mtbr member

New to Lefty - Handling Question

How does the assymetrical setup of the Left affect the handling of the bike? I have never rode one, but it seems like it would pull to one side. Is there any noticeable pull? Ive heard very good things about them, but was wondering what the benefit of this design is? Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    It only pulls to the left if you ride with no hands. Otherwise, it goes where you point it.
    Advantages:

a) Large diameter stanchions don't flex.
    b) Slider rides on needle bearing instead of bushings, no stiction and again, no flex.
    c) Stanchion can be adjusted up or down in clamps for slight geometry change.
    d) Best strength to weight ratio in its class.
    e) Change front tire w/o removing wheel.
    f ) Big hollow 1.5" steerer tube is a good place to store tools, CO2, and a lightweight tube.
    g) Easy maintenance.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by dogwood
    It only pulls to the left if you ride with no hands. Otherwise, it goes where you point it.
    Advantages:

a) Large diameter stanchions don't flex.
    b) Slider rides on needle bearing instead of bushings, no stiction and again, no flex.
    c) Stanchion can be adjusted up or down in clamps for slight geometry change.
    d) Best strength to weight ratio in its class.
    e) Change front tire w/o removing wheel.
    f ) Big hollow 1.5" steerer tube is a good place to store tools, CO2, and a lightweight tube.
    g) Easy maintenance.
    I have nothing useful to add, but just wanted to second all the dogwood said. The only thing you notice about the Lefty when riding it is how much better control you have than with standard forks.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

Are you talking to me?

What these guys said.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw
    I have nothing useful to add, but just wanted to second all the dogwood said. The only thing you notice about the Lefty when riding it is how much better control you have than with standard forks.
    The only way I can go to a different fork is if it is a DC setup. Anything else just tracks badly. My Lefty Max TPC+ is an awesome bit of technology gone bad. Really bad.
    gfy

mtbr member

Nothing but the best!

i ride a lefty dlr on a jekyll, in addition my friend has one that he is selling (he bought a blur) i rode it on our ride last sat for about 3 hours to see what his Hope mini disc brakes were like ( i am currently running avid mech - and i am happy) Towards the end of the ride another friend (who rides a sugar with a marazochi bomber) wanted to try it out. He only rode for about 10 minutes before we were back to the truck, and had already made up his mind that he wants to buy the bike. (and he had not even considered it up till this point, he just wanted to see what it felt like) He said it tracked so much better than anything else he has ridden and that he could just point and go. Needless to say he didn't want to get back on his bike again

I could write all day about the many times that I KNOW the lefty has saved my rear end when i made a mistake, in fact when my friend rode the bike i rode his and almost killed myself because i was use to how the lefty runs that my instinct expected that and the Marazochi bomber almost tossed me!

Just my $.02--but you can't really appreciate the lefty until you ride it-- GOOD LUCK
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    What do you mean by DC'd, I am looking at the new max's they look nice, and i love my dlr.

Are you talking to me?

I mean a DC downhill fork.

Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    What do you mean by DC'd, I am looking at the new max's they look nice, and i love my dlr.
    Like a Dorado or a 888R. I love the Lefty Max that I have. It is super sweet. It is just not enough travel to match the Gemini in the 7" travel position. Fine for 5" and 6" rear.
    gfy

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    DC = Dual Crown, which technically the Lefty's have. If you like the DLR, but would like an even beefier, longer travel version, then you'll love the new Max.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815