mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New to off-road and looking at Cannondale F5

Hey what's up everyone. I've only been off-road about 5 times and all of the times it was a rental or someone else's bike. Now I'm looking to buy my own. I like the F5 because its what I can afford and I dont want to spend too much as a novice to the off-road biking.
    Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the new F5?
    Also looking at the Rockhopper and a friend recommended a Kona.
    Last edited by mickdirt; 07-06-2008 at 02:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Mickdirt

Hows tricks? Any of the bikes mentioned are great bikes from manufacturers with good reputations, I imagine that the Kona is probably the model called 'Blast'

At this price point they are pretty much of a muchness when it comes to spec of the bikes! As long as the frame and forks are sound then the rest of the components are neither here nor there! One manufacturer may fit a better rear mech than another BUT that other Manufacturer may fit better brakes so the money is just being shifted around to the components that catch your eye when you look at the bikes (just bling trickery really)

when components do wear out you can always upgrade to lighter/ tougher components anyway! The main thing to do though is to get a test ride on the three you have short listed, the designer of the bike will be of a certain size/height and he would most probably have designed the bike to be perfect to his/her height. So (for example only) if the bike was originally designed by a person who rides a medium then the optimum size for that frame would be a medium. If the frame is then made into a small or large version the tube lengths would have to be lengthened or shortened which would in effect alter the handling of the frame (Make it slower/faster in corners, or more/less stable at speed, depending on which size of bike you choose)

So as I say the main thing is to get a test ride on all the bikes and see which one feels like it was designed for you!

Hope this helps?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I rode an F4 and an F5 at the bike shop the otehr day. I went with the F4 just because the shocks are better (at least that's what i was told) and the hydraulic brakes were very nice. The ride on both bike were pretty similar.