mtbr member
    Aug 2010

New question here. New Rear Cassette Help - Cannondale Jekyll

Hi All,

I'm no big bike techy and am new to this forum so apologise if this is not posted in the wrong area, I am just after a little advise or help.

I have a Cannondale Jekyll 500 and am after replacing the rear cassette as its very worn and has been slipping gear a lot lately. My bike has Shimano Deore shifters and a Deore XT rear derailleur, I have just purchased a new Shimano HG53 chain as advised, however the rear cassette currently fitted is an SRAM Powerglide 7 34t, should this not be a Deore cassette or does it not matter?

I was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2009-Shimano-D...g_bikeparts_SR

Is this right or wrong?

FYI - I do alot of mixed terrain, up-hill and down-hill biking.

Thanks alot
    Andy

mtbr member
    Cassettes/chains don't matter, you can use any brand and I mean pretty much any brand not just Sram or Shimano, just get the right number of gears =D

Number of teeth depends on you. Basically less teeth in the rear means its geared towards going fast/down. More teeth is geared towards climbing. Opposite goes for the front.

I like running 11-32-ish and I never use 32 teeth, because I'm a man and don't need no stinkin' gear to climb!

mtbr member
    May 2005

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan
    Cassettes/chains don't matter, you can use any brand and I mean pretty much any brand not just Sram or Shimano, just get the right number of gears =D

Number of teeth depends on you. Basically less teeth in the rear means its geared towards going fast/down. More teeth is geared towards climbing. Opposite goes for the front.

I like running 11-32-ish and I never use 32 teeth, because I'm a man and don't need no stinkin' gear to climb!
    You da Man, Dan.