Cyclist of Borg

New Woodman lefty hub on ebay

Not mine. I did buy mine from this guy though.

$150 buy it now

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-WOODMAN-BILL...3286.m14.l1318

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Or buy it here for half price: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=22902

Sheesh. $150 for an undifferentiated 155 gr hub, just because of the Woodman name. I like the equal sized flanges and have used this hub to convert a non-lefty wheel to a lefty wheel and avoid having to find/buy appropriate spokes. But unless you have a specific need like that, what's the point? I seriously question all the other assertions (stronger, etc). Show me a Cannondale hub that's blown up in a way that this one wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus
    Not mine. I did buy mine from this guy though.

$150 buy it now

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-WOODMAN-BILL...3286.m14.l1318

Cyclist of Borg
    Quote Originally Posted by almontebarnes

when i was looking for mine they were out of stock and i was told it would be 10 weeks minimum. In all this time i had forgoton about UC's great price. I was just perusing parts and saw it listed and brought it here incase anyone wanted one. I guess no one here will want it. o well

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    To follow up to my own post: the reason we see wierd pricing on things like this is simply nichification. What Cannondale really needs to do is make everything about a lefty an open standard. Lefties are great. But if you're familiar with the concept of "dominant forms", a design that's adequate but not optimal will be accepted better and perform better or equally simply if it is established early and is produced in volume, making up for a weaker design by refinement through volume. For example, the bicycle fork or the motorcycle fork. Both perform nearly as well (or better, on a cost basis) as the "better" alternatives. This is nearly impossible to overcome by better designs, unless all barriers to adaption are eliminated and volume ramps on the better alternate designs.

Like BB30, I do think that the goodwill garnered by such a move would offset the "proprietary" advantage they currently have. I don't know how sustainable development of something like a lefty is, and how sustainable it is to have multiple OEMs develop parts like hubs that are critical to have good supply chain diversity (i.e., Shimano, Mavic, etc.) I'd love to look at the costs of the Lefty program and understand what it means to Cannondale's competitiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by almontebarnes
    Or buy it here for half price: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=22902

Sheesh. $150 for an undifferentiated 155 gr hub, just because of the Woodman name. I like the equal sized flanges and have used this hub to convert a non-lefty wheel to a lefty wheel and avoid having to find/buy appropriate spokes. But unless you have a specific need like that, what's the point? I seriously question all the other assertions (stronger, etc). Show me a Cannondale hub that's blown up in a way that this one wouldn't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, Universalcycles is like that. Long periods of no availability, and then - boom - in stock. That's why I stay on notification lists for things like this. (This is how I was able to score mine a while ago.) Heck, its seems one can make a nice supplementary income by buying out Universalcycles and then listing the hub on eBay via buy-in-now.

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus
    when i was looking for mine they were out of stock and i was told it would be 10 weeks minimum. In all this time i had forgoton about UC's great price. I was just perusing parts and saw it listed and brought it here incase anyone wanted one. I guess no one here will want it. o well