mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Newbie Pulled the Trigger...

So after a few days of lurking and research, endless trips to my LBS and a bit of trying to convince myself that I wanted a yeti...I went with a Prophet 3 !
    Having owned 2 Cannondales so far in my life and now getting really excited about the sport, came to the conclusion it was the smartest choice.
    Im still trying to figure out how the rear suspension works, with the SPV, and rebound settings.
    Im taking my fiancee tomorrow to a park close by and riding the beginner trails with her so I dont scare her away and see if she becomes as much of a fanatic as I am.
    Then to another park on sunday with a friend that rides often and seeing what the new toy is capable of...
    Any inputs on the intricacies of the shocks?

mtbr member
    Congrats, man. Can't help you with the shock (unfortunately) but someone on here should be able to.

Enjoy your new ride!

mtbr member
    "Im still trying to figure out how the rear suspension works, with the SPV, and rebound settings. "

Did your bike come with a manual for the Swinger rear shock?
    Mine didn't, but once I found and downloaded the manual, life got much easier.
    As i just mentioned in this thread:
    new Prophet owner's manuals
    the website for Manitou manual downloads seems to be gone, so If anyone needs the 05 or 06 Manitou rear shock manual I'd be happy to email it.

EDIT: Website for manual downloads is back on line:
    http://www.hbsuspension.com/helpdesk.asp
    Last edited by jdr01930; 04-24-2007 at 07:03 PM.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Set the (main) air spring first. I would start with sag set at about 30%. By that I mean that if you slide the o-ring on the shock shaft up against the shock shaft and then gently climb onto the bike a get into a normal riding position and then climb back off. Then measure how far the o-ring moved and compare that against how far it could move if you bottomed it out (a.k.a. stroke). If your shock has a 2" stroke, you would be looking for a hair over 5/8" sag.

For the SPV, since I don't know your weight or the swingarm ratio of you bike, I would start off with about 70psi in the SPV chamber. Ride the bike. If it 'bobs' when you are pedaling normally, add air in 10psi increments until it doesn't bob or at least almost doesn't bob. You might have a friend ride just behind you to watch to see if your swingarms moves while you are pedaling.

I would start with the rebound setting dead in the middle to start.

Write down these settings or commit them to memory and you can use them as a baseline.

Now, take the bike for a real teat ride and see how you like it. You can make small adjustments to suit your personal preferences, but it should ride pretty nicely under normal conditions set up like this. I would keep the sag between 25% to maybe 40% max and if you think the SPV makes the shock too stiff for small bumps, you can decrease pressure in 5psi increments until you find your sweet spot, just know that you are eroding away at the 'platform' that keeps your pedaling efforts at peak efficiency.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Jeff