mtbr member

Newbie with a cannodale Super VBrake question?

Hi I am a Newbie with some perplexing problems with parts fitment and need answers from the knowledgeable folks here! I have a 98 Cannondale Super V500 with V brakes and I want to retrofit the bike with a mechanical rear disc brake! Now I know I need a 6 hole hub/wheelset and some kind of adapter tab/bracket for the caliper to mount to as the frame has none on it now and a Avid brake kit to fit this all together any suggestions are appreciated on where and what to do and the best prices to purchase! I am mechanically inclined as I have motorcycles and do all the work so mechanical ability is secondary on this project (Drilling, tapping etc.) I see Nashbar has a Brake kit on Sale NS-MDBS for $69.95 really don't see how I can retro fit a front brake on the Headshock fork tubes unless someone else knows, but I hear that a bracket can be installed on the rear frame triangle by the dropouts! Can anyone help me out on this? TIA Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by denny9526; 07-04-2007 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Nobody can help me?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    There's a device from a company called Brake Therapy, try this... http://www.therapycomponents.com/BRAKETHERAPY.htm
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link this might be an option I didn't see an application for my bike however I did email them for more info on this product thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

why bother

Dont underatand exactly why you would go to all the trouble?
    If you really want disc then look out for a second hand rear swing arm that has the mounts already installed. Same for the front forks. Otherwise, I would stick with what you have.
    TonyG.

mtbr member
    "If you really want disc then look out for a second hand rear swing arm that has the mounts already installed. Same for the front forks" Thanks for the info! I didn't realize that could be an option & I wasn't aware that they were compatible! I just like the braking action of a disc brake with out buying another bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by denny9526
    "If you really want disc then look out for a second hand rear swing arm that has the mounts already installed. Same for the front forks" Thanks for the info! I didn't realize that could be an option & I wasn't aware that they were compatible! I just like the braking action of a disc brake with out buying another bike!
    You should definitely hang on to that frame - there are plenty of upgrade options that can make that bike perform as well as or better than any modern trailbike on the market.
    Also - I have a '99 SV swingarm with both disc and canti mounts that is on my "to be sold' pile. PM me if you're interested.