mtbr member

noob looking for cannondale intel please....

My local shops have Trek, Specialized, Gary Fischer and some other usual suspects but I found a cannondale dealer near home and want to look at them before buying my first "nice" bike. Based on my research over the last week what I'll be getting into is something along the lines of a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc, Specialized Rockhopper, or something in the Trek 4 series.
    What would be the equivalent in the Cannondale line to this and how would it rank as far as available components/forks to what I've been looking at?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey,
    The 2010 Cannondale you are looking for is the F7. It has the same specs as the hardrock sport disc, only with a better fork with a hydraulic lockout. The trek 4300 disc has similar specs as the f7 (they are VERY closely matched), however the trek does not have the same caliber discs (shimano < bb5 by a long shot) Retails at 650, but most list it at a retail of 599. This however, is being replaced by the "Trail 5" in 2011 as they are dropping the mountain bike line known as "CO2" which included the F7, only an LBS would have that info in a catalog, nothing is online as of now). Looks like a little better spec, but clearly the replacement. The F8 I believe retails at 550, similarly to the hardrock, however does no have similar components, as the fork doesn't have a lockout and they use an acera rear derailleur (FYI for comparison purposes, X-4 is comparable to Alivio on that spec, Deore and x-5 would be the upgrade of those). Others to look at would be GT Avalanche 2.0, Haro Flightline sport, Giant yukon (replaced in 2011 by Giant Revel 0). The rockhopper I've always heard was the next tier, however, this is the case ONLY if you are like 90% trail, as it has an extremely forward aggressive stance which might hurt your neck looking up if you spend any significant time on the road. My 2 cents.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    There are more models. Go to the lbs.