Be about it!

Cool-blue Rhythm New Gemini Owner -- Need some recommendations

What'up! My first C-Dale and my 2nd full suspension (had a Sugar before).

I just got this used '03 Gemini 1000 and had some questions on upgrading it to lighten it and to help make it climb better. It already came upgraded with Romic D rear shock, Sherman fork, Danger Boy levers, Bash Guard and Chain Guide, Thompson post, Easton Monkey Lite handle bars, Race Face stem and tubeless DH tires.

Definately set up for downhilling. I'm a more of a x-country/all mountain rider who's been riding harder, taking bigger jumps and more techinical rides. BUT, I still need this bad boy to climb -- I do a lot of climbing. The way it's set up now, it was perfect for the shuttle ride we did -- man it was like butter going down!

Right now the bike weighs 35lbs (on a home scale). Although I'm no weight-weenie, I think that I could lighten it up by about 4lbs at least and make it a little easier to climb. I hardly do the shuttle thing, but I want this bike to be a go-anywhere/do-anything kinda bike. The burly frame and swingarm is real cool -- so I like that it has some heft -- just need to make it efficient as possible.

So what suggestions do ya'll have in helping me to lighten this bike and still keep it for aggressive x-county, light DH'ing.

1.) Is there a lighter spring fork that is just as stiff, but maybe a little better for climbing than the Sherman -- I'd like to stick with 6" travel and 20mm?

2.) Is there a better rear shock that's more suitable for climbing but still plush?

3.) Recommendation on aggressive tubelss tires that are pretty light.

4.) Any other suggestions are definately welcomed.

BTW, I'm selling off my 2001 Intense Uzzi SLX size Medium if anyone's interested. Will make a killer deal. It's too much bike for me and I'm cleaning house.

Peace.
    Moe

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Moe better with more chedda

I think I answered your post on another site. I didnt realize you had tubeless DH tires. You could go with a smaller tire to lighten the load. You dont have to have tubeless specific tires to run no tubes. Honestly, 35lbs is light for a bike that you want to do some xc/fr on. The romic is a sweet shock that can be lightened with a titanium spring but it is pricy. It will save close to 1lb. You wont find a much lighter 6" shock as heavy duty as the sherman. Some companies are coming out with 05 longer travel single crowns that may be lighter.

DEE MAX rims are lighter than almost all of the current DH/FR rims on the market. Just remember to get the old yellow 36 hole ones if you get them. I hear the new ones are poop. You can run a xc stem and crankset like XT/XTR but there will be flex on drops etc. Clipless pedals will cut weight but are a pain when riding skinnies etc. Crank Bros mallet m are very light and can be used as a platform pedal or clipped in. There is always a compromise when you want to have a bike that can ridden xc/freeride and weight is always a negative factor. With that said you chose the right bike because the Gemini is probably the lightest long travel bike right now. For the sake of arguement I do not consider the Ellsworth Id and Moment and other 6" trail bikes in the same category as the Gemini.

Have fun.
    Last edited by ronny; 08-25-2004 at 12:39 AM.

Be about it!

Thanks for the recommendations!

Hey Wattup Ronny:

Thanks for the replies bro.

Yeah I think I'll take your suggestions on the smaller tires -- they have the 2.35 maxxis tires and they're real burly -- definately lighter than what I have on the Uzzi. I didn't know you could run tires other than tubelss on tubeless wheels -- good to know.

Yeah I think you're right about 35lbs being a good weight for what I have on the bike now. I mean that thing was the bomb going down big bear -- I was going down stuff I never thought I'd ever do -- especially with my old Sugar. Because I wasn't used to the bike and probably pushed it beyond my capabilities, I got into some pretty nasty stuff, but the Gemini just shined -- man it was real cool.

I'll look into the DEE MAX (older) wheels -- I think those wheels along with smaller tires should be helpful.

I'd really hate to lose the RaceFace stem -- that thing is hella PHAT! 1.5 steerer is the shiznit. Maybe going Thompson stem wouldn't be so bad -- it would at least extend the handlebar out a little further which should help with climbing -- but dang I love the RaceFace.

I think I might just do the wheels, cranks and pedals and leave the rest of it. If I only lose a pound then so be it. I'll just have to build my endurance. When I beefed up the forks, rear shock and tires on the Sugar, it made a big difference -- took me a few rides to build my legs up to handle the extra weight and keep my old pace. So this'll be a good challenge. The only thing is, my buddy who I'm always trying to catch going up is on a Burner -- he's a fast climber anyways and is just nuts going down -- he doesn't care and flies even without the travel. But he's also 40lbs lighter than me.

Yeah dude you're absolutely right about compromise. You know I thought about selling the Gemini along with the Uzzi, but I really like the Gemini. I thought about the Heckler or Blur and I know they're great bikes. But the Gemini is just so cool -- I like that there's not many people around here riding one and the travel to rideability is hard to find.

BTW, what would you say is in the class with the Gemini?

Thanks again Ronny -- peace out.

Moe

Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    I think I answered your post on another site. I didnt realize you had tubeless DH tires. You could go with a smaller tire to lighten the load. You dont have to have tubeless specific tires to run no tubes. Honestly, 35lbs is light for a bike that you want to do some xc/fr on. The romic is a sweet shock that can be lightened with a titanium spring but it is pricy. It will save close to 1lb. You wont find a much lighter 6" shock as heavy duty as the sherman. Some companies are coming out with 05 longer travel single crowns that may be lighter.

DEE MAX rims are lighter than almost all of the current DH/FR rims on the market. Just remember to get the old yellow 36 hole ones if you get them. I hear the new ones are poop. You can run a xc stem and crankset like XT/XTR but there will be flex on drops etc. Clipless pedals will cut weight but are a pain when riding skinnies etc. Crank Bros mallet m are very light and can be used as a platform pedal or clipped in. There is always a compromise when you want to have a bike that can ridden xc/freeride and weight is always a negative factor. With that said you chose the right bike because the Gemini is probably the lightest long travel bike right now. For the sake of arguement I do not consider the Ellsworth Id and Moment and other 6" trail bikes in the same category as the Gemini.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

A few.

Quote Originally Posted by MoeChedda
    Hey Wattup Ronny:

Thanks for the replies bro.

Yeah I think I'll take your suggestions on the smaller tires -- they have the 2.35 maxxis tires and they're real burly -- definately lighter than what I have on the Uzzi. I didn't know you could run tires other than tubelss on tubeless wheels -- good to know.

Yeah I think you're right about 35lbs being a good weight for what I have on the bike now. I mean that thing was the bomb going down big bear -- I was going down stuff I never thought I'd ever do -- especially with my old Sugar. Because I wasn't used to the bike and probably pushed it beyond my capabilities, I got into some pretty nasty stuff, but the Gemini just shined -- man it was real cool.

I'll look into the DEE MAX (older) wheels -- I think those wheels along with smaller tires should be helpful.

I'd really hate to lose the RaceFace stem -- that thing is hella PHAT! 1.5 steerer is the shiznit. Maybe going Thompson stem wouldn't be so bad -- it would at least extend the handlebar out a little further which should help with climbing -- but dang I love the RaceFace.

I think I might just do the wheels, cranks and pedals and leave the rest of it. If I only lose a pound then so be it. I'll just have to build my endurance. When I beefed up the forks, rear shock and tires on the Sugar, it made a big difference -- took me a few rides to build my legs up to handle the extra weight and keep my old pace. So this'll be a good challenge. The only thing is, my buddy who I'm always trying to catch going up is on a Burner -- he's a fast climber anyways and is just nuts going down -- he doesn't care and flies even without the travel. But he's also 40lbs lighter than me.

Yeah dude you're absolutely right about compromise. You know I thought about selling the Gemini along with the Uzzi, but I really like the Gemini. I thought about the Heckler or Blur and I know they're great bikes. But the Gemini is just so cool -- I like that there's not many people around here riding one and the travel to rideability is hard to find.

BTW, what would you say is in the class with the Gemini?

Thanks again Ronny -- peace out.

Moe
    The Gemini is cool. I am running the same type of bike as you which is the Ellsworth Joker and face the same problems like weight issues. I dont want and cant afford two bikes so a heavier trail/FR bike that can be used for both is a decent compromise. As far as bikes that are in the same class as the Gemini there is the Yeti ASX, Joker 7", Heckler,
    Azonic sabre, Turner 5 spot, Uzzi. Probably more I am not an expert by any means.

No long travel bike measures up to the Gemini as far as price and most are heavier. The bikes I mentioned all cost more. Some like mine a hell of a lot more. I learned that the hard way. Dont get me wrong I like my bike but I had never rode a Gemini until after I bought it. Mistake. The Heckler and 5-spot are good bikes but dont have the 7" of travel. Some dudes have mentioned the Bullit which is a classic freeride but does not measure up to the Gemini as far as an all around bike.