mtbr member
    Jan 2004

new and old Scalpel handling traits

anyone have intimate riding experience with an older,first year, and newer Scalpel? I ride an 2002(1st yr) Scalpel 2000 with ultra fork and 2003 f3000sl with lefty carbon and I think the scalpel's handling is just too twitchy and just is not as stable as my f3000. I noticed that c-dale made some geometry changes to the Scalpel after the first year and I wonder if it's any better. it's geometry is now closer to the hardtail. both my bikes have the same tires.

anyone have any thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    anyone have intimate riding experience with an older,first year, and newer Scalpel? I ride an 2002(1st yr) Scalpel 2000 with ultra fork and 2003 f3000sl with lefty carbon and I think the scalpel's handling is just too twitchy and just is not as stable as my f3000. I noticed that c-dale made some geometry changes to the Scalpel after the first year and I wonder if it's any better. it's geometry is now closer to the hardtail. both my bikes have the same tires.

anyone have any thoughts?
    I haven't ridden the Scalpel (too much temptation) however I have 2 recent team replica hardtails. It always amazes me how much you can change the twitchiness of the bike by varying the stem length. If you can, try a slightly longer stem to stabilise the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    can't really do it because both bikes are set up exactly the same.