26er

The new Jekyll Review

Here is my review of the new Jekyll Carbon 1.

Pros:
    Lightweight and manuverable
    Travel Adjust
    10 spd
    climbing
    technical descents
    beefy pivots
    shock setup

Cons:
    White Grips - already dirty after 10 rides
    Water bottle cage mount - tricky mounting and does not sit against the frame due to cables underneath

Riding impressions:

Uphill: The bike climbs well in the 90mm in the rear and does not wallow on long technical climbs like horst link bikes. When the climb gets really steep it is nice to put the fork in 120mm mode up front to keep the front down.The front on the bike does feel a little light on really steep climbs in 150mm mode up front, but the new talas does make for an easy switch. The sun ringle wheels are also nice and stiff on the climbs. No issues with the 10spd and it is nice to the 36 in the back.

Flats: The bike pedals well on flats in the flow mode and unless you are really pushing it I see no need to put it in 90mm mode.

Downhills: Flip the bike in flow mode and this bike just eats up the rocks and rails the singletrack. The bottom bracket height is perfect for this type of bike. It took me a little while to get use to the wider handle bars and I am a little concerned about the width when I start riding in the trees so we will have to see. The avid brakes have good modulation on the downhill and it is nice to be able to adjust the pad distance and lever reach easily. When it came to super rocky and tight descents this bike left the 29ers in the dust. A combination of light weight and ample travel allow me to bomb through rocks and tight turns that held up other bikes. The sun ringle wheels also hold a line well and appear to handle drops and jumps well.

I do really like the flip switch for the rear travel since it is easy to pop the bike into flow mode from climbing with a little bit of thumb pressure on the release button.
    Last edited by smilycook; 03-01-2011 at 07:56 AM.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

I'm with stupid
    Thanks for taking the time to review the bike for us. Have you ridden a rize or RZ140 WITHOUT a lefty shock and could do a bit of a comparison?

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    Thanks for taking the time to review the bike for us. Have you ridden a rize or RZ140 WITHOUT a lefty shock and could do a bit of a comparison?
    This is my first cannondale and I have no experience on the RZ140.

Here are some of the bikes I have ridden recently and I think the Jekyll is superior:
    titus motolight (old main bike)

Rentals/Demo:
    Santa Cruz Nomad/Blur LT
    Trek Remedy
    Scott Genius
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not all Horst link bikes are built equal, mine has no perceivable "wallow" whatsoever

Glad your enjoying your bike though, keep having fun

T.W.O.
    That's good stuff, thanks for the review. Is it a pull shock and how is it compare to the conventional shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I see you rode a Scott Genius in the past, how does it compare?

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemtb
    I see you rode a Scott Genius in the past, how does it compare?
    I though the Scott had more of a xc-racing feel and geometry compared to the all-mountain geometry on the Jekyll. The Scott seemed less stable on the downhill. I don't do any racing so the Scott did not appeal to me even though it was cheaper.

Both bikes have a pull shock and a similar idea the Jekyll was just better for me.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    guys- whats the frame warranty on the new jekyll? carbon and aluminum models? thx!
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    guys- whats the frame warranty on the new jekyll? carbon and aluminum models? thx!
    Lifetime.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the review smilycook! I think this is going to be my next bike. I've owned a lot of Specialized bikes and I am currently riding a C-dale Rush. I used to have a Specialized Enduro SL before the Rush. I'm curious to know if you've ever ridden an Enduro SL and if so how does the Jekyll compare?
    Last edited by tg26; 02-18-2011 at 02:47 PM.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the review!

Was the rear suspension on your jekyll more plush than scott or was it about the same?

Did the jekyll feel as plush as the other bike you tested with push type shocks?

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay
    Thanks for the review!

Was the rear suspension on your jekyll more plush than scott or was it about the same?

Did the jekyll feel as plush as the other bike you tested with push type shocks?
    It was a lot more plush than the scott in flow mode compared to there long travel mode. The suspension felt very similar in the short travel setting.

The bike is plusher than the nomad and trek in flow mode, it is hard to compete with two separate chambers compared to only one.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by tg26
    Thanks for the review smilycook! I think this is going to be my next bike. I've owned a lot of Specialized bikes and I am currently riding a C-dale Rush. I used to have a Specialized Enduro SL before the Rush. I'm curious to know if you've ever ridden an Enduro SL and if so how does the Jekyll compare?
    Never been on a rush or enduro so I can't compare.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How is the Talas fork?
    Plush or stiction?

I have a RZ 140 Carbon 1and love the plushness of the air lefty, its the only thing keeping me from buying the Jekyll Ultimate, I had Fox forks before and always felt they lacked plushness.

Hope this one is better

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by motoadve
    How is the Talas fork?
    Plush or stiction?

I have a RZ 140 Carbon 1and love the plushness of the air lefty, its the only thing keeping me from buying the Jekyll Ultimate, I had Fox forks before and always felt they lacked plushness.

Hope this one is better
    Right now the fox is fairly plush, but we will have to see how it feels in a couple of months. Certainly does not compare to an open bath marz fork.

Don't the leftys have fox internals these days?
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm sure the Jekyll will climb better than my Prophetl Does it have a full confidence inspiring solid feel? Rocky turns-This will probably be my next so please more info. How is it on beg G-outs in both modes, short sharp G-outs? Keep talking.

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    I'm sure the Jekyll will climb better than my Prophetl Does it have a full confidence inspiring solid feel? Rocky turns-This will probably be my next so please more info. How is it on beg G-outs in both modes, short sharp G-outs? Keep talking.
    The bike has a very confidence inspiring feel and tracks very well. In the rocky twist and turns the bike does track very well in the direction you point it. Cannondale really did a nice job in making sure the pivots had no lateral flex.

In the flow mode setting the rear feels a lot like a coil sprung shock and does not just bottom out in G-outs. I have also done some drops and jumps with it and impressed with the shock not bottoming out like some other air shocks. I have not hit anything big with it in the short travel mode, just a little wary of doing this.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Would you have been just as happy if they only had the flow mode?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is this the ultimate?
    what is the weight?

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    Would you have been just as happy if they only had the flow mode?
    I would have probably bought the Ibis HD if this bike only had the flow mode. The switch lever between the two modes is very quick and easy so it makes for fast transitions. Climbing is amazing in the short travel mode for the amount of travel you have.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by motoadve
    Is this the ultimate?
    what is the weight?
    Carbon 1. The shop I bought it from says the weight matched what is on the web without the reverb so 26.4lbs plus 1lbs for the reverb.
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    Carbon 1. The shop I bought it from says the weight matched what is on the web without the reverb so 26.4lbs plus 1lbs for the reverb.

Weight is a Med or Large?
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    Weight is a Med or Large?
    Large
    Live to ride!

Transition Bottle Rocket