mtbr member
    May 2004

New wheels for my Jekyll... woodman/new cdale/?

The coda discs on my 2000 Jekyll 900 SX are shot. Cannondale is no longer offering the free upgrade to Hayes (with a 4-bolt pattern), and I'm not having success with finding good brakes that come with an appropriate rotor pattern. I've heard Hope offers a 4-bolt, but I've gotten no response from them.

If I could just buy new brakes, this would be the cheapest option.

I think I'm going to have to build a set of 6-bolt wheels to fit my lefty. I may be able to find a new pair of cdale wheels, either via classifieds or through my bike shop, but I'm not sure. This would the next cheapest option.

Finally, I could spec my own wheels using woodman's LFY hub (and some rear hub, woodman or other). This would be wonderful, but also the most expensive option. Also, it would likely take the longest, and I'm bikeless in summertime, and I just want to get riding again.

So: as to my question(s).

1) Does anyone know of any 4-bolt system that would bolt on with minor changes (non-coda, obviously)?
    2) Can I get just the latest cannondale disc wheels (that are 6-bolt)?
    3) Who would you recommend to build me a nice set of wheels with woodman hubs? I've tried contacting speeddreams, but he's busy, and no one answers the phone. Price is a consideration, but I'd also like them as soon as possible.

Any and all advice on what to do here is appreciated.

mtbr member
    I believe hayes makes 4 bolt rotors, and i'm sure magura does, i have the julie brakes on mine with 4 bolt(from the sounds of it you want better brakes than these) - but you could contact magura and see if they make the marta with the 4 bolt. Check ebay for 6 bolt wheelsets, there on there all the time from people who have bought there cannondale and upgraded.

Are you talking to me?

The fastest way?

Get some Hayes brakes, and order 4 bolt rotors. That is the fastest way.
    gfy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Get some Hayes brakes, and order 4 bolt rotors. That is the fastest way.
    That's what I've ended up doing, but Hayes doesn't actually make 4 bolt rotors anymore. I snagged the last two available at my local bike shop - they say they can't get them anymore. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, I'd like to hear it, as I'd like to know what I can do if I bend or break one.

mtbr member

late reply

sorry for the late reply, been out of town without internet access for two weeks. for future referance i have a bunch of old coda rotors. avid mech brakes work with coda rotors as well. i built a wheel with the woodman hub and it's great (crossmax rear wheel--although woodman's rear hub is great too)

hope everything works out for you!
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]