mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Newb Needs Help Upgrading Super V1000

Hello All,
    I am a pure newb to mountain biking so please forgive me if my terminology is wrong or I am posting in the wrong section. I have an old 95 Cannondale Super V 1000 and I am looking to upgrade the fork on it. From some of the people I've talked to, it seems my selection is rather limited. Is that because of the headset size? Can someone please explain? Also, i understand I can get an adapter for the headset and I can get any fork I want but my whole setup would have to change. I would just like to upgrade the fork, if I do some shopping online, what specs and what else should I look for? Any suggestions? Thanks to all in advanced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It really isn't that hard...Cannondale is smart to spec a 1.5" headtube rather than a standard 1-1/8"...the goal is to achieve a stiffer front end for sake of handling and control. You could purchase nearly any fork you chose...if it were a 1-1/8" fork, you would need a headset that reduces from 1.5" to 1-1/8", like the new Chris King 1.5 NoThreadSet. If you were really smart, and well financed, you would get a standard Cannondale replacement headset and use the Lefty that your frame was designed to accept!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    welcome, I too have a '95 Super V (Super V 700). Irronically enough I am getting back into riding again and looking to upgrade my fork as well. So this post will help me also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Thank you - ok, I am not smart....

I am trying to keep costs to a minimal, i don't want to invest something that costs more than the bike itself. So if I understand correctly, I need to look for a fork that will fit a 1.5" head tube so I don't need to buy any additional stuff correct? Thank you again for all the help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Thank you - ok, I am not smart....

I am trying to keep costs to a minimal, i don't want to invest something that costs more than the bike itself. So if I understand correctly, I need to look for a fork that will fit a 1.5" head tube so I don't need to buy any additional stuff correct? Also, what is the mm measurement associated with a fork? Thank you again for all the help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by axl169
    I am trying to keep costs to a minimal, i don't want to invest something that costs more than the bike itself. So if I understand correctly, I need to look for a fork that will fit a 1.5" head tube so I don't need to buy any additional stuff correct? Thank you again for all the help!
    Trying to keep costs down and find a fork with a 1.5" steerer tube, good luck. 1.5" steerers are a newer thing, thus you will pay a premium. A Fox fork with a 1.5 steerer will set you back a good $1000, maybe RockShox. If you are trying to keep costs down, see if you can find a good used FOX 32 fork with a 1-1/8" steerer...get the Chris King 1.5 headset, or similar that is 1.5 that reduces to 1-1/8".

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...SION+FORK+2006

So this is pretty much crap? Thanks again for the info, btw - what is the mm measurement listed with the fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Haven't ridden the fork but it weighs 6.1lbs about twice the weight of the headshock! The mm measurement is the max travel of the fork ie about 4". If you use a 1.5" steerer you will still need to buy a 1.5 headset because Cannondale use their own upper and lower bearings (no star fangled nut). You will also need a new 1.5 stem oh and the Manitou Stance has a thru axle so you will need a new front hub/wheel.
    Whilst on the subject of travel your rear sus is 69mm max. You can swap to a later headshok and get 80mm and all your other parts will fit. Shop on Ebay and its probably the best budget upgrade.

got the dhr...
    hey axl169- I can sell you my used fox float 32 rl with the proper headset. PM me if your interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thank you for the response, I appreciate all the help but I am afraid to say I don't understand the majority of the technical jargon (i don't understand what "travel of the fork" means), can someone point me to a thread or website that helps explain some of this? I hate wasting people's time on explanations especially when they fall on ignorant newbs like me. I thank you for the advice regardless.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the response, I appreciate all the help but I am afraid to say I don't understand the majority of the technical jargon (i don't understand what "travel of the fork" means), can someone point me to a thread or website that helps explain some of this? I hate wasting people's time on explanations especially when they fall on ignorant newbs like me. I thank you for the advice regardless.
    watered down, travel is just the distance that the wheel can move up and down.

mtbr member
    and i would avoid that manitou. my iron horse 7.3 came with a stance flow...junk. fork locked up after about 20 rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    quit simply, "fork" is the thing that your front wheel is attached to, because it looks like a 2 pronged "fork". The travel is the distance that the front shock moves up and down. The all the way "up" position to the all the way "down" (bottomed out) position is the shock's travel, or, the amount of complete movement up and down it has.