Ground Pounder

No cable stops or derailleur hanger on 29er 3 (or EBB on the 2)?

Cannondale has me with the lefty, I'm loving it on my Rush. Now I want a hard tail for racing (in reality - only against myself) and shorter trail rides that I can turn into a SS for winter use. I don't need it, as the Rush does everything I need it to do well enough. It's a want. You guys know what I mean...

I think the idea of a 29er hard tail makes total sense and like the idea of EBBs as well. The 29er 3 would be a slam dunk for me if they just gave you the ability to run gears. I'm sure there's a way to do it, but why not give it to you that way out of the box? Heck, the 29er 2 with gears and an EBB would work too. This would give SS purists their clean bike w/o all the added stops and the ultralight geared crowd the 29er 1 to turn into a 22lb racer. Yes, this means an additional frame setup, but I think it would sell. I'd buy in. Extra points to CDale if it's frame/headset/lefty only.

Is anyone else bummed about this? I think my next best bet is a Niner SIR 9, but I'd really like the Lefty and I'd really hate to go to the trouble of a 1 1/8th adapter for it. Anyone else feel the same way?
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

LA CHÈVRE
    If you start from a 1FG SS F29, you'd need a new rear wheel to run gears anyway... so you could start with a geared F29 and have a new wheel built with a ENO hub.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Ground Pounder

I'm dreaming of...

Thanks Dan. I figured it was an ENO hub, fully jacketed cable routing with zip ties or a tensioner. Maybe clamp on cable stops (SQUISH! goes the aluminum)?

The ENO will work, but I'm assuming it makes wheel removal more of an inconvenience. I want it all And, why not with the EBB. It's already half way there. A few extra welds and a replacement hanger and it's a killer do it all bike.

Plus, as long as I'm dreaming let's have a chain stay caliper mount. I *heart* racks. Not the Pam Anderson kind. Well, maybe I don't hate that kind either. Come on Matthew Lee, back me up on this one.

LA CHÈVRE
    Haa so you're dreaming! That changes everything... but then again, in my dreams, I wouldn't have to switch the drivetrain, I would have a bike with each setup... well, I already do.

But I see your point, having a frame that's the most polyvalant (is that a word in english?). I wouldn't wait for it if you need a bike now though.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Ground Pounder
    It's far from a need. I'm happy with the Rush for the time being. I can wait until someone makes what I want. **Hint Hint PA readers**

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 1FG F29 can use the hanger from the geared bike but you still have to figure out what to do with the der cables. The rear could run full housing with zip ties. The front would be a little tougher. If I do any multi hour endurance races I plan on having my 1FG F29 as a backup bike in a 1 x 9 mode.

Members who have read this thread: 0