mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Newbie, Scalpel owner, upgrade help!!

This forum is awesome, although I'm a little overwhelmed with how much I have to learn.
    Started riding last year and just sold mu '96 C-dale F700 to get '06 New Scalpel 900.

It comes with the following setup:

Frame Cannondale Scalpel Ultra Aluminum / Carbon / Composite
    Fork Headshock Super Fatty Ultra DLR Lockout / Rebound
    Front Travel 80mm
    Rear Shock Fox Float RP3
    Head Set Cannondale SI
    Stem Cannondale XC3 SI
    Handlebar Cannondale Fire XC
    Brakes AVID BB 5s
    Brake Levers Cannondale Fire
    Shifters SRAM X.7
    Gearing (RR/FR) SRAM X.9 / SHIMANO DEORE LX
    Cranks & Chainrings FSA V-Drive MegaExo, 22/32/44
    Bottom Bracket FSA Outboard Bearings
    Pedals N/A
    Hubs (RR/FR) SHIMANO M475 DISC
    Cog-Set Sram PG-970
    Chain SHIMANO 9spd
    Spokes DT CHAMPION
    Rims Mavic XM 117 Disc
    Tires (RR/FR) Maxxis Larson TT
    Seat Post FSA
    Saddle Fizik Nisene II Sport

I highlited red items that I'd like to upgrade.
    Here is my questions:
    1. I would like to get Lefty DLR2. Would I have to get new front wheel and/or brakes?
    2. I'd like to get XTR-971 or 970 (don't know what the diference is between the two models)
    3. Is ST-M765 shifter/brake handle combo compatible with XTR-971 and the rest of gearing that is on the bike?

Any advice/feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

LA CHÈVRE
    Here are my answers:

1. You either need a new wheel or have your current rim relaced to a Lefty hub. Brakes will be fine.

2. The Top-Normal 970 works better with Dual-Control shifters, the Low-Normal 971 is better with Rapi-Fire shifters.

3. ST-M765 is what? A XT Dual-Control? If so, the XTR-970 will be better but make sure you get the v-brake version (not sure about the part number) of the Dual-Control levers to work with your current brakes. I know they are not v-brakes but mechanical discs (actuated by a cable, not hydraulics) use v-brake levers. You'll also have to do both the shifter and rear derailleur upgrade at once, Shimano shifters are not compatible with the SRAM rear derailleurs (SRAM uses a 1:1 cable pull ratio, Shimano uses 2:1).

And of course, welcome around here and enjoy that nice bike of yours!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the quick reply. What I ment is this Dual Control Lever ST-M760 (see link below). Will it work with XTR-970?
    What other upgades would you suggest? I paid 1400 for the bike and could spend about 700 more on upgrades. Thanks much.

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1186506687504

LA CHÈVRE
    Yes, that will work with your brakes and with the XTR-970. Just a cue, inverted rear derailleurs (like the 970) are more sensible to dirty and sticky cables. Running a full length cable housing is a good idea, it will stay clean and last much longer without any adjustments needed to the rear derailleur, highly recommanded. I have a pretty much the same setup on my Prophet and since I have changed for a full-length cable housing, I have not had to touch the derailleur adjustment and after two years, I can still shift so smoothly that I can follow someone without them even knowing I'm there. Fast, smooth, efficient shifts everytime.

If the Lefty is in your 700$ list, that will burn a big hole in your budget... or is it 700 after you got the Lefty?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the info. Yep, you are right, If I get Lefty, that alone will be around $500.
    Shimano RD and shifter will be additional 200 at least. So is Lefty worth it? I dont really need it, but it makes the bike... looks awesome.

LA CHÈVRE
    And $500 is for a used one...
    Is it worth it? It depends where and how you ride. The Headshoks are wonderful forks, light, stiff and look great since they are usually painted to match the frame, makes a clean look. If you ride in technical trails with lots of big rocks and roots, the Lefty will be superior with it's additional travel but for smoother trails, the Headshok is perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks Dan. I'm still waiting for the bike to arrive, so I'll give Headshock a try. I live in Florida, so really I don't need Lefty for reasons other thaat it looks awesome. We'll see. I'll definitly upgrade to XTR/XT.