mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New Rush 2000 or Used Rush 3000

Hey guys--new to this forum. Roadie trying to get into MTB. Intrigued by the Cannondales, and the Lefty seems to be the way to go. Wanted to get something mid to high end but stay in the low $2K range. Turns out I can get a 2006 Rush 2000 from an LBS for ~$2300 on closeout. I can also get a used Rush 3000 from someone on CL for around the same price. I've seen pics of the used one and it looks clean.

Assume I would need to rebuild the fork (not sure if I would, but assuming the worst case). Main diffs are XT versus XTR and the wheels (at least that seems to be the main diff). Not sure what the weight diff is (if you know please tell me). What would you do?

Specs:
    Rush 2000
    Frame Rush, 110 mm
    Fork Lefty Speed Carbon DLR2, 110 mm
    Rear Shock FOX Float RP3
    Rims Mavic XM819 UST Disc, 24 hole
    Hubs Cannondale Lefty front, DT Swiss 340 disc rear
    Spokes DT Swiss Competition
    Tires Maxxis CROSSMARK XC UST, 26 x 2.1"
    Pedals CrankBrothers Egg Beater
    Crank Shimano XT, 22/32/44
    Chain Shimano 9-speed
    Rear Cogs Shimano XT, 11-34
    Bottom Bracket Shimano XT
    Front Derailleur Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR
    Shifters Shimano XT Dual Control
    Handlebars FSA XC-190AOS, 25 mm rise
    Stem Cannondale XC3 HeadShok, 31.8 mm
    Headset Cannondale HeadShok Si
    Brakeset Shimano XT
    Brakelevers Shimano XT Dual Control
    Saddle Fi'zi:k Nisene II HP Ti
    Seat Post Cannondale Carbon

Rush 3000
    Frame Rush, 110 mm
    Fork Lefty Speed Carbon FOX TerraLogic TT, 110 mm
    Rear Shock FOX Float RP3
    Rims Mavic CrossMax SL UST
    Hubs Mavic CrossMax SL UST
    Spokes N/A
    Tires Maxxis CROSSMARK XC UST, 26 x 2.1"
    Pedals CrankBrothers Egg Beater
    Crank Shimano XTR, 22/32/44
    Chain Shimano 9-speed
    Rear Cogs Shimano XTR, 11-34
    Bottom Bracket Shimano XTR
    Front Derailleur Shimano XTR
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR
    Shifters Shimano XTR Dual Control
    Handlebars FSA Carbon K-Force, 25 mm rise
    Stem Cannondale XC3 HeadShok, 31.8 mm
    Headset Cannondale HeadShok Si
    Brakeset Shimano XTR
    Brakelevers Shimano XTR Dual Control
    Saddle Fi'zi:k Gobi Ti
    Seat Post Cannondale Carbon

mtbr member
    as far as the specs go I prefer XT over XTR because I feel like XT takes more abuse. The 3000 would be lighter based on the specs list but I am not sure by how much, just basing my assumption on components. I would go with the new Rush 2000 just because I am not the used bike buyer type. Although if you see the 3000 and it doesn't look banged up and works great, nothing wrong with getting a better spec'd bike for the same amount of money
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

sweeper
    Jun 2007
    Sir,

Unless the used Rush 3000 has logged in 500miles or less, I would go for the brand new Rush 2000. Besides the fox terralogic fork of the 3000 is slightly heavier and probably less versatile than the carbon dlr2 of the 2000. More so I guess the brand new one, tho' old model, will still carry a warranty from the store. In any case, you'll enjoy the cannondale rush.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks guys. The fork may be heavier on the 3000 but I think the bike overall is a few pounds lighter, or so I've heard. The 3000 supposedly weights in the 24lb range, whereas the 2000 is 27.25 (weighed at the shop).
    On the warranty, that's right, though I've heard that Cannondale doesn't really warranty their shocks anyway, unless they are defective right out of the box.
    I test rode the 2000 yesterday. Nice ride, though the rear shock (same as on the 3000) seemed a little mushy. Perhaps it's just because I'm new to MTB. They put more air in it and it was still a little mushy.
    Still deciding....

mtbr member
    When I first switched to full suspension from a year of hardtail riding and four years of roadie riding, my Rush felt mushy as all get out. It took me about four months of adjusting to get it where it is perfect for me. Give it time and you should be able to figure out the best setting for you.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member

Used Rush owner

Bought a slightly used Rush 3000 frame on Ebay had an 01Raven sx lefty (rear swing arm split Cannondale sent me a new CAAD 8 road frame) switched parts from old to new during the switch my lefty fork locked up and the mechs could not unlock it so they called the folks at Cannondale they sent me a new/rebuilt fork Cannondale's customer service has been excellent that being said Id go for the better specd bike mine has mainly XT parts weighs about 27.5 pounds cant seem to shave anymore weight. Luv the bike been playing with different tires 2.1's vs 2.3's with the 2.1's the bike is a speed demon. lets us know what you pick

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks. Ended up getting the used Rush 3000. It was in great shape and I couldn't resist the better specs. Got it for $2125. Only used it twice so far, so still getting used to it, but I like it. No real frame of reference though since I'm a newb (wanted to get something that I wouldn't have to trade up to). Will try to post pics some day soon.