mtbr member

New Scalpel vs Old Scalpel

Hi all,

The upgrade bug has gotten hold and I am thinking of selling off the old Scalpel (albeit with an upgraded RP23 rear shock) to the new Scalpel (carbon version). Could anyone who has ridden both give me some insight as to whether there are any big differences?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Very big differences.

Firstly the geometry is different:

The head angle fromold to new has gone from 70 degrees to 69.5degrees.
    the wheelbase has grown by a centimeter
    The seat angle is up from 73.5degrees to 74degrees

Suspension:
    67mm to 100mm makes a big difference to the feel.

Out on the trail:

The new scalpel is a much easier bike to throw from bend to bend corner to corner. It accelerates a little more lethargically but I'm splitting hairs now.
    The new Scalpel is a lot stiffer at the BB and at the Headtube to top tube junction.
    The pivot location on the chainstays also seems to have been moved about an inch closer to the rear wheel with the seat stays no also flexing.

these changes results in a bike that feels like a Rush but with a little bit more Oomphff.

It isdefinately a worthwhile upgrade.

OH, it
    s also a kilo lighter!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have both but I have not ridden the new one long enough to provide feedbacks. So far Brad pretty much covered it.

One thing I noticed is the gearing, love the 44/29 (newer) vs tripple on the older Scalpels..The new one feels a little stiff compared to the older one..

either way- they are both fast bikes..

good luck-

LA CHÈVRE
    A Kilo lighter? Maybe for a built bike with newer parts but for the frame itself, not that much...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2004
    built bike yes, Frame is a wopping 600gr light though. My new Sclapel 1 is just over 2kg with Rp23. Old one was just under 2.6kg with Float RL. In fact my Rush Frame and old Scalpel frame were within grams of each other!

Old Sclapel was not light. the FLexing stays were quite heavy since they had a metal and foam core. Also Seat tube was heavy but robust component.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    2004 Scalpel 3000 complete with pedals, computer + a few weight reduction goodies @ 24.7 lbs

2008 Scalpel Team Carbon complete with Crank Brother Pedals (heavy) and plastic flat pedals, (4) reflectors, plastic wheel protector and a bottle cage @ 22.90 lbs.

Im estimating the weight difference between the two built bikes (ready to ride) (~1.8lbs) again these may not be accurate but close enough to determine there's a weight difference.

cheers

mtbr member
    thanks to all for the responses.

i think the weight differences are going to be pretty clear - the scalpel team stock is around the low 10's (kg) and eli has gotten it below 8kg. my scalpel is in the mid 10's with some mediocre weight weenie efforts.

but back to how it rides though in comparison to the old scalpel... brad mentioned that it rides in a similar way to a Rush - i also have a carbon Rush - is this a waste of an upgrade then???
    Last edited by nathanbal; 08-21-2008 at 08:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    thanks to all for the responses.

i think the weight differences are going to be pretty clear - the scalpel team stock is around the low 10's (kg) and eli has gotten it below 8kg. my scalpel is in the mid 10's with some mediocre weight weenie efforts.

but back to how it rides though in comparison to the old scalpel... brad mentioned that it rides in a similar way to a Rush - i also have a carbon Rush - is this a waste of an upgrade then???
    ummm the Rush feels like a sofa compared to any of my Scalpel--(JMHO)

I dont mean that in a negative way- I wish my Scalpel are as comfy.
    Last edited by spartan23; 08-22-2008 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you already have a Carbon Rush, I would say the difference is not that big. I've tested a very light new Scalpel, and yes its faster, but not that much. More in pick up speed due to its lightness then in normal riding.

Why not consider a Taurine next to you Rush, I use that combo and its great. The Taurine is nimble and very fast, the Ruh is used for those moments I need more comfort.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'll second that.

Difference between carbon Rush and Scalpel is mostly in the rate of the suspension (Rush is linear and scalpel is progressive) and the weight (theres about 350gr difference in similar build).
    A Taurine would provide more distinction in your choice of weapon for a trail or race course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    And lets not forget, the Taurine is blistering fast but with a lot of comfort as well. Slap on some decent tires ( I use Schwalbe 2.25 Racing Ralps in Tubeless version) and you'll be ready to attack.

If you prefer the other ent of the Spectrum, try a Moto.

mtbr member
    I think it is very misleading to tell someone that the new Scalpel feels anything like a Rush. Would be fair to say it's like a Rush on speed or something. I had a couple of the old Scalpels and a Rush (the Rush was a short relationship). I currently have a Taurine and a the new Scalpel. I like the Taurine a lot but the Scalpel just takes the edge off the rough terrain a little better. I don't think I'm any faster on the Taurine as I am on the Scalpel or vise versa, but I do think I recover from the ride on the Scalpel faster than I do on the Taurine. That is why the Taurine is currently up for sale. Gotta make room for another Scalpel.

Members who have read this thread: 0