Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

New prophet upgradeitis has struck.

I just got a new Prophet 600 and so far I have upgraded to an x.9 derailler and shifters, Candy c pedals, WTB laser v saddle, avid speed dial levers. I am looking to get a better set of wheels than the stock 117's. I am considering getting a set of Crossmax wheels but I am having trouble finding them for the Lefty. Can you guys tell me where I can purchase them?
    I may also just use my ztr 355 on a king hub for the rear and have a new wheel built around the existing lefty hub because this may be a cheaper option. Suggestions?
    I may also decide to swap the lefty internals but right now it feels pretty good. I would like to try to drop some weight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, i'm guessing you have the metel rear shock no? so i would go for the santa cruz 99 dollar manitou 3 way swinger upgrade sure, it doesn't have this years 3 way adjustable spv platform settings, but it still works great with the prophet frame. i'm actually removing my rp3 that i recently put on it to reattach my swinger. think it works better with the frame, though i also have a manitou evolver isx6 on the way for burlier use.

where to get the crossmax lefty compatible wheels? not sure, but i'm guessing either of the larger internet stores can order them for you at a discounted price. dunno. didn't spot em in any of the sites i usually use. rebuilding them around the cannondale omega hub works too and would if built proberly prob be cheaper and just as light/strong, though don't quote me on that one. i'm not wheel guru. personally i'm awaiting the arrival of my new crossmax sl with a lefty compatible front wheel. i got em slightly used though. i'm not 100% positiv that the wheels can take my hard charging (hehe) all mountain style use, but i guess we'll see. they're nice and light and the 24 spoke mavic 819 wheelset that is on my prophet now now is prob no sturdier. prob less so. besides the wheels the largerst weight saver would prob be upgrading the crank and the things related to it. and some grams could be saved with lighter handlebars etc etc. mine is currently at 12.7 kg with a crossmax xl rear wheel, but it's getting the new sl front and back and prob the new shock, so it's prob not moving much in either direction as the wheels are lighter, but the shock twice as heavy. oh well, win some to loss some, though i end up ahead in the end with a nicer setup.

LA CHÈVRE
    Prophet upgradeitis? You are doomed! You'll end up with a blinged out 26lbs Prophet... I stopped on mine because my bike account is now empty...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    My next one will be a bashguard and new rings (will only rock 2 as I never use the 44T); thanks to Dan's advice...

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G
    My next one will be a bashguard and new rings (will only rock 2 as I never use the 44T); thanks to Dan's advice...
    I suggest a 22-36T setup then, you don't lose as much top end gearing that way compared to a 22-32T... it's easy to go faster than a 32T x 11T rear will let you pedal!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I suggest a 22-36T setup then, you don't lose as much top end gearing that way compared to a 22-32T... it's easy to go faster than a 32T x 11T rear will let you pedal!
    I am thinking of going that route as well. I tried the slacker head angle today and i like it. I think I will forget the crossmax's and just use my rear wheel and have a new front built. Running tubless should trim some grams. I think I will call Dave at speed dreams and just send him the hub. Its funny, my $2500 Turner is collecting dust and I bought this bike for 800.

Is the upgrade to tpc from ffd worth it? I may need a stiffer spring for the lefty because I weigh 205. Where can you get those?

mtbr member
    Best upgrade I ever made on my 05 Prophet 800 was going from the crappy, flexi 117s to XM819s on hope Pro II rear and stock C'Dale hub frt. This noticably stiffened up the rear end you have the UST option, which I wish I'd tried years ago