Thread: New of Used?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New of Used?

Hello,

I had my K2 Razorback stolen a few years ago. I am now itching to get into MTB again, but I dont know if I this is serious or not. I would like to start with a bike at $1,000 a little over or under, obviously a Cannondale.

What really intrigues me is the lefty fork and a new bike with a lefty cannot be had in my price range. I was looking at used Cannondales online, specifically the Prophet with a lefty. I really like the Prophet frame for some reason. Finally the question is...should I get a new Cannondale with a regular fork and save up for the lefty or should I buy used?

Your input is greatly appreciated, thanks

TXTony
    New=Warranty Used=No Warranty...that said you can find some good deals on used bikes if you know what you are looking for

mtbr member
    get a used Prophet with a "regular" fork. Just make sure the seller didn't beat the hell out of it too bad.
    Don't get hung up on cable rub and scratches...it's a mountain bike right?

Lefty's are overated in my opinion.
    I would buy a RS, Marz, or Fox before a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Not sure where you are located, but a nice 2009 Rush 6 just listed on Philly Craigslist yesterday for $1100.00. Very nice shape and a great price... Has a "Regular" Fork, but very nicely spec'd bike...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Nothing wrong with lefty's, good forks though are a marmite (love it or hate it) bit of kit, just due to their look, not their performance. The older lefty (tpc/spv) damping performance isnt up today standards but works fine, & it is possible to upgradable post 05 units. So don't be put off having one, if you fancy trying one.
    The Prophets a great frame, works well with the lefty max.. Seemingly you can get a prophet/max combo for about that money in the states too (definitley can in the UK), so maybe just what you need.
    Though jumping from a 80/100 hardtail to a 140mm XC/FR full susser is a big step, the Rush is a good alternative option to consider.