mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New wheels, need opinions

I've decided on DT 4.2d rims, Lefty/Hope Pro 2 hubs, black Comp spokes, red nipples.

It may sound stupid but can't decide on the rear hub color. I don't know if I should get a black one to match the Lefty hub, or the gunsmoke that match my BTC Rush frame . Heck, I even considered a red rear hub but it may look weird having the black in the front and red in the rear wheel.

What do you think??

LA CHÈVRE
    Black... matching hub colors is very important... well, not really but it looks cleaner, less like the bike was built from found parts. That's what I think.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm also trying to decide on new wheels for my Rush. So far, I have decided on DT 4.2d rims, Cannondale Lefty/Hope Pro 2 hubs, black SuperComp spokes and alloy nipples. I think the SuperComp spokes compliment the alloy nipples better. I would like to go with red nipples, rear hub, and skewer. I'm not sure if it would look trick or sick! My bike is BBQ black. Also, I'm not sure if I should have the wheels built with the DT Swiss tubeless kit right off the bat.

I'm open to comments or suggestions.
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good point Dan, thanks. I have to decide on either black or gunsmoke, the red was sort of a crazy idea anyway.

eaglecat, I also thought on the SuperComp spokes first but as I'm 180lbs someone else mentioned I should use SuperComp spokes on the non-drive side and Comp on the drive side given my weight. I had Mavic Crossmax (pre-tubeless version) wheels on my old F1000sl hardtail and I could feel and hear (brake rub) how flexy they were when pedaling uphill and on fast corners. I don't want to take any chances on flexy wheels that's why I decided on Comp spokes.