Prophet converted!

No lefty on 08 models?

I just checked and the 08 Prophet doesnt have the Lefty. Does anyone know why? It almost looks like they're using more non-cannondale forks than their own.
    07 Prophet 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    isn´t just the europe models? they have stop producing the lefty max if i remember right, but there has been some rumors that there will be a new lefty out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    no, it's an all prophets. it has already been thoroughly debated in here and can be summed up with that cannondale seeks to lower costs and increase margins by producing bikes with fewer options spec wise than before, and in terms of the lefty, this part is twofold. 1) cut cost as a building a lefty is expensive and dependent on outside contractors who aren't always too reliable. 2) the prophet has sold better without it due to the loads of lefty sceptics out there, even though the lefty max prob is the best fork on the marked. also, with the launch of the two new models come march, it makes sense to try to make the prophet as affordable and sell as much as possible this year, prob the last year it is offered, as well as redesign the lefty for the two new models.

what i'd like to see is both an air and coil based 130mm version of the max and a new lefty maximus with 160mm travel, with both a van and a talas type suspesion-setup. a lefty maximus with talas rc2 internals would prob be my dream fork, though prob incredibly expensive. can it be made though? i have no idea, but it would be sooo nice if it could. is the marked there? i should think so. the leftys are usually both easier to maintain, lighter and stiffer (weight to strength ratio) than the comparable "normal" forks and people should start to realize this. it has been on the marked for quite some time now and is a proven design that more often than not get stellar reviews.

LA CHÈVRE
    No, the real reason they don't have Lefty Max anymore is because the Max internals were made by Manitou, Manitou was bought by Hayes and the new management pulled the plug, stopped the agreement so Cannondale had no choice.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    No, the real reason they don't have Lefty Max anymore is because the Max internals were made by Manitou, Manitou was bought by Hayes and the new management pulled the plug, stopped the agreement so Cannondale had no choice.
    What does this mean for us Lefty Max owners? Will it be hard to get replacement parts if needed? And is it true that the Prophet will soon be discontinued?
    07 Prophet 5

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yes to the last question. also, the last i heard was that they promised to have spares in abundance. i wouldn't worry about it i were you f3. a lefty can take a lot of abuse and you prob won't need spares for a couple of years yet (when there still be a lot to be had), unless you crash in a way that kills parts of the fork in which case it prob needs to be replaced anyway. and as a fresh prophet owner i wouldn't worry about it not being as good as the new one or anything remotely connected to that. the prophet made the top three list in many bike mags this year (3-4 years after it was introduced) because it is a really really fun bike. it being replaced is not gonna end that. it is a really nice bike and especially so with a lefty. you got a helluva nice bike and have nothing to worry about.

and dan, i believe we are both right. the only version of the prophet that had the max this year in europe was the 1 that cost a whopping 8-9000 bucks here in norway. so while manitou - that is hayes - decision prompted the final end of the max for now, i do believe it was a step they would've taken anyway, and for the most part had taken here in europe already. besides, with the hotness of fox right now new fox internals in newly developed max' would only make em better i believe, or more sellable anyway.

and why hasn't this info gotten out sooner? i've read all the posts on the subject i believe, and this is the first i've heard of it.
    Last edited by klinkekule; 09-29-2007 at 11:31 AM.

LA CHÈVRE
    In Europe yes, Lefty sell less because the prices there are quite high but in north america, Lefty Max equipped Prophets were selling well and they would still be there if it wasn't for Hayes... I wouldn't be surprised to see a long travel Lefty (called Max or not) with different internals in the not so distant future...

We discussed it here a while ago and I posted about it on my website here...

And F3caffeine: yes, as all bikes do, eventually the Prophet will be replaced by something else. Rumors say there will be replacements for the Prophet later in 2008... That wont make your Prophet any less of a great bike though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yup, i've read both before, but didn't pick the hayes thing up as i for one didn't see your edit or remember reading about it in that post. i participated in the mentioned post so i guess if it's in there it's a slip from my side ;-)

well, damn hayes then. not only do they make shitty brakes, or nonmodulating brakes, the power is decent, but now they killed the max as well. oh well, i for one is expectantly awaiting its revival. i have a feeling it's gonna be spectacular. and i might sell my prophet now anyway, so.. don't really wanna as it is a really really really nice bike and i'm quite happy with the specs, but can't have two bikes that are so similar.

LA CHÈVRE
    We should boycott Hayes and Manitou products... It will be very easy for the brakes as, like you said, they pretty much are the worse brakes on the market.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hehe, but i really like manitou shocks - or the more expensive anyway (it might make a little bit of moise, but the manitou evolver isx6 is the best shock i've ever had), so that is a no go. or, it's not like i need any new shocks in the near future, so... as far as the brakes go, i've no idea what the new strokers are like, but once on formulas... it's not like hayes are your next choice in line is it? hehe.

Like catnip for people
    I thought this whole "Hayes bought Manitou and didn't want to continue the relationship" thing was just conjecture? There wasn't any real proof that it was the reason why the Max was discontinued; was there?

Anyway, That's how I took it when I read the original post...