Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

New to the Lefty scene

I bought a used 2007 Prophet with a Lefty Max 140 TPC. I have noticed a bit of oil film around the bottom of the boot and at the bottom of the shock tube. Is this normal or do I have a problem that needs to be addressed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Any thoughts for a first time Lefty owner?

Ridin' dirty!
    An oil film or dripping oil is never a good sign and not normal....
    An oily grime around the breather/airfilter is mostly normal though....That's the very top separate portion of the rubber boot that's about an inch wide.
    Can you post a picture?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I don't see anything around the breather area. The bottom area of the boot does have oil residue and some grime. Enought so it will leave a smudge on your finger. Same thing for the bottom od the shock. Can't say I've seen a drip. Only had the bike for 2 weeks and have ridden about 10 miles thus far. I am sure the film was there when i bought it, the bike was a little dirty when I got it. I'll take a couple of pictures and see if I can figure out how to post them.

I appreciate the help. I know of no one else in the area with a Lefty and the closest dealer is 2 hours away.

Ridin' dirty!
    Forum member Mendon is the HeadShok/Lefty Guru here and does a complete overhaul for around $40.-
    He has a shop and you get it back pretty quickly.
    If it's a used bike you never know how the fork had been treated by the previous owner so an overhaul would be something I'd highly recommend....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thank you. It sounds like it would be a good investment. I'll look for Mendon's contact information.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Sounds like a used fork, that just needs service. All forks come OEM with an O ring seal at the top end, which fails more quickly, than the quad seal which is used for service. That's where 99.9% of the leaks come from, when they show themselves at the bottom.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Craig,
    Thanks for the reply. Um, Mendon NY. Hey, I lived in Canisteo for 18 years and Binghamton prior to that all, before moving to Prattville AL. Now for the dumb question. Due to the distance between us is this something I can do my self with the right parts? I am a good wrench or an I best off to box it up and send it up to you?

Thanks

Like catnip for people
    There's a thread on here somewhere with instructions, but you'll need some tools and lots of patience apparently

Might want to check the tech section on the cannondale website too.

If I were you I'd just box it up and send it off to Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    There's a thread on here somewhere with instructions, but you'll need some tools and lots of patience apparently
    True. Act accordingly.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Craig,
    I'll see if I can figure out how to package it so there won't be shipping damage. Do you have a ball park on what you would charge for this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 07 Prophet
    Craig,
    I'll see if I can figure out how to package it so there won't be shipping damage. Do you have a ball park on what you would charge for this?

Thanks
    Any shop should have a fork box laying about. A bunch of newspaper packed tightly around, it'll survive just fine. Normal service, no parts replaced, is $35.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Craig,
    i'll find a box and I'll give you a heads up before I ship it. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Craig,
    Thanks for the reply. Um, Mendon NY. Hey, I lived in Canisteo for 18 years and Binghamton prior to that all, before moving to Prattville AL. Now for the dumb question. Due to the distance between us is this something I can do my self with the right parts? I am a good wrench or an I best off to box it up and send it up to you?

Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken, Cahaba Cycles at Exit 246 on I-65 is a C-Dale dealer. That should be only about an hour from you if you're up that way. But, that's 2 hours both ways, so maybe that's what you meant. If you haven't been to Oak Mountain to ride,(same exit) its well worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I called Cahaba Cycles and they told me that they never go inside a Lefty. They only remove them and send them in to Cannondale. And they will do all that for 90 to $95. So when I can get time it will go to Craig.

I am going to give Oak Mountain a ride. A lot of folks have told me it is a nice ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm in Idaho right now but I'm moving to Birmingham in July. I lived on the Mississippi coast for 7 years and traveled to Oak Mountain several times a year to ride. I can't wait to get back to the south and ride year round.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I am thinking my oil leak was because the compression damper knob was not seated. The o-ring was barely touching the nut. I was going to do an oil change - but I find a spiral pin that appears to be locking the nut in place as it is right in the thread line. How do I remove the spiral pin so I can remove the dampner nut?
    Thought I would try this before I sent it to Craig.

I am thinking my oil leak was because the compression damper knob was not seated. The o-ring was barely touching the nut. I was going to do an oil change - but I find a spiral pin that appears to be locking the nut in place as it is right in the thread line. How do I remove the spiral pin so I can remove the dampner nut?
    Your terminology is preventing me from really understanding what's going on (sorry), but the O ring seal on the bottom of the blue knob is not in any way, an oil seal. It's preventing dirt from getting into the compression shaft, that's all.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I was hoping for simple. So it will be on its way to you as soon as I get a box. Now the spiral pin is interesting. So that I can change the oil in the future - how do I remove the pin?

I Now the spiral pin is interesting. So that I can change the oil in the future - how do I remove the pin?

What are you referring to by spiral pin? I'm not even getting a picture in my head, sorry, I'm kinda thick sometimes

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Picture looking at the bottome end of the shock. You see the dampner shaft sticking out of the dampner nut and you can see the parting line between the threads of the outer tube and the threads of the dampner nut. Right on that parting line (I called it the thread line earlier) you can see the end of a spiral roll pin. I'll see if I can post a picture of it later today.

Picture looking at the bottome end of the shock. You see the dampner shaft sticking out of the dampner nut and you can see the parting line between the threads of the outer tube and the threads of the dampner nut. Right on that parting line (I called it the thread line earlier) you can see the end of a spiral roll pin. I'll see if I can post a picture of it later today.

So, you're talking about what appears to just be a small hole in the end of the fork, to the side of the wrench flats that allow you to remove the whole black compression assembly? If so, that's irrelevant to any procedure that you'd be doing. It has no part of taking the fork apart at all.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Craig, here is a picture of the location on the roll pin. Also you might note the degree of oil residue on the housing. Your comments are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My Lefty DLR2 leaks oil a bit. There always was a bit of oil at the bottom, until one day I blew a seal and it started hermoraging. Had it completely rebuilt by a dealer immediately, but there's still a tiny bit of an oil film below the boot after a couple rides. No big deal, been fine for a month of semi-daily riding and still works and performs fine. Sort of like the Oldsmobile Cutlass of forks.

Oh btw, keep it clean to avoid contaminating your brakes! Also, I have heard that the OEM seals are bad.

Craig, here is a picture of the location on the roll pin. Also you might note the degree of oil residue on the housing. Your comments are appreciated.
    Yep, as I thought. You, I, or anyone else doing work of any normal kind on your fork, will never have need to touch that. It's part of the manufacturing proccess, so you can just ignore it, like paint on a wall As for oil, I'm not making out any large mess. Should I be?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast