if you can/how to convert it to 29.

My other ride
    Quote Originally Posted by langtounboy View Post
    is it possible to put a lefty supermax hub on a standard lefty fork. I've been given a set of Mavic Crossrocs with a SuperMax Hub and I'd love to find a conversion kit to use them.
    I don't have the answer, but I did the reverse (Stan's wheels came with standard hub) and only changed the brake mount. But I vaguely remember reading that you can't do the swap that way. On the other hand, you can probably buy a hub and do all the lacing work, then have your wheel builder true it for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I don't have the answer, but I did the reverse (Stan's wheels came with standard hub) and only changed the brake mount. But I vaguely remember reading that you can't do the swap that way. On the other hand, you can probably buy a hub and do all the lacing work, then have your wheel builder true it for you.
    I guessed that the answer would be 'No'
    Many thanks and now the search begins for a new hub

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Surprised this isn't here already - for their Hybrid Lefty Bath oil, anyone put 20wt Fox Gold in there? Cannondale-experts seem to suggest that....!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    20 wt is 20 wt.

I use Lucas, works fine. Can't say as I'd workup a sweat finding one brand or another if I needed it right then and there.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hey guys,
    Recently purchased a custom chinese carbon bike /w a Lefty XLR on eBay (I think it's an XLR anyways). It makes a clunking sound sometimes when going over bumps. I tried resetting the bearings and greasing the telescope, and it helped a little (at least I think it did, might be in my head, hopefully not). Been reading here that it's possibly caused by air in the oil. Does anyone have documentation on how to bleed/refill the oil? Also can anyone confirm that this is an XLR?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-iaabz7v.jpg  

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-gk5vwxk.jpg  

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-myiqwd8.jpg  

Last edited by dliusfbk; 07-16-2017 at 02:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can't see those images, but it's an XLR if it has the Xloc lockout

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Sorry, fixed it. It has a RockShox lockout. Any advice on the clunking? I should mention that I started noticing it more when I switched the tires out for slicks for city riding, although I think it was still there even when I was using knobs.

mtbr member
    my fat caad lefty gave up last night... I have put it through a LOT so I am happy it lasted this long! I've rebuild Fox and Maguras in the past, is a lefty totally proprietary (special tools etc) or can I give it a go??? Or should I just bring it to my LBS where I bought it?
    Feel the Bern!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2 View Post
    my fat caad lefty gave up last night... I have put it through a LOT so I am happy it lasted this long! I've rebuild Fox and Maguras in the past, is a lefty totally proprietary (special tools etc) or can I give it a go??? Or should I just bring it to my LBS where I bought it?
    Craig Smith at Mendon Cyclesmith is your man:

Cannondale, Professional and Trusted Lefty and Head Shock Service Performed by Craig Smith

It's just impossible to say enough good things about his Headshok and Lefty service.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2 View Post
    I give it a go??? Or should I just bring it to my LBS where I bought it?
    You can't really give it a go, especially if it has a structural problem. Lots of proprietary tooling required that they won't sell to you, and lots of really painful gotchas that will make an expensive job...more expensive.

I'd take it to a dealer, get them to remove it from the bike, then it's up to you whether it goes back to the mothership or an indy like Craig. IIRC, and Craig will correct me, but if something structural has gone, such as the bearings have cracked or the lower is showing signs of gouging and scratching, an indy's hands are tied, and it needs to go to the mothership. Which sucks balls, because it means you are in for a wait.

mtbr member
    Hi all.

I am looking to replace my stock wheels on my 2010 Cannondale Flash carbon 29er (2).

I was looking at Reynolds & Mavic Lefty 29er wheelsets but open to suggestions.

I'm an XC rider 160 lbs looking for light, fast, stiff and under $1k for the set.

mtbr member

Carbon Lefty 29er XC wheel recommendation?

Hi all.

I am looking to replace my stock wheels on my 2010 Cannondale Flash carbon 29er (2).

I was looking at Reynolds & Mavic Lefty 29er wheelsets but open to suggestions.

I'm an XC rider 160 lbs looking for light, fast, stiff and under $1k for the set.

My other ride
    Nothing really specific to a Lefty except the hub. Other then that, what ever wheels you want.

mtbr member
    disregard
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI 4
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hello, just wondering since I can`t find this info online, what are the service intervals on the new 2Spring?

Also what type of service must be done to Leftys?

Only air piston? or damper too?

Thanks in advance.

100 hours is the recommended interval.

After working on these for well, as long as they've been making them, there is no "partial service".

Shops that do it are simply trying to extract more money and service visits.

At the appointed time, tear down damper, telescope (and yes air pistons if you really want it separated out that much, but they are ON the damper, so therefore, part of the damper) and service the entire thing, completely.

It's like doing the timing belt on your car. To not do the water pump and associated pulleys, is to simply have to do the whole job again when they need it soon after.

Heard of a shop that charged a guy $50 to pull down his boot, smear on grease, and reset the bearings. Then charged him for it again a few months later. Then charged him separately for "air piston service" then later that year, charged for 100 hour service.

FYI, resets can be done by the end user, with almost no tools (and certainly no specialty ones) in under 3 minutes.

The *Old Cannondale* would simply tell you to get it serviced once a year if you ride regularly. I'd stick to that.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Gotcha! thank you very much Mendon, we are very lucky having you here.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    While my Scalpel is getting the rear shock rebuilt (****ing Fox is on week 3 now...), I've been riding my old F29er. It has an SL110 fork with the travel reduced to 80mm. I've also had the guts replaced with the Solo Air upgrade. I've struggled to find the air pressure that give it a supple feel but recommended sag since the upgrade. At 150psi it is way too stiff. At 110psi, it seems to have too much sag. Any ideas? Split the difference in pressure? Did they f up my rebuild when they did the Solo Air? My Scalpel's 100mm XLR feels fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    While my Scalpel is getting the rear shock rebuilt (****ing Fox is on week 3 now...), I've been riding my old F29er. It has an SL110 fork with the travel reduced to 80mm. I've also had the guts replaced with the Solo Air upgrade. I've struggled to find the air pressure that give it a supple feel but recommended sag since the upgrade. At 150psi it is way too stiff. At 110psi, it seems to have too much sag. Any ideas? Split the difference in pressure? Did they f up my rebuild when they did the Solo Air? My Scalpel's 100mm XLR feels fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here. I'm 152 pounds but I have to put 145psi to get the 25% sag.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

Don't bother with sag as a determining factor.

If the fork isn't bottoming out several times a ride and you like the way it feels, run it.

Bottoming out is normal, and simply means you've used all your travel, which you bought and paid for, so why not use??!

Once every ride or two, no sweat, at all.

Sag is simply a metric, it's not a magical number by which suspension nirvana is achieved.

Second thought, remove the volume reducer, those things kill plushness faster than a hungry cat at a bird feeder filled with deaf and blind birds....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I have a older (early 2000's) lefty headshok and was wondering if anyone is using a 60mm stem on their bike, or will it be too tight?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i have a lefty 2.0 xlr alloy on an FSI. (29er / medium). i run a lefty 2.0 supermax hub type of front hub. I would like to buy a cannondale brake adaptor allowing me to directly mount a 180mm front disc without relying on an extra adaptor between the KH111 I have now and my brake caliper. would that be the KH130 I need ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Ultra PBR 120 service - pop top not locking out

I have a PBR 120 Ultra that I am doing service on - which is well overdue.

Early on, the pop top stopped working (refused to block out). Do I have to split the shaft to fix this or is replacing the seals on the lower cap of the oil dampener and all seals of the air dampener enough?

Also I notice there is a plastic (I think) ring that appears broken? Is this supposed to have this break in it? There is no corresponding part in the seal kit. Here is a picture of it...

The official Lefty thread, tech, mechanical, etc-broken-seal.jpg

One more question...how do I replace the seals on the unit in the middle of the shaft without splitting the shaft - or shouldn't I bother.

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by langtounboy View Post
    I don't think this has been answered... langtounboy - if you are still subscribed, the answer is no. I was in the same boat (long story) and in the end had to get a non supermax hub. I ordered it from Jake at Project 321, good guy and lots of anodized colour options as well as bearing options.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    Would it be possible to convert my Lefty 2.0 27.5 120mm travel to a 29er 100mm? I have a Habit that fell off a bike rack on the interstate, and I would like to put it on another bike. I'm not sure if you can/how to convert it to 29.
    I'm curious about this as well - and to add to the question (or another question):

Is it possible to convert a Lefty 2.0 Supermax 29'er >130mm down to 100mm?

There are plenty Supermax's for sale, but I'm not riding Enduro, riding XC so don't need all that travel.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Members who have read this thread: 263